When is the actual first day of street water throwing in Pattaya? (Bar streets)

JoseThailand

40 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

It's funny how they don't understand that a week-long water-throwing madness is actually bad for business.

When the customers are stood outside throwing water the bar is not selling beer and wracking up a huge water bill.

26 minutes ago, Ratel Snake said:

Songkran in Pattaya is April 18th and 19th.

Don't know why ?

Officially but water throwing will be going on prior to those dates whereas in most places it only lasts for 2/3 days.

4 hours ago, kaneko86 said:

While driving pass by Esan villages I saw the kids there were already playing Songkran yesterday the 7th!!!!

Kids were just playing water. They don't need Songkran for that

10 hours ago, Ratel Snake said:

Don't know why ?

A theory behind:

many of the staff going home to visit the family.

Come back and fully staffed party starts.

True or not?

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Ratel Snake said:

Don't know why ?

Actually Naklua's is on the 18th.

The gov't rotates the grand finale day around to different locations for different audiences. Or if you like one, you can also go to the other one. Many enjoy in both Bangkok AND Pattaya.

1 minute ago, JoseThailand said:

On my walk abouts on afternoon in the last few weeks down Soi 7 & 8 the bars are empty some closed, is this their way of trying attract customers  ?

On 4/7/2024 at 9:31 PM, JoseThailand said:

I'm not talking about official celebrations. In bar streets they start throwing water at passersby according to their own schedule and it lasts the whole week! It's always been like this, not just this year. I just don't know the actual date when they start this week-long madness.

Twenty odd years ago when I used to knock about Pattaya it always started on the afternoon of the 12th. However with the increase in foreigners it is almost certain there will be some starting on the 11th.

The activities in Pattaya pale into insignificance compared to the last day in Bang Saen. It is well worth a vist afterwards to see the sand sculptures on the beach.

During the Songkran festival every year, Chonburi Province will hold a Lai Bangsaen Day event, which every year falls on 16-17 April. It is a tradition that the people of Tambon San Suk have practiced since ancient times, formerly known as the Wan Lai merit-making ceremony, which means that villages have come to make merit together. On the occasion of Songkran Festival, or Thai New Year's Day, monks are invited from every temple in Saen Suk Subdistrict. People come to perform a ceremony, make merit, offer food to monks, and pour water. Then, there are activities to build sand pagodas, splash water, play games and local sports, and more activities.

https://www.thailand.go.th/issue-focus-detail/011_048

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

Twenty odd years ago when I used to knock about Pattaya it always started on the afternoon of the 12th.

But for more than a decade now it has started on the 11th. This year stayed true to tradition.

A couple of my favourite street food places have closed a couple days ago, probably gone home for Songkran, even they don't like it, massage shops getting less and less business.

I haven't seen anything on Buakhao yet but the atmosphere is building 

Surprisingly the mrs got the van from Bkk this morning took 3 hours, I refuse to go to there or anywhere during songkran. Went to the Bangsaeng event a few years ago, misery trying to get out of there in a songtaow, nobody else seemed to enjoy getting drenched either. She says not started yet.

22 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

A couple of my favourite street food places have closed a couple days ago, probably gone home for Songkran, even they don't like it, massage shops getting less and less business.

I haven't seen anything on Buakhao yet but the atmosphere is building 

People going home but also eating places and carts get no business for a week as customers don’t want to be drenched and the people with carts don’t want their food ruined with water.

10 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

People going home but also eating places and carts get no business for a week as customers don’t want to be drenched and the people with carts don’t want their food ruined with water.

I reckon they should all go home, best time, low income. Maybe thaifriendly will be busy

• Sad 1

On 4/9/2024 at 3:34 PM, Jumbo1968 said:

Thanks for the info, I will avoid Soi 7 then.

I believe Sharples Fish and Chips in Pattaya had to close yesterday because no water? Anyone confirm this?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Water throwing allowed only from Second Road Sois to Beach Road, keep Soi Bukhao water free then again who is going to Police it ?

Soi Buakhao is one of the water-throwing hotspots (wetspots?), with all the bar girls and ladyboys throwing water indiscriminately at passersby

Edited by JoseThailand