Registering Thai Birth In Uk

The Dan Sai wife is pregnant and The Dan Sai Baby will be due in Ocotber. The Dan Sai Wife is a Thai citizen.

We live in the Uk, how would we go about registering the birth with Thai Embassy - can it be done in a consulate?

We live in the north of Scotland - could be register the birth anytime, or is there a specific timeframe? Do we really have to it in London?

What if we just didn't do it? Could we live without the 30 baht healthcare?

Thanks for any input!

The missus and I have been through this, and it's not all that bureaucratic, but it does involve a trip to the Thai embassy in London which from Liverpool was pain in the a*se, so you have my sympathies being compelled to travel from Scotland. If you phone them beforehand, you can make an appointment which is pretty much adhered to. Whilst you're there, you may wish to also apply for a Thai passport, too. However, you won't get the passport without a Thai birth certificate which, in this instance, can only be issued by the embassy in London.

Scouse.

...register the ...Do we really have to it in London?

You don’t have to do it in London. You can do it any time. When you travel with wife and child to Thailand, child enters Thailand with UK passport. Child gets listed on house registration book, for example the same book where wife is registered. Child applies for Thai passport in Thailand, ready within 3-4 days if application is made in Bangkok, longer if at another passport office in Thailand. Child leaves Thailand on UK passport (entry and exit stamps must be in same passport)

After that, child always leaves and enters UK on UK passport, an enters and leaves Thailand on Thai passport.

When child reaches a certain age (15 or 16?) child can apply in Thailand for Thai ID card. Doesn’t have to be exactly at that age if child is outside Thailand during that time; can be any time later.

--

Maestro

The way it was explained to my missus and I by both Samran and the Thai embassy in London is that a Thai passport won't be issued without a Thai birth certificate, and the latter can only be issued by the amphur within whose jurisdiction the child is born. Consequently, as the child will be born in the UK, no amphur within Thailand will issue a birth certificate, so the embassy in London acts, in such an instance, as the amphur and issues the certificate. Armed with the certificate, you may then apply for a Thai passport in Thailand, but having gone to the trouble of travelling to London for the birth cert, you may as well apply for a passport at the same time.

Scouse.

You don’t have to do it in London. You can do it any time. When you travel with wife and child to Thailand, child enters Thailand with UK passport. Child gets listed on house registration book, for example the same book where wife is registered. Child applies for Thai passport in Thailand, ready within 3-4 days if application is made in Bangkok, longer if at another passport office in Thailand. Child leaves Thailand on UK passport (entry and exit stamps must be in same passport)

After that, child always leaves and enters UK on UK passport, an enters and leaves Thailand on Thai passport.

When child reaches a certain age (15 or 16?) child can apply in Thailand for Thai ID card. Doesn’t have to be exactly at that age if child is outside Thailand during that time; can be any time later.

--

Maestro

Tried this ourselves at Laksi - they wouldn't accept a UK Birth Certificate, so we had to go get the Thai passport issued at the embassy in London. (along with the embassy issued Thai Birth Certificate).

I will admit - we didn't have our daughter on the house book at the time, but we needed the Thai birth certificate (issued by the embassy) to put her on the house book. (The child's ID number is on the Thai birth certificate).

--

Maestro

Hey Maestro.

Definetly need a Thai BC which for an overseas born Thai, means the one issuded by the emabssy. The only reason I know is that a few years when I moved back to Thailand permanently, I needed my Thai BC issued in Australia (where I was born) to get on the house registration. As you said, it can be done at any time. I got my Thai BC in my late teens in Australia in 1992 and my first Thai passport at that time (which I used whenever I travelled to Thailand). I got onto the house registration and my ID card when I was in my 30's, when I got a job back here.

Definetly need a Thai BC which for an overseas born Thai, means the one issuded by the embassy...

Yes, I forgot about the birth certificate, which is essential. Would be nice if it could be obtained by mail, but I guess that’s too much to hope for.

--

Maestro