AIR Con Saga

Planning on switching out 12,000 BTU to 18,000 BTU   there is 30 amp box dedicated to the 12,000 BTU.  My Thai friend wants to install the old 12,000 BTU in the back of the rental    I said I don't think you have enough electric power   

"Listen to me darling we have plenty (electricity )  I know   . 14 M's           WTH is a M?    TIA

25 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

Planning on switching out 12,000 BTU to 18,000 BTU   there is 30 amp box dedicated to the 12,000 BTU.  My Thai friend wants to install the old 12,000 BTU in the back of the rental    I said I don't think you have enough electric power   

"Listen to me darling we have plenty (electricity )  I know   . 14 M's           WTH is a M?    TIA

Probbaly amps, best to look at your meter to be sure

I just did this very same thing and they had to run a new line directly to the breaker box and abandon the old switch on the wall which was routed to a nearby outlet. HomePro said this was there policy which is good enough for me.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

I just did this very same thing and they had to run a new line directly to the breaker box and abandon the old switch on the wall which was routed to a nearby outlet. HomePro said this was there policy which is good enough for me.

May I ask how much they charged to do it?  The present AC is hardwired into a 30 amp box   so the new one can wired into that but the old one in the back will need a new breaker and i don't know if she has enough power.

Edited by charleskerins

I was told as a rule of thumb, that a conventional, old style 18000 BTU a/c takes 1800 watts when running, which is about 8.2 AMPS.

It can take double that to start up, so 16.5 amps maximum.. Inverter models do not need the high current to start up. 

Your 30 amp breaker should be plenty. The breaker is there to protect the wiring, not the a/c.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, charleskerins said:

May I ask how much they charged to do it?  The present AC is hardwired into a 30 amp box   so the new one can wired into that but the old one in the back will need a new breaker and i don't know if she has enough power.

1300 from HomePro in Chiang Mai but there was a cost for an extra stand also since we raised it off the ground compared to the old machine.

19 hours ago, KannikaP said:

It can take double that to start up, so 16.5 amps maximum..

Actually, older style compressors, motors what have you, can take 4 to 6 times full load at startup.

This is an instantaneous value BUT if the motor doesn't have access to enough current from the supply, (more often than not due to cabling being too small and creating large voltage drop) they will sit on the start winding, never get going properly, and burn out.

• Like 1