Retirement visa VS tourist visa. Advantages?

Sorry I think I am missing the meaning of your question. The obvious answer for me is you can stay in Thailand longer then 60 days with a Non-Imm-O based on retirement. The single entry tourist visa only allows 60 days without going to immigration.

5 minutes ago, biervoormij said:

Sorry I think I am missing the meaning of your question. The obvious answer for me is you can stay in Thailand longer then 60 days with a Non-Imm-O based on retirement. The single entry tourist visa only allows 60 days without going to immigration.

Yes, that indeed is obvious. What about other, less obvious advantages? For example, the cost of the health related services?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Hellfire said:

Yes, that indeed is obvious. What about other, less obvious advantages? For example, the cost of the health related services?

Post deleted by user.

Edited by Raindancer

2 minutes ago, Hellfire said:

I don't think there are many other advantages other than the time of your stay.

You get no advantage in health services. Tourist and Retires pay the same rate in Thailand.

The one I can think of is you can not get a 5 year driving license on a tourist visa and recently read you can not buy a car when on a tourist visa but I don't know if that is true everywhere in Thailand.

• Agree 1

OP, your question is far to open.

It's all about how long  you wish to stay in Thailand and is it ongoing. 

For example many posts along the lines...

"I want to spend 6 months in Thailand each  year" 

You need to elaborate.  

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, your question is far to open.

It's all about how long  you wish to stay in Thailand and is it ongoing. 

For example many posts along the lines...

"I want to spend 6 months in Thailand each  year" 

You need to elaborate.  

I plan to live here permanently. I heard there are payment tiers in the Thai hospitals. The lowest and the most expensive tier is for those on a tourist visa. Did I get that right? 

• Confused 4

39 minutes ago, Hellfire said:

I plan to live here permanently. I heard there are payment tiers in the Thai hospitals. The lowest and the most expensive tier is for those on a tourist visa. Did I get that right? 

No it's not a "tier" system.

You can use public hospitals for fraction of price of private. 

As to your thread ....any form of tourist visas would not be good option for "I plan to live here permanently " 

You should obtain a non O based on retirement and subsequent 12 month extensions on going.

That has financial requirements. 

If that is not possible some folk use an agent. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, 1happykamper said:

In Monday you posted that you had paid about 22k on a retirement visa. 

You've been in Thai visa for over a year and been very active. 

Troll post? 

I don’t see any contradiction here. I was on a tourist visa for a long time. Now, I have applied for a retirement visa and want to know about the additional benefits I could get from this status change.

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

No it's not a "tier" system.

You can use public hospitals for fraction of price of private. 

As to your thread ....any form of tourist visas would not be good option for "I plan to live here permanently " 

You should obtain a non O based on retirement and subsequent 12 month extensions on going.

That has financial requirements. 

If that is not possible some folk use an agent. 

Once I tried a public hospital (Banglamung Pattaya). That was an awful experience. Waiting queues (for hours), the lack of the necessary basic equipment and the doctor who did not speak English and looked like she is still in the process of getting her education (young and unexperienced). No more public hospitals for me.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Hellfire said:

Now, I have applied for a retirement visa and want to know about the additional benefits I could get from this status change.

The benefit is with a reentry permit you can exit and reenter Thailand as often as you like.

Be aware that an extension from non O provides a temporary permission of stay.

Exactly the same as stamp from tourist visa.

Living in Thailand ongoing on tourist visas is not an option

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Be aware that an extension from non O provides a temporary permission of stay.

Exactly the same as stamp from tourist visa.

What does that mean, exactly? Could you, please, elaborate?

1 minute ago, Hellfire said:

No more public hospitals for me.

Understand. I have been very lucky and had never needed a stay in a hospital in Thailand or AU. 

Not so long ago I had a hip replacement at private hospital in Bangkok. 

Was like a 5 star hotel. 

Hip replacement + all the add ons came to 20k aud.

Currently in Oz. 

Have had all bloods etc ultra sound x rays you name it.

Cost Zero

1 minute ago, Hellfire said:

It means you don't get any discount etc for medical or other.

You are granted temporary permission of stay and will pay same as someone on visa exempt entry 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It means you don't get any discount etc for medical or other.

You are granted temporary permission of stay and will pay same as someone on visa exempt entry 

Bank loans? 

23 minutes ago, Hellfire said:

No more public hospitals for me.

If you do settle into Thailand, I'd suggest checking out multiple hospitals in your area.  Some are better than others, and that's good info to have before you find yourself in need.  Also, check out different doctors (who may take shifts in several hospitals) to find one you like that speaks English.  And get a business card...  A good place to start is the local expat breakfast hangout.  Find out where they go.  Then burn some shoe leather.

54 minutes ago, Hellfire said:

There is no 'retirement visa', you obtain a Non Imm O visa for the purpose of retirement.
That permits a stay of 90 days, but you can apply to extend your stay for a further 365 days (commonly known as an extension of stay) subject to meeting the financial requirements.

You must have Non Immigrant status to apply for 1 year extensions of stay.
You cannot apply for a 1-year extension if you entered on a Tourist visa because your Immigration status is 'tourist' and not 'Non Immigrant'.

Re medical concerns, there are Government hospitals, private hospitals and private clinics.
You can either take out a Health Insurance policy or prefer to self insure.
Private hospitals can be very expensive, up to 5 x the cost of government hospitals.
Your experience suggests you went to a local district government hospital.
Find out where the Provincial government hospital is, practically all the doctors speak English there.

Doctors are invariably contracted to work xx hours in a private hospital, and xx hours in a government hospital.
Many also run their own private clinics.

Edited by Liquorice
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Hellfire said:

Public hospitals charge mainly the same for everyone although, as you have found, waiting times can be considerably onerous.

Private hospitals certainly have a tiered pricing system, Thai or non-Thai.

And you will be seen quickly.

Whether you are on a 30-day exemption or a 1 year retirement extension it makes no difference, you will be charged the (much) higher rate.

• Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, Hellfire said:

Bank loans? 

Nay my brother.  The village loan shark might deal with you but you mightn't like the repayment terms. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Hellfire said:

Not in govt hospitals but Yes at some there can be some with a "tier" system in Private Hospitals where foreigners pay a higher fee for the same services that a Thai would. There was a court case a couple years back where a European foreigner took a Private Hospital to court for charging a "tiered" system for services. He lost the case and the court went as far as stating that it was an acceptable practice as foreigners have a higher disposable income. Being on tourist visa vs a Non Imm O retirement is the same. Main advantage is easily opening a bank account if you arrive on the Non Imm visa versus converting here from a exempt or tourist entry. Getting Certificate of Residency, Drivers License, longer permission of stay being 90 days initially if you arrive on Non Imm with extension of 12 months if you meet the requirement vs 60 days on TR with one 30 day extension,  but that's about it. not much else so it really depends on your longer term plan.  

Edited by Dan O

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Bobthegimp said:

Nay my brother.  The village loan shark might deal with you but you mightn't like the repayment terms. 

Don’t think that even the loan sharks will want to deal with a foreigner. We are only good for spreading Covid here )

Edited by Hellfire
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Dan O said:

Not in all hospitals but Yes there is can be some a "tier" system in Private Hospitals where foreigners pay a higher fee for the same services that a Thai would. There was a court case a couple years back where a European foreigner took a hospital to court for charging a "tiered" system for services. He lost the case and the court went as far as stating that it was an acceptable practice as foreigners have a higher disposable income. 

Just an advice. Never buy a medicine in the private hospitals if one can be bought outside their premises. Two-three times price difference is guaranteed. 

Edited by Hellfire
  • Like 1

Just now, Hellfire said:

Just an advice. Never buy the medicine in the private hospitals if one can be bought outside their premises. Two-three times price difference is guaranteed. 

Thats correct except some specific medicine can not be purchased at street Pharmacies.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Note: this thread is not about farang medical costs v medical costs for Thai.

The OP was asking about any advantages for non O extensions VS tourist visas.

Answer: No there is not. 

But I think you ignore some advantages that do exist. Like, for example, the possibility of getting a Certificate Of residence, which is necessary for some procedures (getting a driver license, for example). There should be some other, similar advantages.

Edited by Hellfire
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Dan O said:

Thats correct except some specific medicine can not be purchased at street Pharmacies.

Last time at Bangkok Pattaya hospital the woman at the cashier was visibly unhappy after me asking her to just give me the names of the medicines so I can buy them outside. I think she wanted me to feel myself as a kind of Cheap Charlie. Anyway, I prefer to be Cheap Charlie to being Idiotic Charlie who pays 1500 thb for 500 thb pack of antibiotics (true case).

Edited by Hellfire
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Note: this thread is not about farang medical costs v medical costs for Thai.

The OP was asking about any advantages for non O extensions VS tourist visas.

Answer: No there is not. 

One advantage presented itself to me yesterday. I rented a room near Jomtien Beach for this month.  A lady from the desk who spoke little English had taken a picture of my passport and extension stamp when I checked in. 

Yesterday, a lady who spoke English knocked on my door and asked to see my stamp. I showed her my passport and was offered a deep discount if I agreed to stay for 3 or more months.  She said that they mostly get tourists here and would like to have longer stay guests during the low season, which makes perfect sense. 

Another advantage is being able to make arrangements with waitresses and other Thai women who have seasonal boyfriends who visit only for brief vacations.  The boyfriends usually send money or take them on lavish vacations when in town, but women get lonely and don't do well alone.  I've been approached by 3 such ladies after knowing them for a while.  This only works if you're discrete and aren't jealous about slipping out of her life when the bf is in town. 

• Sad 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Bobthegimp said:

One advantage presented itself to me yesterday. I rented a room near Jomtien Beach for this month.  A lady from the desk who spoke little English had taken a picture of my passport and extension stamp when I checked in. 

Yesterday, a lady who spoke English knocked on my door and asked to see my stamp. I showed her my passport and was offered a deep discount if I agreed to stay for 3 or more months.  She said that they mostly get tourists here and would like to have longer stay guests during the low season, which makes perfect sense. 

Another advantage is being able to make arrangements with waitresses and other Thai women who have seasonal boyfriends who visit only for brief vacations.  The boyfriends usually send money or take them on lavish vacations when in town, but women get lonely and don't do well alone.  I've been approached by 3 such ladies after knowing them for a while.  This only works if you're discrete and aren't jealous about slipping out of her life when the bf is in town. 

But don’t forget about one huge disadvantage. One should be quite old to get that retirement visa.

And, regarding your positive examples… Well , I know several people who stayed in Thailand for many many years on a tourist visa (one of them I know better than anybody else in the Universe). 

Edited by Hellfire
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Hellfire said:

I don’t see any contradiction here. I was on a tourist visa for a long time. Now, I have applied for a retirement visa and want to know about the additional benefits I could get from this status change.

NONE, 'cept you can stay I year, then get another years extension.

Health care costs us all the same even on a marriage extension. 

You can chose very expensive private hospitals/insurance rip off places.

Or use a government hospital, and pay them a fraction of the price, there are some very good government hospitals.