Anglican Church

CrossBones

16 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

They are all cults, and  "normal" people do not believe in this rubbish. The only people who do, are those who have been brainwashed to the necessary degree, this normally takes place in their formative years.   Due to the "influence and power" of "the church" which is a relic from medieval times, this brainwashing is sanctioned by governments, and  it invariably takes place from the minute children start schooling, as young minds are very impressionable to suggestion, but just like the tooth fairy and father christmas, normal people grow out of it

I wonder what the success rate would be if it was not allowed to be forced on people until they reached adulthood ?

Why do they feel the need to indulge this fantasy en masse in the company of like minded others? Bearing in mind their allegedly strong faith,  Is it not possible for them to communicate with their imaginary friend in the privacy of their own bedrooms?  It's high time any public mention of religion was made illegal.

What sort of people revere religions,  especially given the number of pedophiles that have held positions of power in them  and been protected from the consequences of their sickening behaviour?

And as for finding other "followers" who do not pass judgement, good luck with that , it is one of the core reasons d'etre of all religions, and  more pertinently what has the OP got to hide from others that he does not want to be judged

The reason children are "brainwashed" at an early age to believe in God, which is actually the most important thing they can learn, is because children are at an age where they will believe what their caretakers say, because they are feeding, holding, hugging and helping them. 0-5 are the most important years of a person's life, and those years afterward enforce whet they have learned before. This is also the reason so many turn away from God. It's also learned at a very young age, by parents who were abusive, spoliers and neglective. This force feeding by parents who were not acting like parents, and who their children trusted, made anything about God bad.

If a child is never taught about God, in a loving setting, they will have to learn from the world,which is filled with disturbed people who are taught hate and if the child's peers are someone they trust, learning happens.The same with children turning to drugs and alcohol. If they see their parents abuse it, it's normal to them. If their parents are authoritarian or absent, they learn what to do from their peers, and again, those peers might have issues.

Normal people don't grow out of honor to God, they engulf it, because in a world that's usually sad, where most of the time there are problems, all you have left is hope for a forever when you die, with God. Without this, you live and die with nothing to look forward to. If you don't believe in God, that's your deal. Just don't try and sway others to turn away because you might have had a bad experience growing up, with no parents to teach you the right way.

Believers usually will always believe, because we know life is hard, and is supposed to be, so as not to get complacent with the nice things life offers you that never last.

17 hours ago, scorecard said:

"...difficult to imagine some of the yobbos on here bending down reverently before sidling into the pew...." I agree, because I am not a believer, and never will be.

You might like to note there's been several reports recently that there is no evidence whatever that Jesus or God ever existed.

My main experience with christianity was when I was conscripted for national service, about 1 month before the end of boot camp (3 months total) we were told that the next day we would going to the camp chapel to meet / listen to the camp chaplain (Church of England guy) for an hour. Up to that point nobody knew there was a chapel / chaplain in the camp, and a couple of soldiers were strongly upset because if they had known they would have tried to attend a service or gone to the chapel alone to pray.

We marched in and were told to stand to attention in front of one of the chairs all lined in rows.  The chaplain came in in his robes and told us to sit down. Two NCO trainers sat at the side along with our platoon officer, a young officer who had recently returned after his service in Vietnam was completed.

The chaplain walked back and forth repeating continuously 'I am your friend', and 'Jesus, god and myself promise you that you will not get injured when you are in Sth Vietnam'. Plus more and more 'I am your friend'.

Then he said I invite you to ask me any questions / any questions at all, and I will answer your questions.

A few guys asked questions and the chaplain answered. Then I asked 'sir I have never understood where the bible came from?'  The chaplain then 'turned' and got extremely angry and accused me of being insulting to the bible, god, jesus and to him.  He then instructed 2 soldiers to march me to the camp commanders office and to tell the camp commander that I had been insulting.

A few minutes later, no opportunity to confirm or deny the chaplains claim and i was ordered to do extra cleaning duties every morning from 3:00 am to until about 6. 30am for the rest of my time at the boot camp.

A couple of days later a few of the new conscripts and myself were talking to the platoon officer.  He mentioned 'there is severe danger in the operational areas in Sth. Vietnam, soldiers get killed, lose limbs and more and the chaplain should not have told you he can totally protect you, and he looked at me and said 'I'm sorry the chaplain got so angry with you and that you are doing kitchen duties for no valid reason'.

The platoon officer then said;

- Make sure you listen very carefully to your orders at all times

- Never take any action that was not instructed by your senior leader except of course to try to shoot the enemy.

So much for Christianity. 

Like I mentioned in another's post, a bad experience in formative years can turn a person away from God. If someone tries to force God down your throat, you might resist. If they tell you believing will protect you in Vietnam, that probably won't happen, because war is not a normal circumstance and with free will, people will kill each other for all kinds of ridiculous reasons, religion being one of them.

God might save people here and there, as miracles do seem to still happen, but for the most part, he's left us to do what we want, and by not following his rules, look at what's happened to the world since Jesus left. There will always be "reports" saying Jesus and God aren't real, for all the same reasons. Hatred towards the people who taught them about God, which lead to "why should I if he acts that way"?

I was raised in a Catholic family, with a very loving mom and a stern dad that provided. I eventually was born again into just a Christian attitude, seeing Catholicism as okay in a lot of ways but with money being too involved, and praying to people besides Jesus and God doesn't help. Again, how you were raised from birth to pre teen is everything as far as the life's learning process.

7 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Like I mentioned in another's post, a bad experience in formative years can turn a person away from God. If someone tries to force God down your throat, you might resist. If they tell you believing will protect you in Vietnam, that probably won't happen, because war is not a normal circumstance and with free will, people will kill each other for all kinds of ridiculous reasons, religion being one of them.

God might save people here and there, as miracles do seem to still happen, but for the most part, he's left us to do what we want, and by not following his rules, look at what's happened to the world since Jesus left. There will always be "reports" saying Jesus and God aren't real, for all the same reasons. Hatred towards the people who taught them about God, which lead to "why should I if he acts that way"?

I was raised in a Catholic family, with a very loving mom and a stern dad that provided. I eventually was born again into just a Christian attitude, seeing Catholicism as okay in a lot of ways but with money being too involved, and praying to people besides Jesus and God doesn't help. Again, how you were raised from birth to pre teen is everything as far as the life's learning process.

"God might save people here and there..." 

This is the part I don't accept (what others accept is of course their business).

Is god really capable of monitoring every human being and changing / adjusting things to ensure each person is safe / recovers from serious illness etc etc? 

My comments are NOT intended to try to pull anybody away from their religious beliefs, they are entitled to believe if they wish. But I am am also entitled to not believe. 

Edited by scorecard

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

"God might save people here and there..." 

This is the part I don't accept (what others accept is of course their business).

Is god really capable of monitoring every human being and changing / adjusting things to ensure each person is safe / recovers from serious illness etc etc? 

If there is an entity that can make a universe from his mind, I'm sure he's capable of most anything. Some don't realize just what goes into the creation of just the human brain, let alone how all life has what it needs here, as far as air, water and food, all the different species that exist here, how the earth is just the right distance from the sun to sustain life, how the moon works for the earth, and many other things that are miracles themselves. They believe all this happened by chance, a universe created when nothing existed, meaning any type of matter. That's plain ridiculous and impossible, but they have people they follow they trust, which sways them from the real story of God.

1 hour ago, blazes said:

So you believe in Hell, eh?  Maybe, instead, you might want to join the Climate Cultists, because they keep telling us we are all going to be "frying" very soon if we don't do as they say....

Climate change is based on science and highly educated people who carefully measure numerous factors.....religion is based on "faith"...just be a good boy, get in line, and believe what you are told no matter how crazy it may be backed by nothing but "faith",

I'll take the facts based folks thanks.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

The reason children are "brainwashed" at an early age to believe in God, which is actually the most important thing they can learn, is because children are at an age where they will believe what their caretakers say, because they are feeding, holding, hugging and helping them. 0-5 are the most important years of a person's life, and those years afterward enforce whet they have learned before. This is also the reason so many turn away from God. It's also learned at a very young age, by parents who were abusive, spoliers and neglective. This force feeding by parents who were not acting like parents, and who their children trusted, made anything about God bad.

If a child is never taught about God, in a loving setting, they will have to learn from the world,which is filled with disturbed people who are taught hate and if the child's peers are someone they trust, learning happens.The same with children turning to drugs and alcohol. If they see their parents abuse it, it's normal to them. If their parents are authoritarian or absent, they learn what to do from their peers, and again, those peers might have issues.

Normal people don't grow out of honor to God, they engulf it, because in a world that's usually sad, where most of the time there are problems, all you have left is hope for a forever when you die, with God. Without this, you live and die with nothing to look forward to. If you don't believe in God, that's your deal. Just don't try and sway others to turn away because you might have had a bad experience growing up, with no parents to teach you the right way.

Believers usually will always believe, because we know life is hard, and is supposed to be, so as not to get complacent with the nice things life offers you that never last.

The most important thing kids can be taught at an early age is to keep well away from  the kiddie fiddling members of the clergy

Their are millions of people of different religious backgrounds who have no concept of the fictional character to which you refer

There are also millions who have killed or been killed as a result of their beliefs and or the beliefs of others

Life can be incredibly hard or relatively easy its what you make it.  The belief that death results in some sort of beautiful future in an eternal paradise sat on the knee of some imaginary entity is pure and unadulterated fantasy with no basis in fact what so ever. Nothing more than a fairytale 

I had a thoroughly enjoyable and normal childhood, raised by decent parents who managed to teach me right from wrong without having to resort to lying to me about fictional deities or imaginary bogeymen .

Why should I not be able to publicly dismiss the ridiculous concept of god , when there are plenty of nutters trying to force it down the throats of others. They pick their targets quite selectively, specifically vulnerable young children, and life's losers    exactly the same way that unscrupulous drug dealers operate.  However unlike drug dealers who can at least  offer something albeit far from ideal  here and now., the god botherers can offer absolutely nothing of any substance , merely a sense of false hope, that even they can never ever be sure of 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

The most important thing kids can be taught at an early age is to keep well away from  the kiddie fiddling members of the clergy

Their are millions of people of different religious backgrounds who have no concept of the fictional character to which you refer

There are also millions who have killed or been killed as a result of their beliefs and or the beliefs of others

Life can be incredibly hard or relatively easy its what you make it.  The belief that death results in some sort of beautiful future in an eternal paradise sat on the knee of some imaginary entity is pure and unadulterated fantasy with no basis in fact what so ever. Nothing more than a fairytale 

I had a thoroughly enjoyable and normal childhood, raised by decent parents who managed to teach me right from wrong without having to resort to lying to me about fictional deities or imaginary bogeymen .

Why should I not be able to publicly dismiss the ridiculous concept of god , when there are plenty of nutters trying to force it down the throats of others. They pick their targets quite selectively, specifically vulnerable young children, and life's losers    exactly the same way that unscrupulous drug dealers operate.  However unlike drug dealers who can at least  offer something albeit far from ideal  here and now., the god botherers can offer absolutely nothing of any substance , merely a sense of false hope, that even they can never ever be sure of 

The most important thing a child can learn is who to trust, and who not to. This is learned from 0-5, and enforced from then on.

There are many child molesters and most aren't believers in God, because they know it's against his laws. That Catholic priests do this is an abomination, and of course againt what God says.

There are also many millions who believe in the one God. many have been killed by extremists that use religion as a crutch, and they're of course wrong, because all religions are against killing.

That there is life after death comes from faith in God's teachings. You can choose to believe otherwise and you will see when you die. Trying to convince others that there is no God is a total waste of your time. If you are wrong and you succeed you are helping them enter hell. If you are right it doesn't matter, so it' s still a waste of your time.

You don't lose anything believing in God. In fact, you are more likely to follow his rules, which , besides the ones regarding him, make complete sense.

Edited by fredwiggy

49 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

If there is an entity that can make a universe from his mind, I'm sure he's capable of most anything. Some don't realize just what goes into the creation of just the human brain, let alone how all life has what it needs here, as far as air, water and food, all the different species that exist here, how the earth is just the right distance from the sun to sustain life, how the moon works for the earth, and many other things that are miracles themselves. They believe all this happened by chance, a universe created when nothing existed, meaning any type of matter. That's plain ridiculous and impossible, but they have people they follow they trust, which sways them from the real story of God.

So what is the "real story of god"  that you refer to presumably that written by the primitive clerics a mere 2000 years ago and distorted over the years by a combination of translation to other languages and the human propensity for indulging in chinese whispers and of course jumped on by those of dubious intent who were quick to exploit human's fundamental fear of the unknown to enable them to control the masses as they felt fit

Your vision of an afterlife in eternal paradise is some what different to the Buddhist theories of reincarnation   What make you so sure your version is correct.  oh yes I forgot , your "faith"

You are of course free to believe whatever you want no matter how irrational, as indeed are the rest of us who generally feel no need to impose our views on the rest of society 

6 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

So what is the "real story of god"  that you refer to presumably that written by the primitive clerics a mere 2000 years ago and distorted over the years by a combination of translation to other languages and the human propensity for indulging in chinese whispers and of course jumped on by those of dubious intent who were quick to exploit human's fundamental fear of the unknown to enable them to control the masses as they felt fit

Your vision of an afterlife in eternal paradise is some what different to the Buddhist theories of reincarnation   What make you so sure your version is correct.  oh yes I forgot , your "faith"

You are of course free to believe whatever you want no matter how irrational, as indeed are the rest of us who generally feel no need to impose our views on the rest of society 

What is irrational to you makes perfect sense to us. Thinking the universe just came to be from no creation makes no sense. It still  shows in our thinking of the miracles that we see everyday here, which to us come from a creator. Our "proof" makes more sense than yours and others that think as you do. Buddhists don't believe in God, or actually most don't, so that keeps them away from Gods paradise. No false gods is one of the commandments which makes sense also.

4 hours ago, blazes said:

One religion is much the same as any other....it always involves believing that some other schmuck's religion should be swept from the face of the earth.

and all of them offer nothing now, just false promises, which will conveniently only allegedly be fulfilled after death. |Religions were not created by divine mystical deities they were created by humans More specifically by men. Why for example do no religions accept women as equal to men often portraying them as inferior and in some cases even unclean ?

I am not going to waste my time arguing this with nutters who believe this fairytale anymore than i would waste time arguing with a flat earther or a vegan. I have seen or heard of nothing during my life which gives me any reason to believe the existence of a "god"  and neither has anybody else

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

No false gods is one of the commandments which makes sense also.

So that's millions upon millions of hindus lined up for hell fire and damnation too then.  Have you thought of warning them?

4 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

What is irrational to you makes perfect sense to us. Thinking the universe just came to be from no creation makes no sense. It still  shows in our thinking of the miracles that we see everyday here, which to us come from a creator. Our "proof" makes more sense than yours and others that think as you do. Buddhists don't believe in God, or actually most don't, so that keeps them away from Gods paradise. No false gods is one of the commandments which makes sense also.

"Us" being who?  other brainwashed people that's who.  Your "proof"??  You have absolutely no proof of anything , nothing at all whatsoever. All you have is a flawed belief in what warped adults told you as a kid. You have literally had the fear of god put into you.   I won't be wasting my time trying to cure you,  That is the domain of professional psychotherapists

Not quite sure why you are so quick to condemn all the worlds Buddhists to hell fir and damnation, but you seem to be convinced that you know something that they all don't ,  So more than a little arrogance there on your behalf in my opinion

I don't know where you live but you should take a trip one day to where I live in darkest Surin on the border with Cambodia. the rubbish they believe in here is no more ridiculous than what you believe,  But believe  in it they do , and just as strongly as you if not more so.  Who is to say that your belief is more valid than theirs ?   

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Anyone that believes in invisible friends is mentally ill. End of!

As usual you are pretty much  spot on There is absolutely no other explanation

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

and all of them offer nothing now, just false promises, which will conveniently only allegedly be fulfilled after death. |Religions were not created by divine mystical deities they were created by humans More specifically by men. Why for example do no religions accept women as equal to men often portraying them as inferior and in some cases even unclean ?

I am not going to waste my time arguing this with nutters who believe this fairytale anymore than i would waste time arguing with a flat earther or a vegan. I have seen or heard of nothing during my life which gives me any reason to believe the existence of a "god"  and neither has anybody else

Christianity looks at women as equals. Believers see all of creation as miracles, and it's strange to me, and millions of others, that some think all of creation just happened by chance, which is impossible. That's our proof, and it's all we need to believe there's a creator. Like I said, it's best to keep your beliefs to yourself, as trying to turn people away from God is usually fruitless, and a complete waste of your time anyway. Why bother?

18 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

"Us" being who?  other brainwashed people that's who.  Your "proof"??  You have absolutely no proof of anything , nothing at all whatsoever. All you have is a flawed belief in what warped adults told you as a kid. You have literally had the fear of god put into you.   I won't be wasting my time trying to cure you,  That is the domain of professional psychotherapists

Not quite sure why you are so quick to condemn all the worlds Buddhists to hell fir and damnation, but you seem to be convinced that you know something that they all don't ,  So more than a little arrogance there on your behalf in my opinion

I don't know where you live but you should take a trip one day to where I live in darkest Surin on the border with Cambodia. the rubbish they believe in here is no more ridiculous than what you believe,  But believe  in it they do , and just as strongly as you if not more so.  Who is to say that your belief is more valid than theirs ?   

Warped is a parent that doesn't teach their children positive things. Teaching them about God isn't hurting them in any way and gives them hope. What would happen if there turned out to be no God? Did they waste their time being good people? Where is any loss ? Of fun? Living a positive, helpful, loving life and having God in it doesn't subtract anything. I'm not afraid of God, as I know I, and everyone else, will meet him someday. Hopefully I'll be prepared.

I don't condemn anyone. Not my job. Only my job to spread the word. It's up to others what they want to do with that information. I live near Cambodia also. My belief is more valid because I believe in God, and with that I believe there's a forever in heaven. If you don't believe in God, how is there a heaven? Who created heaven if not God. They believe in an afterlife, enlightenment. What is that if it doesn't have a heaven? And where I live there are Christians, both foreigners and some Thais. My ex's sister is a Christian. And what would you be curing me of? A faith in God? What's the cure? Believing that we all came to be from nothing? From a big bang that created all of life, all the species, all the planets and that life just happens to have all it needs on earth?I think I'll stick with what makes more sense.

Edited by fredwiggy

16 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Anyone that believes in invisible friends is mentally ill. End of!

And I say anyone that believes the universe, which is composed of matter, came into being from a big bang that just happened by itself, is out there also.

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

And I say anyone that believes the universe, which is composed of matter, came into being from a big bang that just happened by itself, is out there also.

No need to believe anything!

Live every day as it comes, and ignore those who lie in an attempt to control you.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

No need to believe anything!

Live every day as it comes, and ignore those who lie in an attempt to control you.

I ignore those who are mentally ill, toxic people who use their narcissism to control others. No one can control you if you don't let them, at least after realizing they are trying to.

2 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Christianity looks at women as equals. Believers see all of creation as miracles, and it's strange to me, and millions of others, that some think all of creation just happened by chance, which is impossible. That's our proof, and it's all we need to believe there's a creator. Like I said, it's best to keep your beliefs to yourself, as trying to turn people away from God is usually fruitless, and a complete waste of your time anyway. Why bother?

I would not waste my time trying to change your beliefs.  But i feel entitled to explain why the rest of us may not agree. It does not mean we are "sinners"  "living in a moral vacuum"  or even "yobbos" as  the OP described us.  Our views and opinions are just as relevant as yours if not more so.

Your proof is fundamentally flawed however, as not understanding or knowing the answer to certain questions and the inability to explain things, is not evidence of the existence of "god" it is only evidence of ignorance or a lack of knowledge. 

As an example   I don't understand Quantum physics , fluid mechanics, or calculus, it is because I am ignorant of such matters simple as that. It in no way proves anything  else  and to use that ignorance as the basis for a religion would be ridiculous, would it not? 

Just now, Bday Prang said:

I would not waste my time trying to change your beliefs.  But i feel entitled to explain why the rest of us may not agree. It does not mean we are "sinners"  "living in a moral vacuum"  or even "yobbos" as  the OP described us.  Our views and opinions are just as relevant as yours if not more so.

Your proof is fundamentally flawed however, as not understanding or knowing the answer to certain questions and the inability to explain things, is not evidence of the existence of "god" it is only evidence of ignorance or a lack of knowledge. 

As an example   I don't understand Quantum physics , fluid mechanics, or calculus, it is because I am ignorant of such matters simple as that. It in no way proves anything  else  and to use that ignorance as the basis for a religion would be ridiculous, would it not? 

Everyone's opinions are valid. Some aren't true. Trying to call me ignorant when you have no evidence of anything besides a Creator is foolish as well. What knowledge does anyone have that there isn't a God? None whatsoever. Just their opinions.  Like I said, better to keep your opinions to yourself so they don't hurt anyone. If you believe that everything came to be from something outside of a Creator, that's your deal, along with some others. You won't convince the billions of believers to change to your side so again, why bother?

12 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Warped is a parent that doesn't teach their children positive things. Teaching them about God isn't hurting them in any way and gives them hope. What would happen if there turned out to be no God? Did they waste their time being good people? Where is any loss ? Of fun? Living a positive, helpful, loving life and having God in it doesn't subtract anything. I'm not afraid of God, as I know I, and everyone else, will meet him someday. Hopefully I'll be prepared.

I don't condemn anyone. Not my job. Only my job to spread the word. It's up to others what they want to do with that information. I live near Cambodia also. My belief is more valid because I believe in God, and with that I believe there's a forever in heaven. If you don't believe in God, how is there a heaven? Who created heaven if not God. They believe in an afterlife, enlightenment. What is that if it doesn't have a heaven? And where I live there are Christians, bot foreigners and some Thais. My ex's sister is a Christian. And what would you be curing me of? A faith in God? What's the cure? Believing that we all came to be from nothing? From a big bang that created all of life, all the species, all the planets and that life just happens to have all it needs on earth?I think I'll stick with what makes more sense.

Your Job?  what are you a Jehovah's Witness ?      Ok then tell us about heaven, how does it compare to muslim heaven?  Are there 72 virgins or what?

I'll tell you what I think its like after you die, and that is  exactly the same as it was before you were born,   Prove me wrong and I'll convert here and now.  Don't worry I won't be holding my breath

1 minute ago, Bday Prang said:

Your Job?  what are you a Jehovah's Witness ?      Ok then tell us about heaven, how does it compare to muslim heaven?  Are there 72 virgins or what?

I'll tell you what I think its like after you die, and that is  exactly the same as it was before you were born,   Prove me wrong and I'll convert here and now.  Don't worry I won't be holding my breath

It's a Christians job to spread the word. Not a fanatic like Jehovah's Witnesses. I can't tell you about heaven because I'm still here. Neither can you tell me what happens after you die. All we can go in is either faith, or seeing how many people have been brain dead and came back, telling us a little what they saw, and some of this was children who saw things they couldn't have known anything about. There is even a video about a Myanmar monk who was dead for a few days and came back, saying he went to hell and saw Buddha there., among other  Buddhists. You can google it.

8 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Like I said, better to keep your opinions to yourself so they don't hurt anyone.

Where as you consider it perfectly acceptable to inflict  your opinions on everybody. Your job  as you chose to describe it , your divine right perhaps?

3 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

There is even a video about a Myanmar monk who was dead for a few days and came back, saying he went to hell and saw Buddha there., among other  Buddhists. You can google it.

Dead for a few days and came back to life? Really ??  Don't believe all you see on youtube and tiktok. But  You should try using google too, check out the origin of the saying "saved by the bell"  and while you are at it you could check out the loch ness monster and bigfoot for good measure