The chances this may work? (Opening a thai bank account as a tourist)

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

But this was a few years ago now so things may have changed.

Pretty sure that have for alternative to certificate of residence from immigration office.

Also CW requires TM47 to issue COR and the OP cannot provide that with a tourist visa.  

Some banks will be interested in attracting large deposits and may agree to open an account if the appropriate documents and conditions are available. But do not forget that banks may also require documents confirming the origin of funds and conduct additional checks to avoid possible problems with money laundering. In addition, possible restrictions or requirements for foreign nationals holding a tourist visa must be taken into account.

20 hours ago, FARANG KIWI said:

I was in the same situation 15 years ago.

You do not say where you are but if in Bangkok try Bangkok Bank on Sukumvitt Road ( near Soi 8 )

They were Tourist friendly to me in opening!

Same for me there, but 24 years ago. Opened it on a 30 day visa exempt from USA. Doubtful they are as accommodating these day...especially for us Yanks. 

21 hours ago, Hellfire said:

I am on a tourist visa. I also have a Thai bank account which I was lucky to open 12 years ago. Now I need to open one more account at another bank. And I know that this is not that easy as before. What if I bring 1 mln baht in cash and promise to deposit it into my newly opened account? What are the chances that this will work? Or is it just a waste of time?

As a tourist, Bangkok Bank in Central Marina will open an account for you, based on meeting fairly straightforward criteria.

Rental agreement.

Passport with valid tourist visa.

Although queues and waiting times can be long - Friendly and efficient service awaits for Thai and non Thai speakers alike, regardless of dresscode.

I recently helped a tourist friend open an account there, with no more than an atm card fee and 200 thb in the account - wasted time sampling the idiosyncratic delights and policies other Bkk branches had to offer - got a straight 'no' at one branch - a rather flustered manageress who couldn't take having her Thai authority and logic challenged in her mother tongue at a second, and another wanted to sell an insurance policy at around 8,000 thb for the account.

It's worth noting these other branches are perfectly capable of opening accounts easily, and were recommended by the Central Festival branch, as they were nearer to Pratumnak.

It made for eyerolling and laughter as I told them of my experiences and adventures.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Pla Simon said:

My apologies - not a Pattaya native - the branch for easy account opening is Bangkok Bank @ Central Festival - not Marina, as I may have alluded to.

Good Luck.

I await another report to confirm this.

All the recent threads regards opening a bank account in Pattaya and surrounding areas required a certificate of residence or letter from embassy.

So basically you are saying ...walk into bank you mention show pp with tourist visa stamp along with rental agreement (how long) and walk out with a Thai bank book. 

2 hours ago, Pla Simon said:

As a tourist, Bangkok Bank in Central Marina will open an account for you, based on meeting fairly straightforward criteria.

Rental agreement.

Passport with valid tourist visa.

Although queues and waiting times can be long - Friendly and efficient service awaits for Thai and non Thai speakers alike, regardless of dresscode.

I recently helped a tourist friend open an account there, with no more than an atm card fee and 200 thb in the account - wasted time sampling the idiosyncratic delights and policies other Bkk branches had to offer - got a straight 'no' at one branch - a rather flustered manageress who couldn't take having her Thai authority and logic challenged in her mother tongue at a second, and another wanted to sell an insurance policy at around 8,000 thb for the account.

It's worth noting these other branches are perfectly capable of opening accounts easily, and were recommended by the Central Festival branch, as they were nearer to Pratumnak.

It made for eyerolling and laughter as I told them of my experiences and adventures.

Well done. Certainly not the norm, albeit better chance in places with more tourists. A local Krung Thai was fairly keen to open me an account quite recently without visa etc. They showed me the drill down list for what conditions management have deemed necessary to be met. Things could likely be expedited if you know bank staff on high floors. 

As mentioned, tougher measures are largely to hamper laundering efforts, which is bizarre given the number of cheap Otteri shops nowadays. 😋

• Confused 1

This topic is every couple of months as stated by most I followed the soi post office (pattaya) agent route total cost around 6.000 for me but when bank asked you want Internet banking you want this I'm yes yes and yes so perhaps could have been cheaper. 

I tried many banks by myself it's not good waiting in line for 20 minutes bank after bank to be told in 10 seconds no can do Mr.

So for me it was money well spent 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/29/2024 at 5:06 AM, DrJack54 said:

It's a waste of time in recent years things have changed.

Ignore the bring a Thai friend with account at that bank or a Thai government employee etc etc.

I am stating from my own experience. 

I have extensions from non O based on retirement and even big branches in Sukhumvit wanted a "certificate of residence " OR letter from embassy. 

UK,USA,AU do not provide that for address.

Also 800k in your pocket will not help.

Fortunately I had success with Kasikorn, however I had a non O (not a tourist visa) 

Also already had an account with another bank.

An agent can open an account with BBL.

Cost approx 4500b 

What this thread highlights and have mentioned it a few times this century is that if you do already have a Thai account dont let it lapse through lack of use or low balance because its not easy to open a new one without agent input and costs

• Agree 2

19 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

Two things. First why are you saying 1 million baht? No one cares and it doesnt make you look good. Secondly if you take that amount they will want to know where you got it so I assume you have an answer to that question and if that exceeds what you are legally eligible to bring into the country you better have a real good verifiable answer. If not they are more likely to report you to the police.

Yep agreed

Here in the UK "walking around money" is literally only at £1000 limit before Police or Border agency can "ask questions" as to origin (I assure you it is and all forms part of 2002 proceeds of crime act)

It would be sensible to assume Thailand has laws about walking around with £22,000 in your sky rocket likewise lol

(Edited...probably not lol)

Edited by Chivas
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/29/2024 at 11:18 AM, FARANG KIWI said:

I found it was just a case of going Bank to Bank to Bank untill one of them said Yes!

As you mentioned I also took my Wife along and 1 Mill in cash!!  Sure both of those helped my chances....

That is exactly what I did on Thonlor, 4 said no, the fifth one said yes.

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

What is your visa status 

That was around 9 years ago on a TV.

Funny that in the banks where I was refused ,they spoke English. 

Spoke/ had to speak Thai in the one where I got my debit card. 

On 3/29/2024 at 5:03 AM, Chivas said:

Jesus wept goddam coffee has just gone spraying all over the  laptop lol

He's not wrong.  When I opened my Kasikorn account the bank clerk asked me if I was married - I wasn't.  He next sentence was "I am 30 and have no boyfriend".  I knew right then I was in the right country.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, thecyclist said:

That was around 9 years ago on a TV.

Funny that in the banks where I was refused ,they spoke English. 

Spoke/ had to speak Thai in the one where I got my debit card. 

9 years ago things were a whole lot different. We all have anecdotes like this to share, but they are of little help for foreign tourists who want to open a bank account in Thailand NOW.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I await another report to confirm this.

All the recent threads regards opening a bank account in Pattaya and surrounding areas required a certificate of residence or letter from embassy.

So basically you are saying ...walk into bank you mention show pp with tourist visa stamp along with rental agreement (how long) and walk out with a Thai bank book. 

I went into the branch the day before, to make sure.

I took a photo of the conditions, and confirmed verbally with a staff member.

As you walk in, the first table in front of you has the conditions printed in English, under a glass worktop - I may have the photo on my laptop. I'll have a look.

Passport / visa.

He was maybe 9 Months into a 1 Year rental agreement.

Numerous forms signed.

All very straightforward - nice service.

Notably long queue waiting times.

On 3/30/2024 at 1:26 PM, Chivas said:

Yep agreed

Here in the UK "walking around money" is literally only at £1000 limit before Police or Border agency can "ask questions" as to origin (I assure you it is and all forms part of 2002 proceeds of crime act)

It would be sensible to assume Thailand has laws about walking around with £22,000 in your sky rocket likewise lol

(Edited...probably not lol)

Fully agree with you

last year I had a THE WISDOM card from kasikorn

and wanted me to be a 'reliable/respectable sponsor' for my mom to open an account

on a tourist visa to apply for a conversion to a retirement visa...

cold NO .... 10 mil in the bank and 15 year client with them was not reference enough for them

moved all the money out, not that they cared...

• Haha 1

On 3/30/2024 at 12:05 PM, daveAustin said:

A local Krung Thai was fairly keen to open me an account quite recently without visa etc. They showed me the drill down list for what conditions management have deemed necessary to be met.

Where is this "local Krung Thai" and what are the requirements?

On 3/29/2024 at 3:14 PM, FARANG KIWI said:

I was in the same situation 15 years ago.

You do not say where you are but if in Bangkok try Bangkok Bank on Sukumvitt Road ( near Soi 8 )

They were Tourist friendly to me in opening!

Correct...  just go upstairs, there are a couple of girls working there that are most helpful.  Remember to dress correctly for the occasion.

• Confused 1

On 3/29/2024 at 11:10 AM, Hellfire said:

I am on a tourist visa. I also have a Thai bank account which I was lucky to open 12 years ago. Now I need to open one more account at another bank. And I know that this is not that easy as before. What if I bring 1 mln baht in cash and promise to deposit it into my newly opened account? What are the chances that this will work? Or is it just a waste of time?

I tried a similar gambit. Said I wanna buy a condo for 2 million baht. But they still wanted a long-term visa.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, bangkok19 said:

Correct...  just go upstairs, there are a couple of girls working there that are most helpful.  Remember to dress correctly for the occasion.

Please post fact.

First hand experience of going upstairs well dressed to open a bank account account with a tourist visa and nothing else. 

Within last year. 

So, today I opened a new account through agency. It cost me 3200 thb. But it was done together with retirement visa application which cost me additional 25500 thb. 

On 3/29/2024 at 8:52 PM, DrJack54 said:

That is correct .

Siam legal have stopped assisting with opening bank account.

Believe Maneerat Pattaya still possible.

Not sure about thaivisacenter in bangkok

For thaivisacenter, it's an extra on the visa package, I think it was around 5k more if you don't have a bank account already. Not sure if they offer the service without the visa.

1 hour ago, Hellfire said:

So, today I opened a new account through agency. It cost me 3200 thb. But it was done together with retirement visa application which cost me additional 25500 thb. 

To be clear. 

You had agent obtain a bank account along with a non O retirement and 12 month extension