Thai tourism sector proposes 300-baht tax to counter over-tourism

webfact

If you pray for rain, then you must deal with the mud. Frankly, there is little charm or beauty left in Phuket to experience. The traffic is a nightmare, the beaches are a mass tourism event operated by various invested factions. Its rapidly becoming a crowded concrete jungle with few attractions. Its a magnet for the rough and ready.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, TheFatOne said:

Obviously you're missing the point.

Nevermind. Might be too complicated for you.

Some people are just meant to be screwed.

Far too complicated.   lol!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Surawat called for a trial phase of tourism tax collection through a mobile application or kiosks, mirroring the approach taken by many countries that collect taxes from tourists through flight tickets or hotel stays.

does Thai Airways not include Tax in their prices?

A lot of those people visiting the so called Tourist Areas are on Group Tours, how about the Tours increase their fees, also start charging the Chinese Tourists, that the Government favours, the same prices as the European/American/other tourists.

Another idea is like in Europe the Visitors Tax you pay in many areas (Kurtaxe).

Edited by beano2274
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Further, how would the spending of the money be managed to ensure it doesn't end up in corruption activities?

I think the intention is to manage the money to ensure it does end up in where you and I don't think it should be. To me, it is just them seeing an increase in tourists, and thinking how to squeeze more money from them, with nary a thought on how to use those funds to 'improve' tourism and infrastructure or anything beneficial, for that matter.

• Thumbs Up 2

First it's we need 50m tourist a year, and now it's complaints about over tourism... talking out of both sides of their mouths. A 300 baht per person tax is not intended to address over tourism, nor will it. Thailand couldn't care less about over tourism. And the idea of promoting tourism in secondary cities just goes to show they have no idea that tourist do and expect from a trip to Thailand... But it ain't Khon Kaen 😂

• Like 1

Phuket needs quality tourism not the riff raff that have invaded the Island. 

Phuket desperately needs desalination plant also 2 Sewage treatment plants.

This will alleviate 100% of the issues there.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

It looks like someone at FETTA or TCT has been looking at the news in Europe, seeing what's going on in Spain/the Canaries and thought we'll have a bit of that?  Goes totally against what TAT is continually spouting though! Flip-flop!

• Agree 1

Just now, outsider said:

I think the intention is to manage the money to ensure it does end up in where you and I don't think it should be. To me, it is just them seeing an increase in tourists, and thinking how to squeeze more money from them, with nary a thought on how to use those funds to 'improve' tourism and infrastructure or anything beneficial, for that matter.

That's right. No way even 2% (6 baht) of such a 300-baht fee would be used for "improvements"...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

During peak season, these popular destinations suffer from traffic congestion and water shortages, with international airports running out of slots for airlines

Never heard anything so daft.  Tax cars higher, for roads, water and airports improve your infrastructure and get into the 21st century.  I have been to a couple of these resorts recently and they definitely don't appear to be over-touristed, the hotel prices would be increasing and they are not with plenty of availability, a scheme to line the coffers in my opinion or a bureaucrat to justify their position.

9 minutes ago, khunpin said:

300?

Wow. That will hurt the tourists. 555

Consider to lower it to maybe 27.8 or a max of 32.4 Baht. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Yep, farangy's planning a long and expensive trip to Thailand and 300 bht will put them off, I don't think so......🤭

• Confused 3
  • Sad 4

3 minutes ago, Nickcage49 said:

"Over tourism"? Are these people kidding?

One minute they're crying because they don't get enough tourists and giving freebies to countries like India and China and the next minute they're trying to do things to slow tourism down.

Make a decision guys!

Seems, they are believing their own propaganda and fantasy numbers... "We want 80 million tourists", and each one should pay 300 (or why not 3,000?) baht.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Further, how would the spending of the money be managed to ensure it doesn't end up in corruption activities?

How could you ever think such a thing? 

• Haha 1

Just now, Scouse123 said:

I agree with you and plenty on here missing the point with comments of " it's only 300 baht"

If one has been here long or often enough, one will know that Thai greed knows no limits. If successful, those 300-baht fees would quickly be doubled and tripled...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, quake said:

You missed the point. :coffee1:

But it is you, so no big deal, Transman.

So you would cancel your LOS holiday over 6 quid, Nige.....?  🤔

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1