Nostalgia not what it was?

Gandtee

14 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Back in 1945 ish in London. Nearing the end of the war. We used to have a few crates of beer and singalongs in our front room. I remember my cousin's friend, Alice, singing this song and I fell in love with her. 

She was in her twenties and I was twelve. At ninety it still pulls my heartstrings.. 

Painful song

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Kids these days wouldn't even no what that machine is! 

Nah, the kids have been conned into buying it all over again.

what a laugh. :stoner:

Edited by quake
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Always look on the bright side of life.

I have a  story about that movie that was told to me by a Welsh local, apparently that crucifixion scene was in Wales and they employed many extras, while they were on the crosses one of them started singing

"there'll be a welcome in the hillside"   :cheesy:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Like you though I am a mere 79. I prefer older music such as the big bands of the 30's, 40's and 50's.

Some of the 50's, 60's and 70's music when singers could still read and write their own songs.

Can you imagine saying to your children how you loved punk, grunge and garage music?

Well, I still like some punk and of course rock. I haven't a clue about most of the singers since the late 80s. The females now, thinking that all tit's and nakedness maked good music. But does anyone sing nowadays? My grandson gives me some rap just to wind me up. Bloody kids.😉 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Fortunately my son in the UK is 46 now, He is there and I am here.

My Thai son is 19 and at uni in Chiang Rai, so I am spared that. My wife doesn't seem to play any music, so I am free to indulge in the music I like.

I also like traditional jazz but not modern jazz.

Edited by billd766
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Fortunately my son in the UK is 46 now, He is there and I am here.

My Thai son is 19 and at uni in Chiang Rai, so I am spared that. My wife doesn't seem to play any music, so I am free to indulge in the music I like.

I also like traditional jazz but not modern jazz.

I watch regularly Brendan Kavanagh the Dr of Boogie on Youtube. He plays a piano on London Railway stations. If he doesn't get your feet tapping, nothing will. https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Froutenote.com%2Fblog%2Fbrendan-kavanagh-dr-k-teaching-boogie-woogie-piano-at-london-train-stations-

Edited by Gandtee
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Only a kid at 62, but MY kids love punk, grunge, ska, reggae, progressive rock, new wave and garage as much as I do ❤️

But I am glad to say, that is not the sort of music I like.

I didn't like it when it first cam out and I still don't.

However each to their own.

• Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, mikebike said:

And how easy to spin this silly comment around. Do you wanna compare Mama Kass and Taylor Swift?

Sorry Mike but that was a different era and a different audience.

No it wasn't a silly comment. It was and still is my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, mikebike said:

Only a kid at 62, but MY kids love punk, grunge, ska, reggae, progressive rock, new wave and garage as much as I do ❤️

Im 62 this year and yes it was my type of music too although Im not 100 sure what garage music is/was. 

Got right into the punk/ska scene years back.  Good times I think! 

• Agree 1

On 3/30/2024 at 9:59 PM, Gandtee said:

Back in 1945 ish in London. Nearing the end of the war. We used to have a few crates of beer and singalongs in our front room. I remember my cousin's friend, Alice, singing this song and I fell in love with her. 

She was in her twenties and I was twelve. At ninety it still pulls my heartstrings.. 

Thank you. Much enjoyed.

On 3/31/2024 at 1:21 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

And to be fair, they don't need to know.

Kids also don't know how to operate a penny-farthing

Or a Press Button A, Press Button B public phone box.

Cannot reminisce on the good 'ole nursery rhymes either:

Mary had a little pig

She couldn't stop it gruntin

She took it down the garden path

And........

Jack and Jill went up the Hill

To have a bit of fun

But Jill forgot to take her pill

And.....

21 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Im 62 this year and yes it was my type of music too although Im not 100 sure what garage music is/was. 

Got right into the punk/ska scene years back.  Good times I think! 

Dunno about garage, but into the rest plus more at a similer age to you both...

On 3/31/2024 at 3:10 PM, Gandtee said:

Well, I still like some punk and of course rock. I haven't a clue about most of the singers since the late 80s. The females now, thinking that all tit's and nakedness maked good music. But does anyone sing nowadays? My grandson gives me some rap just to wind me up. Bloody kids.😉 

Music like Pop, Country, Jazz, Big Band etc. Whether you liked it or not, it was real music, played on real musical instruments by in most cases real musicians.

The rest Garage??, isn't that where you put your car? House?? Isn't that what you live in is called? Rap?? Isn't that just a name for the noise and garbage that comes out of a "performers" mouth?