The chances this may work? (Opening a thai bank account as a tourist)

I am on a tourist visa. I also have a Thai bank account which I was lucky to open 12 years ago. Now I need to open one more account at another bank. And I know that this is not that easy as before. What if I bring 1 mln baht in cash and promise to deposit it into my newly opened account? What are the chances that this will work? Or is it just a waste of time?

Edited by Hellfire
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, FARANG KIWI said:

I was in the same situation 15 years ago.

You do not say where you are but if in Bangkok try Bangkok Bank on Sukumvitt Road ( near Soi 8 )

They were Tourist friendly to me in opening!

Pattaya

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

. Make sure to collect the bank girls phone numbers after they started opening the account, they are likely interested.

Jesus wept goddam coffee has just gone spraying all over the  laptop lol

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Bring someone looking half decent, speaking correct Thai with you, to avoid the language issue initially. Secondly bring that cash, sure it will get done. Make sure to collect the bank girls phone numbers after they started opening the account, they are likely interested.

None of what you list will make one iota difference 

• Agree 2

57 minutes ago, FARANG KIWI said:

I was in the same situation 15 years ago.

You do not say where you are but if in Bangkok try Bangkok Bank on Sukumvitt Road ( near Soi 8 )

They were Tourist friendly to me in opening!

bumrungrad hospital branch is also excellent

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

You could get a definitive answer, by going into the banks and asking them , that way you will know for sure 

Imagine going to 5-6 banks with a pile of cash and getting “no” at each one of them. I think I will try to go the agency way.

Edited by Hellfire
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hellfire said:

Imagine going to 5-6 banks with a bunch of cash and getting “no” at each one of them. I think I will try to go the agency way.

No need to actually take the cash , just ask whether having the cash will make any difference .

Although I doubt whether the bank employee would break any rules, just because you had wads of cash for a deposit 

• Agree 2

24 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

No need to actually take the cash , just ask whether having the cash will make any difference .

Although I doubt whether the bank employee would break any rules, just because you had wads of cash for a deposit 

Yes, most probably it will not make a difference for a bank clerk

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Hellfire said:

I am on a tourist visa. I also have a Thai bank account which I was lucky to open 12 years ago. Now I need to open one more account at another bank. And I know that this is not that easy as before. What if I bring 1 mln baht in cash and promise to deposit it into my newly opened account? What are the chances that this will work? Or is it just a waste of time?

I would imagine 1M THB in cash would be a negative, like 'where did you get it?'

Suggest 38000 THB would be plenty to open, whilst perhaps implying 800k+ to follow once set up.

There's a strict order not to open account for tourists. April 2023. Told by senior manager at Bangkok Bank Silom. Period.

Get any other visa and you might get lucky. 

Thai GF or Wife won't help

Also joint accounts are over as well. Same guy told "luck couple" (farang + decent looking thai female) - their purpose was to buy a condo but no, sorry, can not.

Saying that still agents CAN help - how I have no idea, but they do miracles! For example an agent changed guy's expired debit card without guy himself and passport to sow. Only ancient bank book. I saw the card, it was 2023 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Caldera said:

As you're in Pattaya, opening a bank account is a cake walk using an agent. 

Yes, this is the route I will most likely choose. What is a reasonable price for this kind of “help”?

OP doesn't mention his nationality, which may make a difference, especially if he's American.  Which is neither here nor there if he is planning on using an agent.  They should know what KYC requirements may cause issues.

Please post back with your results. 

And let us know how they're handling the million baht for tax purposes.  Though I doubt we'll know for sure until it's time to do the annual reporting to the Revenue Department, next year.

44 minutes ago, Hellfire said:

Yes, this is the route I will most likely choose. What is a reasonable price for this kind of “help”?

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

An agent can open an account with BBL.

Cost approx 4500b 

Banks have been ordered to open accounts for foreigners only when certain criteria are met, such as work permit or o visa with cert of residence etc. A tourist visa or waiver will not cut it like it used to, albeit Pattaya will be a better bet than most places if you chance it. As mentioned, try an agent. Siam Legal used to draft letters for 5k, but think they've even stopped that now.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, FARANG KIWI said:

I found it was just a case of going Bank to Bank to Bank untill one of them said Yes!

As you mentioned I also took my Wife along and 1 Mill in cash!!  Sure both of those helped my chances....

Just don't leave the bag on the back seat of the taxi!

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OR letter from embassy. 

UK,USA,AU do not provide that for address.

I had no issue having US Embassy notarize a short statement of my address for opening a new bank account (after they stopped providing income letters).  I did have to say use was for opening a bank account when requesting notarization.   They are just validating your signature.  But this was a few years ago now so things may have changed.  They did not have a form to do this - I just wrote a short statement.

1 hour ago, daveAustin said:

As mentioned, try an agent. Siam Legal used to draft letters for 5k, but think they've even stopped that now.

That is correct .

Siam legal have stopped assisting with opening bank account.

Believe Maneerat Pattaya still possible.

Not sure about thaivisacenter in bangkok