Did you know this about 7-Eleven (Thailand)?

7 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

well stocked, and the staff must be the best trained in Thailand.

They often dont have bread and quite a few other things in stock I want, as for well trained..............yes in chatting to each other whilst serving you

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Chivas said:

...and the largest one is (apprently) in Pattaya on South Pattaya Rd shaped like a Cruiser from the outside

Caveat lol only what someone on a Ban Chang beer crawl confidently announced  as we went past it last month !

In Jomtien 2nd rd there are two ultra large ones directly next to each other like 10 meters and one across the road. ~ Soi 7

14 hours ago, george said:

IMG_3947.jpeg

As of April 2024, Thailand has 14,545 7-Eleven outlets, which is an increase from the previous year.

7-Eleven is the first convenience store chain in Thailand, opening its first store on June 1, 1989 on Patpong Road in Bangkok.

7-Eleven has the highest number of convenience stores in Thailand, operated by CP All Plc.

45% of the chain is company-owned, and 55% is franchised.

— ASEANNOW 2024-04-16

Thank you. I was looking for these important information long time already🙏

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Smokin Joe said:

I saw it long before I found out it is the largest in the world. I was kind of surprised, but then again it is just a a mini-mart. Sort of like being the world's tallest midget, or fattest Anorexic.

I think the upper dining area's m² floor space gives it the extra that sets the record.   Other than that and exterior design, just another large 7-11.   Pretty cool though.  Only Japan has more 7-11s.

Having a place to sit & munch/sip in AC is a plus, as others simply have a small counter/bar & couple stools, if that.   While O&A (out & about), we just return to the comfort of the AC'd car. while it's charging, as we hit PTT w/ 7-11 quite often in our journeys.  If food court or other vendors aren't looking good ... there's always 7-11, and never disappointed :coffee1:

13 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Thai 7-Elevens are fantastic. The product lines keep expanding and you can get some seriously nice stuff in there these days.

The stores are all clean, well stocked, and the staff must be the best trained in Thailand. Viva la 7!!

They have come such a long way in the last 15 years or so. My only gripe is the lack of payment options: no debit cards, no banking app QR scan payments; 7-Elevens are the only reason I carry cash these days and it is a bit annoying.

Only thing I really miss, thinking of US 7-11s is the clean public bathrooms!

8 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Seems to sell... 

Ultra-processed foods. 

Having high sugar, fat, and sodium content. 

I will stick with real Thai food. 

having no sugar or msg

32 minutes ago, Jenkins9039 said:

15 min cities 😉

Yep ... only pedal bike ride away, (2.9 kms) walking would be about 30 mins.  Scooter, 5 mins, as no cross streets or traffic lights.

Last rental, before house built, and only 200 m away 

I noticed last week, they stopped stocking Beer Lao Dark, since I moved.  :cheesy:

As was going to have one with my krapao munch next door, and none in the cold case, or a spot for them.

17 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I wonder what proportion of youngsters ( predominantly girls) start their working careers in 7/11?

Me too. Have you ever wondered why these girls never seem to last more than a couple of months at seven? No sooner than you have established friendly relations - poof! - and they are gone.

2 hours ago, steve187 said:

having no sugar or msg

A lot of people have this illusion. Will correctly classify 7/11 as a ultra-processed junk takeaway, but then think the old sweet auntie at the top of road or street cart is cooking real thai food, healthy and fresh, the MSG, sugar, sauces (with both the former) and cooked lovingly in cheap palm oil (sometimes even new) 💪  in a pan that you can tell was once coated in non-stick but no more, hopefully it's all pealed off by now. Eat fresh non of that microwave gunk 😆
I eat it occassionally but under no illusion..

Edited by eyeman

There are 4 7-11s in Ban Dung. The one to the north of the town has the best looking birds.

Don't go into the one near the bus station as he wanted my passport to pay a leccy bill.

17 hours ago, Denim said:

sitting outside some branch

The 7/11 near my house project 2 years ago remodeled to 2x size, adding a 15 seat eating window area inside. So eat in cool ac.

• Like 1

One annoying thing are the 7's that do not sell alcohol due to "apparently " being "close to a school or Wat"

I have 3, 7's nearby me but 2 can't sell alcohol (one used to but was stopped)

Crazy!

I don't know of any schools (including primary schools or Wats) anywhere near these shops! And I ride around the general area a lot.

It's no big deal (two mom and pop shops in same locations do!) But must be a real Revenue loser for those 7's who can't

• Like 1

5 hours ago, orchidfan said:

One annoying thing are the 7's that do not sell alcohol due to "apparently " being "close to a school or Wat"

I have 3, 7's nearby me but 2 can't sell alcohol (one used to but was stopped)

Crazy!

I don't know of any schools (including primary schools or Wats) anywhere near these shops! And I ride around the general area a lot.

It's no big deal (two mom and pop shops in same locations do!) But must be a real Revenue loser for those 7's who can't

If on a main road they won't sell alcohol either.  Maybe the ones near you are franchises, owned by Muslims.

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If on a main road they won't sell alcohol either.  Maybe the ones near you are franchises, owned by Muslims.

Actually my nearest on is on the main road at a petrol station, that doesn't serve alcohol, the one round the corner near the mosque does sell alcohol.

5 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Actually my nearest on is on the main road at a petrol station, that doesn't serve alcohol, the one round the corner near the mosque does sell alcohol.

Thats one the things I like about Thailand - the fact that in most areas (outside of the South) the Muslims have are integrated and they don't impose their beliefs on everyone in the immediate vicinity and community within which they reside....   

Booze can still be bought in shops in area's of a higher muslim populations (also the mosques are not disturbingly loud).

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats one the things I like about Thailand - the fact that in most areas (outside of the South) the Muslims have are integrated and they don't impose their beliefs on everyone in the immediate vicinity and community within which they reside....   

Booze can still be bought in shops in area's of a higher muslim populations (also the mosques are not disturbingly loud).

Curious perspective.

Given that in the 3 southern provinces Muslims make up over 80% of the population, then who's the one not integrating?

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I understand that the law says that no shops inside petrol station forecourts may sell alcohol!  

PS; Legally!

Edited by scottiejohn
PS's added

33 minutes ago, Stocky said:
42 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Curious perspective.

Given that in the 3 southern provinces Muslims make up over 80% of the population, then who's the one not integrating?

In utilising multisyllabic words one would have assumed you have a better reading comprehension than exhibited....  :neus:

Edited by richard_smith237

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

In utilising multisyllabic words one would have assumed you have a better reading comprehension than exhibited....  :neus:

By saying "outside of the South" there was an implication that those in the south haven't integrated and are seeking to impose their beliefs on everyone, glad you made the clarification.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, steve187 said:

having no sugar or msg

I enjoy MSG, if not in huge amounts.

Sugar is REQUIRED for great cooking of Thai food, and for Chinese food.

If no sugar, then NG.

A small amount of sugar, during cooking, is not harmful to most semi-healthy adults.

But, the amount of sugar in ultra-processed manufactured food, such as that sold at convenience stores, especially the one originating from TEXAS....is too much.

Texans just CANNOT say no to Double/Triple portions of ANYTHING.

No Wonder 7-Eleven has done so well in Asia.

By the way, Taiwan has about 5000 SEVEN stores with a population of around 20 million.  So, maybe, Taiwan has more stores, compared to Thailand based on population.

Also, 7-11s were introduced in Taiwan in 1979, which is also the year just after the USA broke formal relations with Taiwan, and also the year I first set foot on that stinking island.  (Back then, Taiwan was a super NICE island.  Now, though, it is a stinking island, just FYI.)

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

That is mostly true, except the 7-11's at the islands.

slightly higher at swampy airport in the basement level but im so jonesin for a fuji tea i'll pay the few extra baht....gave up on the islands after 1st trip..was enough for me!

• Confused 1