How can I find Chinese real estate agents to sell my house in Chiang Mai?

18 hours ago, Guderian said:

I'd suggest you and/or your wife visit with some of the friendlier Chinese neighbours, take them some moon cakes or whatever, and ask their advice on how best to market the house in China or to Chinese people already in Thailand.

We've already done that. And we have made a couple contacts with individuals who maybe may know somebody.... but we can't count on anything. We'd prefer to find a dedicated agent.

10 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

I have actually seen a little Chinese (Hong Kong) colony forming in Mae Jo. They really let you know exactly they're outsiders and put up flags and Chinese decorations. The authorities are obviously aware so they must have the corruption game down better than whitey.

I can't believe I forgot this. Just this week a Chinese owned housing project got busted in Hang Dong for using fraudulant nominees. Authorities are apparently on top of the Chinese taking over the housing market but I'm sure many people will slip through the cracks.

11 minutes ago, clokwise said:

This isn't a normal house.

The other week at the land office I saw the sale of a house which was listed at 7 mil and reduced to 6 after one year but I don't know how much they actually paid. It had 3 rai of land (Samoeng, land is like 1 mil per rai) but the house and landscaping was low quality if you ask me.  I think the poor guy got ripped off but there are people willing to put down big money, just not many of them.

I'd be curious how many people in Thailand even have 22 mil or access to that much credit. This is the top 1% of the country probably so there's not going to be many to go around and there's lots of luxury projects in the country. 

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

22 million baht for a house in Chiang Mai?  Koh Samui, maybe.

I have a friend in CM who could not sell his house for 5 million baht, and said house was built to his exacting standards. On the market for 3 years..

I know of two 25 mil housing projects in CM in my area. I think these are speculative investments or money laundering schemes. One project finally sold (or they took the sign down at least) after 8 years or so (drop the price twice from 25 to 23. I never see the lights on ever, always empty. Could be a Chinese property scam for all I know.

11 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

I have actually seen a little Chinese (Hong Kong) colony forming in Mae Jo. They really let you know exactly they're outsiders and put up flags and Chinese decorations. The authorities are obviously aware so they must have the corruption game down better than whitey.

Chiang Mai has been targeted by the Chinese it seems. More reasons to GTFO.

image.thumb.png.789e268b435d872210c19c10d242b8ab.png

Do they deliver?🍜

14 hours ago, still kicking said:

tenor (1).gif

Nothing to do with grammar policing, at all, just sarcastically humourously pointing out a completely unintelligible comment...

"maybe you’ll get lucky and find the Chinese food <deleted> is going to school and change my and wants to invest in the house seems like the reason why did to me TT"....

...if you can make sense of that, you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din! 

Lacessit hit the nail on the head. As I've said before, after I got throat cancer we left Chiang Mai (and LOS) for good in 2013. We built our house from scratch in Saraphi in 2008 & it had all the 'bells & whistles' and then some - multiple aircons, two fully-equipped kitchens (both Thai & farang), 3M satellite dish with umpteen channels etc but no pool, as I didn't want to be a slave to one (they need contact maintenance). Big 2 rai block with huge attached lumyai (longan) orchard bringing in good $ each year too. Far and away the flashest house I'm ever likely to own. We started asking for 4 mill (yes, it was not a giant kings' palace like the poster has here) but eventually settled for less than half that amount, in order to GTFO. People who are prepared to spend 22 million baht want a new house of their own design. Mine was like new, but it literally took over a year to even get a serious bite and, they beat us down. Sort of "as soon as they know a farang is selling, they sense a 'fire sale' - but good luck anyway - the Chinese are so cashed up, they have bought 2/3 of Australia by now ....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/6/2024 at 8:25 AM, clokwise said:

We originally paid 15 million, and we have since expanded the size of the house, kitchen remodeling, extensive landscaping, and we've just completed refurbishing all the teakwood inside and outside the house. All these additions cost another 3~4 million. While there may be some home depreciation to take into account, the land value itself has skyrocketed because it is in the actual city, not the suburbs. The neighboring moobaan, built at the same time as our home, but with smaller identical looking houses, has even higher asking prices (per sqm), and is full of Chinese families.

i waited a few minutes.... to get over my initial response :   "Supply and Demand "  .   That is ALWAYS the case ... but the seller only has to find ONE  buyer .    From my experience local real estate agencies offer very little ( and can be a pain in the butt) .    Also you will save a huge commision by finding a buyer yourself ( or offering less than the companies usual 3 % ) .    Get everything in writing ! 

So.... i would get a for sale sign made in English ... and CHINESE .  Use red color  55    Hang it on your gate if allowed.

And why not hand some fliers to the Chinese you have noticed in your and other close by moobahns ??  

I was never shy about telling people ..... and sold one property to a friend of a tenant i had .   Also another where my neighbor knew someone ( and wanted, and got,  a commission) .    

• Thanks 1