Lost Bike Keys, How can I get the bike started again?

On 4/10/2024 at 12:55 PM, The Fugitive said:

By one isolated thoughtless avoidable incident absolutely nothing. Combined with dropping her new iPhone down a grid, her laptop into a river and when we were in a decent restaurant sitting and eating comfortably howling out 'I've left my handbag in the clothes shop where I was trying on......' Not forgetting picking us up from the airport and telephoning to ask 'Where are you? I've been here 20 minutes'. She was waiting in the departure zone instead of arrivals! 

On 4/9/2024 at 4:38 PM, eisfeld said:

I suggest a good search at home. It's not like you can forget the key when somewhere else because you need it to drive the bike home. And if you still manage to forget it while out and about without the bike then why take the key? I've also attached some little accessory to my keys, makes them easier to spot and less likely to lose.

Yes.  Sound advice if lost at home.

So here's a true story. You don't need to read on! I lost the coded car key once whilst visiting my daughter in Tuscany. Fortunately the car was unlocked..but full of wine I'd just purchased. I had a spare but it was at my home which back then was SW France.

3 of us tore her remote rented farmhouse apart, unloaded the wine and did the same with the interior of the car, searched the ground around the car and the path to the farmhouse. Several times.  It never, ever turned up.  Not even when she packed up and left. I suspected a magpie, there were several pairs around and the fob had a shiny St. Christopher medallion on it, had spotted it on the ground and made off with it. What other explanation?

I was a little stressed as I was supposed to be back in France for the weekend. Next morning I contacted a friend and told him how to get in to my house and where to find the spare. All good, he sent it express, next day delivery, with a well known courier that same day.

Tracking showed it had indeed arrived at the couriers local Italian office and a delivery attempt made but he could not find us. Claimed he called but I had no call record. Perhaps because my phone was roaming? Rang the office. No speaka Inglesi ni Franchesi. OK, and I no speaka Italiano. My daughter who does was out at work. Got her to call when she came in and give very detailed directions. Still no delivery the following day. Still could not find us. Next call by the daughter after she finished work established there was no delivery over the weekend. Would have to wait until the Monday. BUT you can collect before 6 pm today, Friday now,  but not over the weekend. And she had just returned from Pisa where their depot and the package was. If only we had known! My daughter very kindly, she is a patient person, said we'd better go now as it's roughly a 2 hour drive and it's already 4pm. So back in her work minivan and off we went. We made it, just! 

So, even if you lost the key " at home" and even have a spare if it isn't with you it's not necessarily simples. 

Still I and my dog of that time got some extra days at hers, a fantastic place in the Tuscan hills, and she got several bottles of the Tuscan wines I had bought.  But the stress levels were high all round and I had to postpone my weekend meet up in France.

On 4/10/2024 at 12:55 PM, The Fugitive said:

By one isolated thoughtless avoidable incident absolutely nothing. Combined with dropping her new iPhone down a grid, her laptop into a river and when we were in a decent restaurant sitting and eating comfortably howling out 'I've left my handbag in the clothes shop where I was trying on......' Not forgetting picking us up from the airport and telephoning to ask 'Where are you? I've been here 20 minutes'. She was waiting in the departure zone instead of arrivals! 

On 4/9/2024 at 4:38 PM, eisfeld said:

I suggest a good search at home. It's not like you can forget the key when somewhere else because you need it to drive the bike home. And if you still manage to forget it while out and about without the bike then why take the key? I've also attached some little accessory to my keys, makes them easier to spot and less likely to lose.

Yes.  Sound advice if lost at home.

So here's a true story. You don't need to read on! I lost the coded car key once whilst visiting my daughter in Tuscany. Fortunately the car was unlocked..but full of wine I'd just purchased. I had a spare but it was at my home which back then was SW France.

3 of us tore her remote rented farmhouse apart, unloaded the wine and did the same with the interior of the car, searched the ground around the car and the path to the farmhouse. Several times.  It never, ever turned up.  Not even when she packed up and left. I suspected a magpie, there were several pairs around and the fob had a shiny St. Christopher medallion on it, had spotted it on the ground and made off with it. What other explanation?

I was a little stressed as I was supposed to be back in France for the weekend. Next morning I contacted a friend and told him how to get in to my house and where to find the spare. All good, he sent it express, next day delivery, with a well known courier that same day.

Tracking showed it had indeed arrived at the couriers local Italian office and a delivery attempt made but he could not find us. Claimed he called but I had no call record. Perhaps because my phone was roaming? Rang the office. No speaka Inglesi ni Franchesi. OK, and I no speaka Italiano. My daughter who does was out at work. Got her to call when she came in and give very detailed directions. Still no delivery the following day. Still could not find us. Next call by the daughter after she finished work established there was no delivery over the weekend. Would have to wait until the Monday. BUT you can collect before 6 pm today, Friday now,  but not over the weekend. And she had just returned from Pisa where their depot and the package was. If only we had known! My daughter very kindly, she is a patient person, said we'd better go now as it's roughly a 2 hour drive and it's already 4pm. So back in her work minivan and off we went. We made it, just! 

So, even if you lost the key " at home" and even have a spare if it isn't with you it's not necessarily simples. 

Still I and my dog of that time got some extra days at hers, a fantastic place in the Tuscan hills, and she got several bottles of the Tuscan wines I had bought.  But the stress levels were high all round and I had to postpone my weekend meet up in France.

On 4/11/2024 at 6:53 PM, ChrisKC said:

Why spend time looking around? You could be doing that and missing one under your nose.

A good example of why asking ANY Thai person around where you live will know - Easy!

Or do a google maps search if your Thai isn't too good. Usually comes up with something 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

You have the brightest one there Obi Wan. Not unlike my dear wife555

• Confused 1