Chinese influencer’s food poisoning sparks Thai food hygiene row

webfact

4 minutes ago, 1tent42 said:

As a counterpoint, I lived in China for a few years, Philippines too.  I’ve eaten a fair share of local foods. 

The only time I suffered severe food poisoning is in Thailand. 

I avoid street food now. 

Just avoid the bad stuff, not everything.

In 17 years here in Thailand I've had food poisoning twice.  Both times after eating at internationally known chain restaurants. 

I have never gotten ill eating Thai food either from restaurants or street vendors. 

However for the "influencer?" 
Do stupid stuff, win stupid prizes.  In other words, eat raw and supposedly fermented meat dishes, win a few days glued to the toilet with the sh**s.  As my mama always said, "Stupid is as stupid does."

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Raw food a very hot weather... what more do you need for food poisoning?? The influencer should know better. Thailand is maybe the only safe country to eat from foodstalles in Sout East Asia, as in Europe we are told...

Maybe the seller of raw foods in the current heat should also consider their product offering. Buyer beware, but seller be aware of the damage your product can cause

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai tour guide in Bangkok recommended me not to eat raw seafood because Bangkok is far from the sea, so the seafood ingredients are not that fresh.

Really? Did the Thai tour guide offer an alternative?

Cheap food may not be good in China (I would never buy anything from Beijing night market after I saw how they prepared it + the smell of old oil).

However, seafood in restaurants or supermarkets is very fresh. They usually only sell live seafood from aquariums (it could be polluted thought).

Edited by candide

surprised TAT and the "non" elected PM let the post go public, they will have to (once again 555)  revise their expected/estimated Chinese tourists arrivals 555

10 hours ago, webfact said:

“Honestly, Thai food is not as hygienic as food in China.”

Coming from the country that uses gutter oil, is the largest producer of everything from fake whiskey to contaminated skin creams, and gave the world the Wuhan virus!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, rexpotter said:

Can we have a good China bashing for a while here? Went into what appeared to be a regular supermarket, and thought great, name brand food everywhere, Ritz Crackers, Spam (health food in China) etc etc. Got home and it was all fake. hahaha. Fights were commonplace in the big store, old people good old communists going at it, they were old pros. Fighting for the best fruit. After a while I thought why not have some fun and I started driving my shopping cart into the legs of the other people to fight my way in for fresh fruit.

Thailand has the cleanest street food anywhere in the world I have ever been.

We have other communists here who also have special and unique social skills.

Not sure about cleanest in the world, but I'm sure the Rats and Roaches will agree with you..

• Haha 1

I won't eat street food. I always ask myself where the folks selling them go to the toilet during the long afternoon and evening. I can't recall seeing any of them washing their hands when I go to a market and the 10 baht bathrooms are horribly dirty....so dirty I wouldn't take my dog to defecate there. 

On 4/12/2024 at 10:16 AM, ikke1959 said:

Raw food an very hot weather... what more do you need for food poisoning?? The influencer should know better. Thailand is maybe the only safe country to eat from foodstalles in Sout East Asia, as in Europe we are told...

Had food poisoning from eating stew in an upmarket restaurant in Austria. Spend 2 nights in hospital on a drip. Cost just over 8000€. Insurance paid. I found hygiene to be a problem in Europe. 

8 minutes ago, Letseng said:

Had food poisoning from eating stew in an upmarket restaurant in Austria. Spend 2 nights in hospital on a drip. Cost just over 8000€. Insurance paid. I found hygiene to be a problem in Europe. 

Mostly from immigrant owned outlets

Raw marinated Thai food is depended upon where you ate. If at fine restaurants , it is ok . Open air night market is not recommended as raw food goes bad fast. Moreover Thais use lime and chili to control the bacteria population for their raw and cooked food not heat.  These open air raw food is not suitable for  tourists . Same goes to most asean countries.

use your common sense when travelling abroad. 

• Confused 1

On 4/12/2024 at 7:10 PM, mithunonthenet said:

Coming from the country that uses gutter oil, is the largest producer of everything from fake whiskey to contaminated skin creams, and gave the world the Wuhan virus!

China is a vast country with various strata of society. Super rich to super poor so to each their interpretation ofhygine and food safety. Western countries are less polarized in wealth distribution and share similar food safety standards. Not in China though. 

• Confused 1