Chinese influencer’s food poisoning sparks Thai food hygiene row

webfact

50 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Plonker for eating raw seafood, plonker for not having insurance. :coffee1: 

Aren't tourists required to have travel insurance or medical insurance before they can enter Thailand?  Maybe that rule was never implemented.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Have had more diarrhoea  in China than in Thailand.  Lived in China for 6 years, now living in northern Thailand.  Completely diasgree that one country has worse food than the other in terms of hygiene.

Just have to be careful what you eat.  Raw seafood tends to be higher risk than cooked or fermented foods

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, rexpotter said:

Guy sure needs a lot of attention. Better bring his mommy on his next trip to watch over him.

Better still stay at home and eat risky Chinese food, than come to Thailand to eat risky Thai food and then complain that the food HE chose gave him problems.

• Thumbs Up 1

Raw food an very hot weather... what more do you need for food poisoning?? The influencer should know better. Thailand is maybe the only safe country to eat from foodstalles in Sout East Asia, as in Europe we are told...

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, petedk said:

Aren't tourists required to have travel insurance or medical insurance before they can enter Thailand?  Maybe that rule was never implemented.

I believe that was only during COVID, or only enforced then and for some visa types, proof of health insurance is required.

1 hour ago, Ohyesuare said:

Just to add, I can't recall one time I've had food poisoning in the 15 years I've been here on and off and I've eaten raw crab, raw shrimp, you name it.

I wouldn't make a special appointment for it, but next time you see the doc, you may wanna look into your liver.  Low probability, maybe.  But raw "sea"food (with a lot coming from polluted lakes and rivers) can cause liver flukes, leading to an elevated risk of liver cancer in Thailand.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, impulse said:

I wouldn't make a special appointment for it, but next time you see the doc, you may wanna look into your liver.  Low probability, maybe.  But raw "sea"food (with a lot coming from polluted lakes and rivers) can cause liver flukes, leading to an elevated risk of liver cancer in Thailand.

On that issue one must keep in mind that the fish oil which is in everything here is harvested from the gulf of Thailand, squid. We all know what squid eat and flourish on.

24 minutes ago, rexpotter said:

On that issue one must keep in mind that the fish oil which is in everything here is harvested from the gulf of Thailand, squid. We all know what squid eat and flourish on.

Good point, but I was thinking more along these lines:

Raw fish with spiced salad koi pla is a favourite dish in Thailand. But each year, thousands of people are infected with Opisthorchis viverrini, a liver fluke parasite transmitted to humans through raw or undercooked fish. Thailand has the world's highest incidence of cholangiocarcinoma a fatal form of liver cancer associated with O. viverrini. In some areas, nearly 85% of the population hosts the parasite.

https://idrc-crdi.ca/en/research-in-action/reducing-liver-fluke-transmission-northeastern-thailand

85% sounds pretty scary...  And I doubt foreigners are immune.

Edit:  And IIRC, there's another nasty disease that's associated with the raw freshwater crabs that you see at a lot of street vendors.

Edited by impulse

A few iv'e met mostly Thai up in Udon seem to get food poisoning a lot up in Udon Thani from eating shellfish mainly Tiger prawns. I Suspect these are transported from Bangkok wholesalers in refridgerated wagons.

However they will cetainly already be dead and if not frozen quickly before transporting they run the risk of going off quicly in the temperatures here in Thailand. Probabably half thawed out before putting them on the shelf or in the market where ice from the tap water will be thrown over them thinking there fresh. You dont know how fresh they are once they arrive up in the North. Never buy Shellfish dead always look for live fresh shelfish.

2 hours ago, Excogitator said:

Having travelled in both Thailand and China, I must say I had far more issues with food and hygiene there than here in Thailand, including a severe food poisoning..

As a counterpoint, I lived in China for a few years, Philippines too.  I’ve eaten a fair share of local foods. 

The only time I suffered severe food poisoning is in Thailand. 

I avoid street food now.