Lost Bike Keys, How can I get the bike started again?

10 hours ago, truthfix said:

How do I source a mobile locksmith? Other then walking to garages in the area and asking, which is very time consuming.

Understand. I can't speak Thai. A motor repair man at the rear of our house does everything for us. My Mrs asked him.

On 4/9/2024 at 4:46 PM, The Fugitive said:

Happened to us with a Honda Scoopy. Mrs called a guy who took an impression through the ignition keyhole and made a key on the spot for 600 baht.

thats pretty damn impressive  also          could lead to a life of crime

• Like 1

If you are lucky there may be a number on either the ignition lock or seat lock. If there is take the number to the dealer and they should be able to make a key. Had a Suzuki GS850 nicked in the UK, bought another one with the insurance and needed a spare key cut. Dealer cut a new one using the number on the key, never asked for proof that I owned the bike. Noticed that the same key number was on the fuel cap lock. Anyone who wanted to nick it just needed to take that number to the dealer and they would happily cut a key for them.

• Thanks 1

On 4/9/2024 at 3:52 PM, truthfix said:

Hi All,

As the title suggests, my girlfriend has misplaced, lost the last bike key, we did have 2 but after she lost the previous one and were down to just the one, a new one wasn't cut.

What are my options here, any advice is appreciated.

A new lock would do the trick🙏

On 4/9/2024 at 3:52 PM, truthfix said:

Hi All,

As the title suggests, my girlfriend has misplaced, lost the last bike key, we did have 2 but after she lost the previous one and were down to just the one, a new one wasn't cut.

If it's a bike, kick start it.

If no kick start, then it's a scooter. Take the registration to a dealer and order new keys

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/9/2024 at 4:39 PM, SAFETY FIRST said:

If you are close to the motorbike shop, get a motorbike taxi to push you and the bike to the shop. Taxi will push you and the bike, placing his foot on your engine, air box etc. 

I had an electrical fault, bike wouldn't start, had to get it to the Mityon for new wiring loom. 

Not if the steering lock is on.

28 minutes ago, Red Forever said:

Not if the steering lock is on.

Where did the OP say that the steering lock was on? 

You are right though, you'd probably struggle if the tyres were flat or the engine was seized up.

There are many issues that would stop you. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, truthfix said:

How do I source a mobile locksmith? Other then walking to garages in the area and asking, which is very time consuming.

Why spend time looking around? You could be doing that and missing one under your nose.

A good example of why asking ANY Thai person around where you live will know - Easy!

Edited by ChrisKC
typo
  • Thumbs Up 1

Where are you? In Phuket there us a locksmith will come to you. Honda Click 500 Baht key model, Honda keyless FOB model 1350 baht.

He does not need a key to copy.

• Thumbs Up 1

I Hired a bike and one day went into a shop unlocked the seat lifted it up and put my keys under the seat to take my helmet off. Seat dropped locking it. jumped a tuk tuk to the bar i hired the bike from and asked for the spare no spare. One of the girls made a phone call to a locksmith 20 mins later hey presto new key. cost me 600 bt but better then buying a new ignition barrel and a shop to replace the old 1.

On 4/9/2024 at 9:52 AM, truthfix said:

Hi All,

Get a new girlfreind it will save you a lot more problem,s in the comming year,s.🤣🤣🤣

2 hours ago, briofoz said:

Where are you? In Phuket there us a locksmith will come to you. Honda Click 500 Baht key model, Honda keyless FOB model 1350 baht.

He does not need a key to copy.

Bike is in Chalong

5 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

Why spend time looking around? You could be doing that and missing one under your nose.

A good example of why asking ANY Thai person around where you live will know - Easy!

I get a little bored of the saving face misleading information at times.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2024 at 9:21 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Ask at the nearest bike taxi stand...or any bike repair shop.

Get a local bike mechanic and fit a new lock, or if the seat lock used the same key, remove it and take it to a good locksmith. Other than that you could contact the dealers if you have all the paperwork they might supply you a new key. 

On 4/9/2024 at 9:21 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Ask at the nearest bike taxi stand...or any bike repair shop.

Get a local bike mechanic and fit a new lock, or if the seat lock used the same key, remove it and take it to a good locksmith. Other than that you could contact the dealers if you have all the paperwork they might supply you a new key. 

Other people have said enough times.

Go to a key cutters, (locksmith) he will go with you to the bike with a blank key and a file and make an impression then file it. They usually do it from the seat lock. You will have to pay him for his time closing his stall. Unless you get the bike to him.

Then get a copy made as well.

• Agree 1

On 4/9/2024 at 4:05 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Is it a keyless fob? if you have the code fob you can turn the ignition on using that, then get copies

My tgf lost her keyless fob for a Click. Yes you can get it started but it's a very complicated process entering lots of numbers in the precise order.

7 hours ago, Henryford said:

My tgf lost her keyless fob for a Click. Yes you can get it started but it's a very complicated process entering lots of numbers in the precise order.

Yep that's why i got a 2nd fob as backup, 550 baht

8 hours ago, samui99 said:

Other people have said enough times.

Go to a key cutters, (locksmith) he will go with you to the bike with a blank key and a file and make an impression then file it. They usually do it from the seat lock. You will have to pay him for his time closing his stall. Unless you get the bike to him.

Then get a copy made as well.

I am aware 'other people have said enough times'... so you didn't really need to comment further did you... but chose to anyway, and being of a more positive mindset I thank you for your time.

On 4/11/2024 at 9:28 AM, CFCol said:

If no kick start, then it's a scooter

That's the worst definition of a scooter I've seen. I guess my 260kg adventure bike is a scooter and the Click is not a scooter. Who knew 🙂

• Haha 1

Have a long talk with your girlfriend, explain to her that these things are costly and that the next time this happens it's coming out of her pocket. I guarantee you she'll never lose another key!