Bangkok scorched at 38°C with thunderstorms looming

webfact

image.jpeg

Bangkok and its surrounding regions are experiencing scorching temperatures today, with highs reaching a blistering 38 degrees Celsius. Meanwhile, thunderstorms are predicted in some areas of the northeastern and eastern provinces.

The latest forecast by the Meteorological Department of Thailand (TMD) indicates that a low-pressure system, caused by intense heat covering the upper parts of Thailand, is contributing to the severe weather, with scorching conditions persisting and thunderstorms expected during the day in some localities.

In the north, the heat is unrelenting, with similar conditions of thunderstorms covering 10% of the area, particularly in the provinces of Phitsanulok and Phetchabun. With minimum temperatures ranging from 19 to 25 degrees Celsius and maximums soaring to 37 to 40 degrees Celsius, the contrast between day and night temperatures is stark.

The northeastern region is not spared, with thunderstorms expected in 20% of the area, affecting provinces such as Loei, Chaiyaphum, Nakhon Ratchasima, Nong Bua Lamphu, Khon Kaen, Buri Ram, Surin, Sisaket, and Ubon Ratchathani. The temperatures there are slightly cooler, with lows of 21 to 26 degrees Celsius and highs between 34 and 38 degrees Celsius.

Central Thailand, with provinces like Kanchanaburi, Ratchaburi, Lopburi, Saraburi, and Ayutthaya, is also feeling the heat. Here, thunderstorms are expected in 10% of the region, with temperature lows of 24 to 27 degrees Celsius and highs between 36 and 40 degrees Celsius.

The eastern region, including Prachinburi, Sa Kaeo, Chachoengsao, Chon Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi, and Trat, is experiencing similar weather patterns, with thunderstorms in 20% of the area and temperatures ranging from 25 to 30 degrees Celsius at night to 33 to 37 degrees Celsius during the day. Sea conditions are relatively calm with waves less than 1 metre high, but areas with thunderstorms may see waves exceeding this height.

The southern region, particularly the eastern coast encompassing Surat Thani, Phatthalung, Songkhla, Yala, Pattani, and Narathiwat, is not exempt from the heat with daytime temperatures. Thunderstorms are likely in 10% of this region, with cooler temperatures ranging from 23 to 26 degrees Celsius and maximum temperatures reaching 33 to 38 degrees Celsius. The sea here is also expected to be moderately calm, with wave heights around 1 metre, but this could increase in stormy conditions.

Temperature rises

On the west coast, including popular tourist destinations such as Phuket, Krabi, Trang, and Satun, the weather is similarly hot, with thunderstorms in 20% of the area. The temperatures here range from 24 to 27 degrees Celsius at night to 35 to 38 degrees Celsius during the day, with the sea presenting waves around 1 metre high, increasing in storm-affected zones, reported KhaoSod.

The weather conditions in Bangkok and the vicinity mimic the broader regional pattern, with occasional thunderstorms in 10% of the area and temperatures ranging from a minimum of 29 to 30 degrees Celsius to a maximum of 36 to 38 degrees Celsius.

Residents and visitors alike are advised to stay hydrated and to seek shelter during thunderstorms, as the weather remains unpredictable with sudden changes in conditions.

by Nattapong Westwood

Picture courtesy of lifeforstock, Freepik

Source: The Thaiger 2024-03-28

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

1000x500-3.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yay on the Thunderstorm part, and hopefully a very early rainy season.   Last outing and the temps were getting up there 35ish, and feels like 40ish.   Kind of takes your motivation of walking around & exploring away in the afternoon sun.  Good think I'm a morning person.

Careful out there, stay hydrated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

with highs reaching a blistering 38 degrees Celsius

HOT SEASON!!!!!!!!!!! >40-45C for several days running then they would have a story. As it is it's a NON-STORY about average hot season temperatures.

Edit: Actually tepms of >40C for days on end isn't that unusual during the hot season.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

HOT SEASON!!!!!!!!!!! >40-45C for several days running then they would have a story. As it is it's a NON-STORY about average hot season temperatures.

As it is the article mentions degrees C, it doesn't however mention the wet bulb temperature which is the real killer. A straight forward 40 degrees of dry heat is nothing, a high humidity wet bulb 36 degrees can kill you.

https://www.weather.gov/source/zhu/ZHU_Training_Page/definitions/dry_wet_bulb_definition/dry_wet_bulb.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

As it is the article mentions degrees C, it doesn't however mention the wet bulb temperature which is the real killer. A straight forward 40 degrees of dry heat is nothing, a high humidity wet bulb 36 degrees can kill you.

https://www.weather.gov/source/zhu/ZHU_Training_Page/definitions/dry_wet_bulb_definition/dry_wet_bulb.html

Not disagreeing. The temps they mention are to the standard of temperature taken in the shade. Sure there is humidity to take into account and what it now referred to as "feels like" temperature but that doesn't change the fact that the temps in the article and almost every day articles about "THE HEAT WAVE", SCORCHING HEAT", BLISTERING HEAT" etc. are basically average hot season temperatures. Nothing unusaul at all.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Yay on the Thunderstorm part, and hopefully a very early rainy season.   Last outing and the temps were getting up there 35ish, and feels like 40ish.   Kind of takes your motivation of walking around & exploring away in the afternoon sun.  Good think I'm a morning person.

Careful out there, stay hydrated.

Our little peninsular had its first rain this morning for 2024.

A little drizzle for less than 60 seconds.

More rain here please!

• Haha 1

Just now, dinsdale said:

Not disagreeing. The temps they mention are to the standard of temperature taken in the shade. Sure there is humidity to take into account and what it now referred to as "feels like" temperature but that doesn't change the fact that the temps in the article and every almost daily articles about "THE HEAT WAVE", SCORCHING HEAT", BLISTERING HEAT" etc. are basically average hot season temperatures. Nothing unusaul at all.

You should check to see how wet bulb temperatures is measured. I worked outside in 36 degrees with high humidity last year and for the first time ever, almost passed out from heat exhaustion without realising.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mike Lister said:

You should check to see how wet bulb temperatures is measured. I worked outside in 36 degrees with high humidity last year and for the first time ever, almost passed out from heat exhaustion without realising.

Where I am now just outside of Bangkok the humidity is 55% (I'm guessing wet bulb=humidity) and the temp is 35°C. Overnight min of 27°C with today's max being 36°C. Average hot season weather.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, proton said:

Anyone else fed up with the mrs telling them it's rawn every 20 minutes?

Hon in Issan. Not sure about Eng spelling.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Bangkok and its surrounding regions are experiencing scorching temperatures today, with highs reaching a blistering 38 degrees Celsius. Meanwhile, thunderstorms are predicted in some areas of the northeastern and eastern provinces.

38C now in Nakhon pathom at only 13:00, slightly hazy sky feeling very sticky...

definitely need some rain, the last morning shower was Wednesday 20th

I really do not care how hot it is for a few days, I just want it to rain for about a week !! I honestly cannot remember a day where it rained all day for several years - I have tried telling the wife in the UK it like rains for month or weeks on end - she thinks I am porky pie'ing 

22 minutes ago, george said:

There have been severe weather warnings for at least the last 3 wks with no severe weather resulting. If anything so far the hot season hasn't been that hot IMO. As for summer storms one last week (nice storm for about an hr in Kanachanaburi where I was at the time) but that's been about it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

My bulbs are wet at 40c, dry heat or humid. Ain't dead yet, though my taint could use a wash n swaddle. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I like the 'wonderground' site for weather.   Fairly accurate, with nice 10 day forecast chart.  Also has the low/high expected with the 'feel like' temp.

image.png.40fa52fa28c399406048725dafc2d4a8.png

Yes, that is a good site for basic data and a forecast too.
Another site supplies historical detail and compares it to the typical temperatures for that day. So far, Bangkok is warmer than average this year. Take a look at the temperature measurement vs the thin red line that tracks the historical average temperatures as recorded at
•   https://weatherspark.com/h/y/113416/2024/Historical-Weather-during-2024-in-Bangkok-Thailand
Bangkok2024ThroughMar.jpg.3150db6e41aed5d0cf930d7480663873.jpg

The data collected on the above site agrees well with the Weather DataGFS (Global Forecast System) assembled from EMC / NCEP / NWS / NOAA and posted on https://earth.nullschool.net/

The site can be set for a specific "home" GPS setting and will provide a few days forecast.

March28th.jpg.5c984951c12a2e89cfd278dab8136ee4.jpg

Locations that are not on weatherspark.com list of sites may have reporting, but I have found the data to be unreliable as to reporting relative humidity. Maybe their equipment is poor, or the equipment is not well placed. People reporting 55% humidity while stating the temperature is over 35ºC might be accessing such sites. Alternatively, the conditions are short term. Such readings are in the range that can not be endured for long.
Looking at Thailand for March 28th, such conditions were NOT seen. One of the worst readings was 37ºC with 37% relative humidity.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Bobthegimp said:

My bulbs are wet at 40c, dry heat or humid. Ain't dead yet, though my taint could use a wash n swaddle. 

The first couple of minutes of this PBS video explains Wet Bulb, and a demonstration of how it is roughly measured.