The dark secrets of Thailand’s elephant tourism industry

george

elephant-dark.jpeg

Photo courtesy of The Nation

In a recent interview, concerns about the welfare of domesticated elephants have surged. These gentle giants, pivotal to Thailand’s economy since ancient times, now face a crisis that threatens their very existence.

During the Rattanakosin era, domesticated elephants bolstered Thailand’s economy by logging. However, a tragic turn in 1988, when floods and landslides claimed lives, forced a shift. Former Agriculture Minister Sanan Kachornprasart’s swift action suspended logging, leaving elephants and their mahouts jobless.

In the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic, as tourism plummeted, elephants suffered again. With parks shuttered, many mahouts returned home, while some turned to online shows to survive.

But beneath the surface of this lucrative industry lies a darker reality. Mahouts, wielding hooks and chains, raise concerns about animal welfare. Founder of the Save Elephant Foundation, Saengduean Chailert, exposes the separation of baby elephants from their mothers, risking their health and happiness, reported The Nation.

As cries for justice echo, experts demand accountability. Chief vet Taweepoke Angkawanish urges comprehensive care standards. He asserts that proper training, not abuse, is key to preserving these majestic creatures.

In related news, as Thailand marks the country’s National Elephant Day, authorities are rolling out ambitious plans to safeguard the majestic creatures and mitigate human-elephant conflicts. With a blend of innovation, community involvement, and legislative actions, the nation aims to secure the future of both wild and domesticated elephants.

In other news, Thailand stands accused of a sinister practice: the captive breeding of elephants for its lucrative tourism industry. But the horrors extend far beyond just elephants. Researchers have uncovered alarming findings, exposing the grim reality lurking behind the scenes of the wildlife entertainment industry.

In a study conducted by World Animal Protection (WAP), the scope of the issue is laid bare. An estimated 5.5 billion wild animals, spanning 487 species, endure cruel captivity worldwide, with elephants, bears, and lions among the most exploited.

-- The Thaiger 2024-04-13

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Excogitator said:

Normally, caged and chained elephants (and other animals in captivity) will have a certain behaviour indicating stress, typically repetitive and monotonous motions with head and body.

If you've been around animals a bit, you learn to recognise such signs and behaviours.

😂............Are you a vet.........😂.....?

Horses in stables, sheep in pens, elephants in shackles in case they pull their stable down.

Before steam, depending on the country, Ox, Horse and Elephant were used to do the work, even fight in wars, now surely their job was way more stressful than those entertaining tourists.......🤭..................😉

File:Indian Elephant used for work.JPG - Simple English Wikipedia, the free  encyclopedia

Edited by transam
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

You really cannot make this place up.

“We have dogs so we should be able to take or an orca out of the wild to create a revenue stream off the suffering of these wild animals”.

its on par with the level of sophistication of thaivisa posts 

Edited by Robert Paulson
  • Confused 1

Orcas were one of the best examples of this btw. If you ever went to sea world they used the poor animals in their shows. Sometimes even resulting in human death as I remember. At some point they discontinued the orca shows, uhhh, yeah… are we getting it yet, or are we still retorting with “but horses” lol

11 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

You cannot be serious; you do know these are wild animals, right? These aren’t animals that have been bred for human enjoyment. Or you don’t realize it? Either way, once again, you just cannot make it up.

What you’re doing is like comparing a dog to an atrocity with a tiger. It’s not really the same thing. I hope you can get it one day. 

" animals bred for human enjoyment"?

Isn't that a contradiction?

Are there no wild horses? Aren't horses historically wild?

You do know that the majority of elephants in the shows and on the streets have been born in captivity, don't you?

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

" animals bred for human enjoyment"?

Isn't that a contradiction?

Are there no wild horses? Aren't horses historically wild?

You do know that the majority of elephants in the shows and on the streets have been born in captivity, don't you?

You need to ask yourself why people are allowed to have dogs and not lions from Africa. It’ll answer a lot of your questions for you, because I can see I won’t be able to help you

• Sad 1

Just now, Robert Paulson said:

You need to ask yourself why people are allowed to have dogs and not lions from Africa. It’ll answer a lot of your questions for you, because I can see I won’t be able to help you

I don't recall mentioning lions.

No need for me to ask myself anything.

I did, however, ask you 5 questions.  As yet, unanswered questions.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, transam said:

Problem is, you don't like the facts I put forward, and bring out the troll card....

Big girls blouse........🤔

How do you know anything about my likes and experiences at all? You just keep making wild assumptions. 

I am not an animal rights activist or extremist at all. I have both hunted animals, and cared for animals.

I have been to elephant camps in more rural settings where the animals were just fine, living under good conditions, in a natural setting, with lots of space and movement.

And I have been to elephant camps in more urban areas, where the animals were crammed together, exposed to extreme heat, noise and crowds, and who were miserable.. It's the latter I object to.

Edited by Excogitator
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Excogitator said:

How do you know anything about my likes and experiences at all? You just keep making wild assumptions. 

I am not an animal rights activist or extremist at all. I have been to elephant camps in more rural settings where the animals were just fine, living under good conditions, in a natural setting, with lots of space and movement.

And I have been to elephant camps in more urban areas, where the animals were crammed together, exposed to extreme heat, noise and crowds, and who were miserable.. It's the latter I object to.

Miserable elephants..........Are you a vet.......?

Do the elephants at the Thai park regularly kill tourists, go on the rampage, are they starved, or do tourists give them treats.......?

Are the tourists in the same heat as the elephants....?

I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.........😯

• Confused 2

35 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

I think that is obvious, but in some countries folk do have lions as pets, even bears..🤔

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, transam said:

Miserable elephants..........Are you a vet.......?

Do the elephants at the Thai park regularly kill tourists, go on the rampage, are they starved, or do tourists give them treats.......?

Are the tourists in the same heat as the elephants....?

I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.........😯

So you were serious... okay, whatever, enjoy songkran, alone and miserable, in your 5000b/month room, watching animal-abuse vids on youtube...

• Confused 3
  • Love It 1
  • Agree 1