Police Scotland almost 4,000 complaints in first 48 hours of Humza Yousaf's hate crime law

Social Media

9 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You’ll find the topic of discussion at the top of the thread, it’s not me.

You’ll also find a link to private messaging at the top of the page, you may use that to send messages to individual members and thereby avoid cluttering the thread with your ‘bro chats’.

I jus knew that you would have a solution to share with us... go figure.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

the point Humza Yousef was making is that there are very few people of black or Asian heritage in the Scottish parliament despite Scots of ethnic heritage making up a sizeable number of our countrymen.

And if he'd said it like that it would be a bit more palatable. Instead he chose ranting and repeating the word 'WHITE' about 9 times. 

That's incitement, plain and simple. 

Btw, there's only about 5% ethnic minorities in Scotland. Scotland has had nowhere near the amount of immigration as England, so why would he (you) expect ethnic minorities to hold the top positions? Does he (do you) want quotas? 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, RuamRudy said:

As I have been at pains to point out, the 1 minute and 5 seconds of his speech is but an excerpt of it. The full speech has nuance and context but that has been ignored by those who want to validate their innate prejudices.

Of course not - but all things being equal, there should naturally be a representative number of people from ethnic backgrounds across all areas of Scottish politics.

So you are making excuses for the SNP leader's racist rant, plus I would have thought that what was between an MP's ears was important, not their colour..

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, transam said:

So you are making excuses for the SNP leader's racist rant,

To be honest, if you still don't get it, I guess either you don't want to or you can't quite grasp it. Either way, no skin off my nose.

8 minutes ago, transam said:

plus I would have thought that what was between an MP's ears was important, not their colour..

Indeed, that would be a nice change, and as I said, all things being equal...

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Of course not - but all things being equal, there should naturally be a representative number of people from ethnic backgrounds across all areas of Scottish politics.

Why naturally? What if among that 5% of ethnic minorities very few have the desire, talent or ambition to reach top positions in politics?

You (and Yousef) seem to be suggesting Scotland is institutionally racist. I don't think Scotland is institutionally racist. 

The only way to guarantee proportional representation for minorities is to have quotas. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Why naturally? What if among that 5% of ethnic minorities very few have the desire, talent or ambition to reach top positions in politics?

You (and Yousef) seem to be suggesting Scotland is institutionally racist. I don't think Scotland is institutionally racist. 

The only way to guarantee proportional representation for minorities is to have quotas. 

I disagree. The way to guarantee equal representation is to ensure equal opportunities for all, regardless of race, religion, gender or sexuality. We have some way to go on that one, but maybe this new bill will help improve things.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

I disagree. The way to guarantee equal representation is to ensure equal opportunities for all, regardless of race, religion, gender or sexuality. We have some way to go on that one, but maybe this new bill will help improve things.

If they did a survey and realised that there were disproportionate amount of White Scottish men living in Thailand and not enough ethnic minority Scottish people living in Thailand . Would you be willing to move back to live live in Scotland and swap with an ethnic minority Scot ?

Like, you go back to live in Scotland and a Brown Scottish guys moves out to Thailand ?

Just to even the numbers up 

On 4/4/2024 at 6:17 PM, n00dle said:

The whole white diatribe is idiotic. According to Audit Scotalnd :

According to population data, 95.4 per cent of the Scottish population report their ethnicity as 'White'. Approximately 4.5 percent of the population are from ethnic minorities, with the Asian population being the largest minority ethnic group (2.8 per cent). 

So what kind of representation does he expect? Apparently not proportional.

White is not an ethnicity. It is a lack of skin pigment that provides privilege. 

Murdo Fraser has asked Scottish Police why they recorded a hate crime against him and not Humza Yousaf they declared "we have nothing to add" 

Get the popcorn chaps this is going to get very interesting. 🍿

• Like 1