Telephoning Australia

one baht

9 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

I regularly cal Australia using FacebookMessenger, Facetime or other social media. If I can't get through, I might use my normal mobile provider for short calls (it is about 5 Baht per minute). For longer calls to government organisations etc I normally try to find their 'free' overseas line. However, it doesn't always work out 'free'.

I'll give it a go mate

On 4/13/2024 at 1:58 PM, georgegeorgia said:

What a fantastic topic 

I'm now researching Skype as I will need to ring the Australian Department of Statistical data when I'm in Thailand 

I wonder if Skype is still free to ring landlines from Thailand 

Get educated I am using Facebook I am video calling Thailand or vice versa for free.

• Sad 1

Calls to Australia with Thai service providers such as TrueMove are quite cheap, I rarely spend more than 100 baht making appointments etc.

For calls to friends, there are plenty of choices with a WiFi connection or data plan. I only use WiFi.

There is WhatsApp, LINE, MEET and ZOOM. MEET and Zoom are probably best in terms of video quality.

18 hours ago, scorecard said:

Line of viber, both are VOIP operated (voice over internet protocol).

And both are quite easy to download, SMS, chat and video chat, can send photos etc., all at no charge.

As I said - if the person or organisation you call does not have Line (or Viber) then you cannot call them free.

Skype allows you to call anyone - mobile or landline - and it is dirt cheap. 

Viber has the option to call a non-viber number - but you must pay for it and Skype is cheaper and is a much better service.

11 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

As I said - if the person or organisation you call does not have Line (or Viber) then you cannot call them free.

Skype allows you to call anyone - mobile or landline - and it is dirt cheap. 

Viber has the option to call a non-viber number - but you must pay for it and Skype is cheaper and is a much better service.

Agreed. Issues with Skype are that the person you rang cannot ring you back. You can rent a Skype 'geographical' landline number but not a mobile telephone number. To receive SMS you must have a USA Skype number and the text must have been sent from either a USA or Canadian number. OTP's are not supported.

33 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Agreed. Issues with Skype are that the person you rang cannot ring you back. You can rent a Skype 'geographical' landline number but not a mobile telephone number. To receive SMS you must have a USA Skype number and the text must have been sent from either a USA or Canadian number. OTP's are not supported.

True. But the OP was about making a call to Australiua.  Skype has as you said, options to receive calls, but limited SMS, and no OTP.  But I dont use Skype for anyhting other than making or receiving calls or vids.  I have a mobile phone SIM from Australia that I keep on an old second phone - I get all my OTPs from Australia using that (for free).  

• Agree 1

On 4/15/2024 at 2:17 PM, georgegeorgia said:

Nope your definitely smarter than me  especially with all the user names you are using .

Stick to one mate and you know who you are .

I had to laugh a few weeks ago when you posted to yourself forgetting you hadn't logged out of this name 😂

Funniest thing I ever read !

I don't know where yo got got the stupid idea that I have more then one user name .

You must be on drugs or it must  be yourself with all the usernames and cr@p you post.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, digger70 said:

I don't know where yo got got the stupid idea that I have more then one user name .

You must be on drugs or it must  be yourself with all the usernames and cr@p you post.

You should be respected , just looking at your posts about you being a former Navy Seal and commando in Vietnam, thankyou for your service 

6 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

You should be respected , just looking at your posts about you being a former Navy Seal and commando in Vietnam, thankyou for your service 

I have Never been the the former or claimed to be in the former services you mentioned .

You must be a magician and pulled those out of your Hat .

• Confused 1