The chances this may work? (Opening a thai bank account as a tourist)

On 3/29/2024 at 1:39 AM, lom said:

What could make a difference is telling them that you need the account in order to apply for a non-O visa.

Your faith that Thai bank officials would act logically is quaint but unlikely.

On 3/29/2024 at 5:10 AM, Hellfire said:

What if I bring 1 mln baht in cash and promise to deposit it into my newly opened account?

Let's assume that you mean one million Baht, not one minute (one sixtieth of an hour) Baht.

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Please post fact.

First hand experience of going upstairs well dressed to open a bank account account with a tourist visa and nothing else. 

Within last year. 

Fact!

I went upstairs and replaced my worn ATM BKK Bank Debit card, at that time (August last year) I was in town for just a few weeks (didn't even HAVE a visa).  Lots of signatures required and plenty of general chit chat. I was asked by the lovely lady in conversation (not in an official capacity) where I'm living etc and after replying she just gave a big smile and gave me my new card and said "happy holiday".

Re your request...  Yes, I opened accounts on 3 occasions over the years with just a Tourist Visa in that very same spot. First time was in the 80's when there was actually a small Post Office up there within the bank.

I've also had accounts with the TFB and later Kasikorn Bank. All opened with just a Tourist Visa!

The one thing they did stipulate was to "keep the account active" which I do.

You, Dr Jack are the typical keyboard warrior that spends your whole day on this site trying to disprove other contributors' personal experiences.....

"please post fact"...  Really????

32 minutes ago, bangkok19 said:

Fact!

I went upstairs and replaced my worn ATM BKK Bank Debit card, at that time (August last year) I was in town for just a few weeks (didn't even HAVE a visa).  Lots of signatures required and plenty of general chit chat. I was asked by the lovely lady in conversation (not in an official capacity) where I'm living etc and after replying she just gave a big smile and gave me my new card and said "happy holiday".

Getting a replacement card is hardly "opening a new account".

33 minutes ago, bangkok19 said:

Yes, I opened accounts on 3 occasions over the years with just a Tourist Visa in that very same spot. First time was in the 80's when there was actually a small Post Office up there within the bank.

I've also had accounts with the TFB and later Kasikorn Bank. All opened with just a Tourist Visa!

Which of them did you open in the last year since the regulations were changed in March 2023 ?

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Which of them did you open in the last year since the regulations were changed in March 2023 ?

Thanks for asking same questions I would have.

These threads asking for advice on opening bank account on visa exempt or tourist visa is about the NOW not what occurred years back. 

Also places such as Siam Legal are now longer offering this service. Previously they did.

Also anyone in Bangkok the bank will require a certificate of residence and CW will only issue a COR if you have made a TM47. Something impossible on a tourist visa.  

2 hours ago, bangkok19 said:

Fact!

I went upstairs and replaced my worn ATM BKK Bank Debit card, at that time (August last year) I was in town for just a few weeks (didn't even HAVE a visa

So you did not open a bank account on a tourist visa as per the thread topic

3 hours ago, bangkok19 said:

Fact!

Re your request...  Yes, I opened accounts on 3 occasions over the years with just a Tourist Visa in that very same spot. First time was in the 80's when there was actually a small Post Office up there within the bank.

You, Dr Jack are the typical keyboard warrior that spends your whole day on this site trying to disprove other contributors' personal experiences.....

"please post fact"...  Really????

Nobody has claimed that you cannot keep an existing bank account alive and do things like getting debit cards replaced while being in Thailand as a tourist.

Your report provides no evidence that you would have been able to open a new account at that branch on that day as a tourist, however, which is what this thread is about.