Where have all the doggies gone?

13 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Everything we don't carry around with us.  For some of us, that almost worth ฿1000, for others, maybe ฿1M.  Some things have no real value, except sentimental value.

TBH, not much that can't be replaced, and sometimes hope someone would come and steal all the crap I've collected, as I have a hard time discarding it, or give me a good reason to upgrade.

Send me your camera and camera lenses....please.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

In Pratumnak the alphas disappeared, maybe that's the strategy, i do see dogs dumped in the middle of nowhere outside Pattaya.

Yes, I’ve noticed that in north Jomtien, near Pratumnak, although there are still heaps of dogs, none are aggressive. Maybe someone in authority has been quietly arranging the removal of the problem dogs.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

In Pratumnak the alphas disappeared, maybe that's the strategy, i do see dogs dumped in the middle of nowhere outside Pattaya.

I see the feeders perpetuating the problem around Wat Yan, why can't they take them in as pets?

The ocassional feeders. Very dumb.

10 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Difficult to be honest to believe that you've ever really liked dogs, as you claim, after a comment like that; dogs are the most humane, loving, and loyal creatures on this planet, and none of them get a choice as to whether or not they become clean, well cared for pets, or have to scavenge to exist as filthy flea bags. As someone that has lived in SE Asia for a long time, it would be nice to think you had a bit more understanding an empathy for the plight of soi dogs  

NO sorry, tough <deleted> for them. They are a big problem, they've attacked and killed little kids many times here and they need to be managed. A good clean well behaved dog is wonderful, not those tossed out gangs od flea ridden rats that people come once in a while and feed. Which is terribly irresponsible. I used to love all dogs. Not anymore.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

As can be seen there are many foreigners in Thailand who hate dogs, and who hate animals generally. A word of warning, such people are sick. Keep your distance.

You are being a drama queen. I see mainly a dislike of feral stray dogs here... and that is quite justified. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, rexpotter said:

NO sorry, tough <deleted> for them. They are a big problem, they've attacked and killed little kids many times here and they need to be managed. A good clean well behaved dog is wonderful, not those tossed out gangs od flea ridden rats that people come once in a while and feed. Which is terribly irresponsible. I used to love all dogs. Not anymore.

Remember this? How would you like it, if it was your kid?

His Majesty the King has sent a vase of flowers to a five year old Finnish boy who was attacked and bitten by a pack of dogs at Ao Nang in Krabi on Wednesday afternoon.

The King instructed Captain Khumsup Iamsri, an officer attached to the King’s royal villa, to send the flowers to the boy at the Krabi Nakharin International Hospital in Krabi’s Muang district at 9.30am.

The gracious gift from His Majesty follows visits from city officials, Krabi Governor and, yesterday morning, the Thai PM during a visit to Krabi and Samui.

23 February 2019

14 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Everything we don't carry around with us.  For some of us, that almost worth ฿1000, for others, maybe ฿1M.  Some things have no real value, except sentimental value.

TBH, not much that can't be replaced, and sometimes hope someone would come and steal all the crap I've collected, as I have a hard time discarding it, or give me a good reason to upgrade.

Address please, and any information on any fishing tackle or music you might not need anymore

6 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Address please, and any information on any fishing tackle or music you might not need anymore

Some need to pick up on the idea of yard sales!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Luuk Chaai said:

Ha....  they shipped a load of them here to the Pranburi  Hua Hin area.   We have a new pack of 10 that sprouted...and the nice old lady's come by on their scooters and drop plastic bags of food on the corner for them..I'm pretty quick.  I grab most of them before the mutts and toss them out..had my wife stop one of them last night and ask/tell her to stop..and if she really wants to feed them I would be more than happy to relocate them to where her house is

Most Thai people are Buddhist, and as such have a great deal of empathy for animals. Thai people all over the country feed the soi dogs, because they understand and sympathise with their hardships.

What is obviously needed is a proper government funded sterilisation program to gradually reduce the numbers of them. What is not needed is people like you throwing away food that local people leave for them …. shame on you.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, rexpotter said:

Remember this? How would you like it, if it was your kid?

His Majesty the King has sent a vase of flowers to a five year old Finnish boy who was attacked and bitten by a pack of dogs at Ao Nang in Krabi on Wednesday afternoon.

The King instructed Captain Khumsup Iamsri, an officer attached to the King’s royal villa, to send the flowers to the boy at the Krabi Nakharin International Hospital in Krabi’s Muang district at 9.30am.

The gracious gift from His Majesty follows visits from city officials, Krabi Governor and, yesterday morning, the Thai PM during a visit to Krabi and Samui.

23 February 2019

Better to use that power to make sure the spay/neuter programs are well paid for, as this is the best way to keep the animals under control. By the way, dog attacks happen in every country, as I'm sure you know, and many are "well behaved, fed, owned dogs". I've been bitten twice in my life by aggressive dogs. Once in New Jersey while looking at a motorcycle to buy, a small lap dog that tore my pants , and the other by a dog here, owned, loose, after I returned from a wedding with my girlfriend and I tried to pet him.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Most Thai people are Buddhist, and as such have a great deal of empathy for animals. Thai people all over the country feed the soi dogs, because they understand and sympathise with their hardships.

What is obviously needed is a proper government funded sterilisation program to gradually reduce the numbers of them. What is not needed is people like you throwing away food that local people leave for them …. shame on you.

Hahaha

12 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

15 hours ago, KhunLA said:

No fishing tackle, strangely, for living near the Gulf.   Phom jon mak mak :coffee1:

2 minutes ago, actonion said:

Empathy for animals?, its mostly Thai's who throw their dogs on the streets when they cease to be small and cuddly, and expensive to feed..

I think eloquent pilgrim just got off the boat.

59 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

See a doctor, soon.

It's not the Drs who collect and dump them. This is what happened on our moobhan and I know it goes o elsewhere, instead of solving a problem they just take it to another place. Time they stopped treating soi dogs as holy relics and started eradicated these filthy pests.

Edited by proton
  • Love It 1

10 minutes ago, proton said:

It's not the Drs who collect and dump them. This is what happened on out moobhan and I know it goes o elsewhere, instead of solving a problem they just take it to another place. Time they stopped treating soi dogs as holy relics and started eradicated these filthy pests.

All animals should be kept under control by their owners. TNR (Trap, neuter and release) of Soi dogs may sound good in theory but the more effective method would be to trap and humanely destroy.

• Thanks 1

A quick google search reveals quite a list of dog rescue orgs. in/around Chiang Mai.

Problem is that the combined capacity of such will never  be enough to remove all strays from the streets which leads to feeding in situ which encourages  a population.

I do wonder how  many of such dog rescue ventures are more focused on donated funding self interest than canine care.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, rexpotter said:

I just moved back to Thailand and four months ago in the area I stay there was a huge problem with overfed aggressive street dogs. They survived on tossed out restuarant food, and the do-good dog lovers feeding them. Could not even walk around the area at night. So one day I noticed they were all gone, and I mean forty or fifty of them. I also noticed that Chiang Mai really cleaned up the dog problem in the northwest of the city where lots of expats live. Wonder how they do it?

Well, do you ever ate meat balls or pork steaks or curry or any other meat dishes? And did you realised it was not expensive? Voila! 🙏

• Haha 1

Some cities are engaging in the process of culling these dogs, which I believe is the merciful thing to do since these creatures live lives of misery and desperation.

It is unfortunate that some people have a misconception that feeding soi dogs earns some sort of Buddhavistic merit, which I think could not be further from the truth. 

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 0ffshore360 said:

A quick google search reveals quite a list of dog rescue orgs. in/around Chiang Mai.

Problem is that the combined capacity of such will never  be enough to remove all strays from the streets which leads to feeding in situ which encourages  a population.

I do wonder how  many of such dog rescue ventures are more focused on donated funding self interest than canine care.

Just like the elephant swiss, same deal fund themselves and pay a few kid peanuts to watch the little dog farm.