Dreamliner 787-8

Anybody used it yet? I booked a flight to Swampy next week and the plane will be 787-8. So, my question is has anybody used it yet, and what is it like? I will fly cattle class since I picked up a cheap flight.

1 minute ago, Ralf001 said:

in Cattle.... I would expect it to be just like any other airplane.

You have flown before ?

I fly to Thailand twice a year but never used Dreamliner. 

1 minute ago, AverageAussie said:

What airline will you be flying on?

That's what makes ALL the difference. Airlines select the configuration and Boeing just assemble to specifications. Well, at least that's what they claim to do. :ermm:

If you are on Cebu-Pacific, then I hope you are under 180cm tall. They have the world's tighest 787 cattle class with 436 seats. Totally different experience to say JAL with 144 economy + 42 business seats on their 787s.

I fly Thai airlines 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, still kicking said:

I fly Thai airlines 

If you have seat selection available, make sure you pick a good one. Always use SeatGuru.

I haven't flown on TG yet, so don't have first-hand experience. But some of the reviews I've read are mixed.

BTW - I've been on plenty of other airlines' 787s and it is a comfortable modern plane. My preference is for a window seat. They have large (long) windows that give you an excellent view and electronic dimming. You can also have a close look at the wings' flex on take-off & landing. It's not unusual for the composite material to bend a metre or more. Technically, I believe they could bend all the way around so that the tips touch each other - although this has never been proven in tests.

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Why call it Dreamliner it is just like another plane 

Marketing.

Their 747s also had a moniker: Jumbo Jet.

Not sure if Boeing ever gave one to their 737s or other lines.

2 minutes ago, still kicking said:

I agree with everything you say but I am slidly disabled, so I prefer an Ail seat 

Aisle seat do have the benefit of easy access, so enjoy your flight.

Still on seat selection, the most comfortable part of the plane is typically over the wing (central). The wing flex helps to minimise the effect of turbulence (if any) and you will get less bounce than you would at the far ends of a plane. If you're prone to airsickness this can make a difference.

• Like 1

Just now, still kicking said:

I agree with everything you say but I am slidly disabled, so I prefer an Ail seat 

9 minutes ago, AverageAussie said:

555 @Ralf001

Yes, comments at 2'30" are noted. 42C wouldn't be the best seat if you had a choice.

I am not alone I am with my wife 

1 minute ago, AverageAussie said:

Aisle seat do have the benefit of easy access, so enjoy your flight.

Still on seat selection, the most comfortable part of the plane is typically over the wing (central). The wing flex helps to minimise the effect of turbulence (if any) and you will get less bounce than you would at the far ends of a plane. If you're prone to airsickness this can make a difference.

Never been airsick 

3 minutes ago, still kicking said:

I am not alone I am with my wife 

If there's 2 of you flying then choose adjacent seats in the middle lane. With 3 across there's no need to get up mid-flight for the 3rd passenger.

• Agree 1

I have not flown with Thai Airways since they stopped direct flights to Perth I used different airlines but being slightly disabled I preferer nonstop flights and Thai is the only who does.

The most important thing to keep in mind when flying Boeing aircraft is that ALL of the aircraft from Boeing ALWAYS have a 7.

And so, they are lucky.

image.png.e68aeb1c216015a4ba1458a58b387cbd.png

With the Dreamliner, then you should enjoy a higher cabin pressure, of course.

image.png.28e57109766274be3cede4fdca837e2a.png

This should be the main advantage to choosing this aircraft for long-haul flights, since this can reduce fatigue, dehydration, etc.

I am ignorant about most things.

But, I am not ignorant of this important point.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

image.png.28e57109766274be3cede4fdca837e2a.png

The B787 was the FIRST commercial passenger plane to feature this higher cabin pressure. It is now joined by the A350 & A380 with similar specs.

Each of these planes has characteristics that give you a unique experience, but I wouldn't hesitate to book on any one of these. 

https://thepointsguy.com/news/the-healthiest-planes-in-the-air-today/

On 4/5/2024 at 6:19 AM, AverageAussie said:

The B787 was the FIRST commercial passenger plane to feature this higher cabin pressure. It is now joined by the A350 & A380 with similar specs.

Each of these planes has characteristics that give you a unique experience, but I wouldn't hesitate to book on any one of these. 

https://thepointsguy.com/news/the-healthiest-planes-in-the-air-today/

Yeah....

I know.

I used to subscribe to this rag, when the Dreamliner was but yet a dream.

And, it was discussed in this mag many years ago....

image.png.d8e87f0a1ec7c3839f291a0e2f8ddca8.png

================

There is a REASON why the Dreamliner can maintain a higher cabin pressure, without sacrificing longevity....

I guess you must know.....

Right?

==============

Anyway, this higher cabin pressure is a major advantage for long-haul flights.

Edited by stats
trolling and baiting comments removed

On 4/5/2024 at 4:06 AM, still kicking said:

I fly to Thailand twice a year but never used Dreamliner. 

In general its a quieter plane, less engine noise, larger windows and the cabin is pressurized to a lower altitude, 6000 ft, most aircraft especially older ones are pressurized to 8000ft, so it is more comfortable!

You got a ticket yet do you have seat selectionif so stop worrying and enjoy the flight. The dreamliner is suppose to be more comfortable than airplane built before it. The dreamliner has been in operation before covid.

I've flown on the Thai 787-8. It's 9 abreast like just about every other airline's 787 (except JAL's), meaning that seats are narrower than those on a 737 ... the legroom is OK, better than Jetstar's, let's say.  

The 787 is my least favorite widebody.  Sometime ago I flew a 787 to Tokyo from BKK and then a couple hours later got on a 777 to the US.  With back to back flights it was easy to see the difference in space between the two planes--I had so much more elbow room on the 777.   With that experience I would avoid it when I can unless it is Japan Airlines, which I think is one of the few airlines that doesn't cram an extra seat to each row in Economy with its 787s.

On 4/5/2024 at 6:32 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

Yeah....

I know.

I used to subscribe to this rag, when the Dreamliner was but yet a dream.

And, it was discussed in this mag many years ago....

image.png.d8e87f0a1ec7c3839f291a0e2f8ddca8.png

================

There is a REASON why the Dreamliner can maintain a higher cabin pressure, without sacrificing longevity....

I guess you must know.....

Right?

==============

Anyway, this higher cabin pressure is a major advantage for long-haul flights.

One major difference the 787 is that it is a nearly all electric powered airplane with no pneumatic systems and has limited Hydraulic systems that run at 5000 PSI not 3000-4000 like other Boeings

The air conditioning/pressurization units are basically huge electrically powered compressors. Not traditional packs that from engine bleed air. This saves fuel, thrust loss, and weight. The fuselage is mostly carbon fiber thus I'm guess ing the reason they can run higher cabin pressures. The structural limitation on cabin pressure is called "delta-P" I can't write the delta symbol here. Also the cabin humidity is kept higher. The air in Boeings traditional all metal aircraft is kept very low as it affects corrosion over the service life.

A little more humidity is more comfortable for crew and pax on long flights.

All planes are about the same as they take you from A to B through the air. Hpefully at least 55

The rest is preferences.

Reading through the posts here makes me think none of you have ever been in the Air Force or experienced a flight in outer space. Neither is comfortable but you can compensate with the right mindset. Thats what they teach you in The Force (not Star Wars).

• Confused 1

On 4/5/2024 at 2:38 AM, still kicking said:

Anybody used it yet? I booked a flight to Swampy next week and the plane will be 787-8. So, my question is has anybody used it yet, and what is it like? I will fly cattle class since I picked up a cheap flight.

i flew with the dreamliner several times and i hated it. Absolutly sj!tty chairs. 

On 4/5/2024 at 4:38 AM, still kicking said:

Cannot remember if I took the TG 787 but I did the A-380. Just a tiny seat on a big plane

Seat manufacturer types and arragements are customer options

Check the Seat Guru app.