Did you know this about 7-Eleven (Thailand)?

I have at least 6 of them in 5min walking distance.

But I hear from my gf that up country the nearest 7-11 is 20km from her village.

I wonder about the density of them in Thailand. What is the worst case for anybody about the distance to the next 7-11? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have at least 6 of them in 5min walking distance.

But I hear from my gf that up country the nearest 7-11 is 20km from her village.

I wonder about the density of them in Thailand. What is the worst case for anybody about the distance to the next 7-11? 

30 kilos

...and the largest one is (apprently) in Pattaya on South Pattaya Rd shaped like a Cruiser from the outside

Caveat lol only what someone on a Ban Chang beer crawl confidently announced  as we went past it last month !

Edited by Chivas
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

The good thing about here is the prices are equal or sometimes lower then large markets.  Opposed to other countries like the U.S. where they charge double to triple market prices.  The philosophy there is you pay a premium for the " convenience".

Yes, exactly!

I think the difference is that CP sees the 7-11 stores as their main distribution network and not a "convenience" for the busy or lazy.

• Like 1

Statista: "As of January 2020, there were over 70,200 7-Eleven convenience stores in operation around the world. 20,988 of these stores were located in Japan, making it the country with the most 7-Eleven stores globally. ..."

Global Data says as of FY 2022:
21,327 Japan
13,562 U.S.
13,134 Thailand
11,173 South Korea
10,359 China
8,986 other

https://www.globaldata.com/data-insights/retail-and-wholesale/number-of-seven-i-stores-globally/

4 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

My only gripe is the lack of payment options: no debit cards, no banking app QR scan payments; 7-Elevens are the only reason I carry cash these days and it is a bit annoying.

Now that is interesting.  I have 100% for sure used Google Pay on my phone to pay in 7, using tap to pay.  And that is using a UK debit card payment.  But I recently tried to pay with my Kasikorn Debit card and couldn't but I was not able to understand what she tried to tell me was wrong.  So what cards do they take, only credit cards?  Did they previously not realise I was paying with a debit card? It's a bit bizarre for the most popular shop in the country.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Upnotover said:

Well the birth rate is about 675,000/year.  Assuming that the average number of staff in the shops is 10 and they stay on average 3 years then that could be 145,000 staff churning at 48,000/year, that would be 7%. 

I would imagine that the average number of staff per shop, allowing for variations in size, 3 shifts, days off etc is probably nearer 20 to 25. That probably ups your number to 15% -maybe higher in urban areas?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Smokin Joe said:

Not just the largest in Thailand, it's the largest 7-11 in the world. 

Googled it after you wrote that and you are absolutely right

I'm startled to say the least. I must go in there it didnt look huge from the outside but I was more looking at the "cruiser" shape of it

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Thai 7-Elevens are fantastic. The product lines keep expanding and you can get some seriously nice stuff in there these days.

The stores are all clean, well stocked, and the staff must be the best trained in Thailand. Viva la 7!!

They have come such a long way in the last 15 years or so. My only gripe is the lack of payment options: no debit cards, no banking app QR scan payments; 7-Elevens are the only reason I carry cash these days and it is a bit annoying.

7-Eleven Thailand don't accept debit cards as their sister company True Money want us to use the True Money app, which works very well as soon you manage to get approved as a foreigner.

• Thanks 1

yes i did.

i was in my local 7/11 recently and overheard a gen Zer scolding another genZer for buying Nestle branded water; don't support the man was his refrain, as he ignorantly handed over his cash to the 7/11 employee... 🙄

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

yes i did.

i was in my local 7/11 recently and overheard a gen Zer scolding another genZer for buying Nestle branded water; don't support the man was his refrain, as he ignorantly handed over his cash to the 7/11 employee... 🙄

A very young looking Gen-X'er perhaps ????

GenZ (someone born between 1997-2012) are very late to that 'boycott Nestle' party following the unethical promotion of baby formula in developing nations in lieu of mothers relying on breast milk to feed their children in the early 70's... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1