The Royal Thai Navy Museum of Avaiation, Sattahip

Guderian

Has anybody been? This is the place not far from the 7 motorway by the 331/332 junction, you can see a 747 and other aircraft parked up on the hill. It sounds like it would be an interesting place to spend an hour or two:

https://aviationspottersonline.com/royal-thai-navy-museum-u-taupo-naval-base/

but the guy who wrote that lot said it's not open to the public. I assume he really means the evil 'farang public' who might be spies wanting to steal the military secrets of their Dakotas and Corsairs, lol. After all, what would be the point of a large museum if the Thai public weren't allowed in? Or is that info out of date and you can visit it now?

• Thumbs Up 2

40 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Has anybody been? This is the place not far from the 7 motorway by the 331/332 junction, you can see a 747 and other aircraft parked up on the hill. It sounds like it would be an interesting place to spend an hour or two:

https://aviationspottersonline.com/royal-thai-navy-museum-u-taupo-naval-base/

but the guy who wrote that lot said it's not open to the public. I assume he really means the evil 'farang public' who might be spies wanting to steal the military secrets of their Dakotas and Corsairs, lol. After all, what would be the point of a large museum if the Thai public weren't allowed in? Or is that info out of date and you can visit it now?

Know a few people who were invited by people they knew in the Navy, but it is part of the military base on U-Tapeo, so do not think you just can walk in.

Are you not sure you are getting confused on the location, as the planes, 747, on the hills, sounds more like the Coffee War Cafe. The entrance to the museum is pictured below.

https://www.facebook.com/331Station

IMG_2418.jpeg

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Callmeishmael said:

I think I went years ago while scouting out a school field trip.  I recall it being rather interesting if you like old planes (as I do!)

Did you just turn up and go in, or did you have to make special arrangements to visit like the guy who wrote the article I linked to? I'm also a fan of old military stuff, and I'd like to visit but it's a long way to go just to be turned away at the gate.

• Thumbs Up 2

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Know a few people who were invited by people they knew in the Navy, but it is part of the military base on U-Tapeo, so do not think you just can walk in.

Are you not sure you are getting confused on the location, as the planes on the hills, sounds more like the Coffee War Cafe. The entrance to the museum is pictured below.

https://www.facebook.com/331Station

IMG_2418.jpeg

I might well be as mixing it up I've only seen it from the motorway while driving past.

So what's Coffee War? From the FB page it looks like it's an old passenger jet that's been converted into a cafe. Then what are all the other aircraft parked nearby, is that the museum?

Edited by Guderian

1 minute ago, Guderian said:

I might well be as mixing it up I've only seen it from the motorway while driving past.

So what's Coffee War? From the FB page it looks like it's an old passenger jet that's been converted into a cafe. Then what are all the other aircraft parked nearby, is that the museum?

Coffee war is just a cafe area, with some planes and old small military pieces placed around. Yes you can see it from highway 7. OK for a coffee and letting the other half take some selfies.

The museum is inside the airport perimeter and at ground level.

Coffee war picture below.

IMG_2420.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Coffee war is just a cafe area, with some planes and old small military pieces placed around. Yes you can see it from highway 7. OK for a coffee and letting the other half take some selfies.

The museum is inside the airport perimeter and at ground level.

Coffee war picture below.

IMG_2420.jpeg

OK, thanks. I was looking at Google Earth where someone has pinned Coffee War as being the Aviation Museum as well...

CoffeeWar.jpg.a632f46db1c3288d66edb468dac57ad5.jpg

4 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Sounds good, I'll take the GF there one of these days!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Guderian said:

OK, thanks. I was looking at Google Earth where someone has pinned Coffee War as being the Aviation Museum as well...

CoffeeWar.jpg.a632f46db1c3288d66edb468dac57ad5.jpg

Yes that is just a cafe with a few military items.

Aviation museum is in the airport.

IMG_2421.jpeg

IMG_2422.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Did you just turn up and go in, or did you have to make special arrangements to visit like the guy who wrote the article I linked to? I'm also a fan of old military stuff, and I'd like to visit but it's a long way to go just to be turned away at the gate.

I went with my school's activity director, who is also the daughter of a military officer.  I don't think I would have been allowed in on my own.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is a bit off topic. But the National Aviation Museum of the Thai Air Force is just north of Don Muang Airport and is open to the public, free as well. I have enjoyed it many times. When the kids were little and still lived here they loved it.

Perhaps if its open the Navy would be the same. 

https://www.museumthcailand.com/en/museum/National-Aviation-Museum-of-The-Royal-Thai-AirForce

Edited by marin
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, marin said:

This is a bit off topic. But the National Aviation Museum of the Thai Air Force is just north of Don Muang Airport and is open to the public, free as well. I have enjoyed it many times. When the kids were little and still lived here they loved it.

Perhaps if its open the Navy would be the same. 

https://www.museumthcailand.com/en/museum/National-Aviation-Museum-of-The-Royal-Thai-AirForce

Marin ,thankyou for your Service , I had a friend in the Navy Seals years ago

As a matter of interest what is the Airforce special seals called ?

Is that SAS ?

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Marin ,thankyou for your Service , I had a friend in the Navy Seals years ago

As a matter of interest what is the Airforce special seals called ?

Is that SAS ?

CRABS