Police Scotland almost 4,000 complaints in first 48 hours of Humza Yousaf's hate crime law

Social Media

image.png

The implementation of the Hate Crime and Public Order (Scotland) Act 2021 has led to a surge in complaints received by Police Scotland, with nearly 4,000 complaints reported in the first 48 hours of the law coming into effect. It is reported that a complaint against the Act was received approximately every two minutes during this period.

Calum Steele, the former general secretary of the Scottish Police Federation, indicated that the number of complaints could have reached as high as 3,800. He noted that "more than half" of these complaints have not yet been processed.

The Hate Crime and Public Order Act 2021 criminalizes derogatory comments based on disability, religion, sexual orientation, transgender identity, intersex status, race, color, nationality, or ethnicity. This law extends existing legislation and has been met with both support and opposition.

Approximately 300 protesters gathered outside the Scottish Parliament to demonstrate against the legislation, expressing concerns about freedom of speech and indicating they were "prepared to be jailed." Some critics, including high-profile figures like Prime Minister Rishi Sunak, Elon Musk, and Joe Rogan, have objected to the legislation, arguing that it is unclear and unnecessary.

Humza Yousaf, the Scottish Government minister responsible for the legislation, defended the law, stating that it provides robust protection against the rising tide of hatred. However, he faced criticism from certain quarters, including author JK Rowling, who expressed concerns about the impact of the legislation on freedom of expression.

JK Rowling's comments on social media were reviewed by police, but they were determined not to be criminal, and no further action was taken against her. However, it remains unclear whether her comments could have been recorded by police as non-crime hate incidents, as this is considered an operational matter for Police Scotland.

Source

image.png

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Denim said:

So if I go to Scotland anyone can still call me a bald barsteward and get away with it Scott free ?

So unfair. I am truly miffed as I know other slap heads will be.

If you are a white slap head, either implied or spoken yes!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

It's scotlands version of sharia law brought to you by scotland's own muslim minister... go figure.

That’s an odd string of things to stitch into a post.

I wonder what brought it on?!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

How the SNP got such horrible legislation over the line is irrelevant. We all know what type of deals can be done, Sturgeon showed us that. 

It's called politics, but fortunately it's nothing like as bad as the cronyism and corruption that saturates English politics and, subsequently, pollutes the rest of the UK.

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Whataboutism. This is about Yousaf's hate bill.

I just logged an incident on their website about Yousaf's racist speech. I hope they get back to me swiftly. 

Why would you do that? I presume that you know that the law is not retroactive so you know that your complaint is going to waste limited police resources? Why waste police time then boast about it?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Why does Humza Yousef have such anger against white people? This minister so clearly expressing racist tendancies. 

Why do you think the legislation is solely focussed on "white people"? 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, RuamRudy said:

And yet not a single charge resulting from it. Could it be that it's possible for all laws to be abused thus?

Yet, and very strange she is hiding out of the way, eh......🤭

Now you have a leader that has a problem with "white" people, how embarrassing for you Scots...........😂

And the bloke is trying to break up the UK, whodaguessed...............🤣

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Why do you think the legislation is solely focussed on "white people"? 

Perhaps because the leader, ain't.................😂

• Confused 1

Just now, JonnyF said:

I am not wasting police time. I found his speech extremely offensive and I would like action taken against him. If they cannot take legal action because the crime took place before the law, perhaps they will put a non crime hate incident on his record instead. Either way, I am entitled to report it. 

He is not exempt from the consequences of his hateful, racist speech. 

I have absolutely no doubt you haven’t wasted any police time.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

Yes I very much doubt they are going to investigate reports against a Muslim, son of Pakistani immigrants who happens to be the first minister making a racist speech against white people. This law clearly isn't designed for that type of racism.

However, the vague nature and selective enforcement of this law is no reason for me not to report racism when I see or hear it. 

They are encouraging people to report hate speech. I obliged. The hate monster appears to have attacked Yousaf as I included in my report. 

You auto-stroking your self nurtured conspiracy grievances wasn’t what I had in mind.

But thanks for the insights.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

It seems like a lot of people perceive this as a law that makes it a crime to say something they don't like about a group that they support. 

It's kind of inevitable that the police are going to be flooded with complaints.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

It's not a conspiracy. The speech is on YouTube. I already posted it here.

The guidelines for what constitues hate speech are on the police website. The speech falls within that. They want people to report it, so I did.

Where is the conspiracy?

Conspiracy!

15 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Yes I very much doubt they are going to investigate reports against a Muslim, son of Pakistani immigrants who happens to be the first minister making a racist speech against white people. This law clearly isn't designed for that type of racism.

• Thanks 1