How can a 'Newbie' receive cash if no bank account first three months in Philippines

I'm planning on moving to Iloilo in July from the UK.  I understand it will take a minimum of 3 months before I can get a bank account.   I don't have a credit card and my UK bank does not send money to Philippines.Am  I 'up a creek, without a paddle' or is there a way. other than the Wise Debit Card, and I don't want to change my bank.

Thank you

When you say your UK bank doesn't send money to PI, I am assuming you mean wiring.  Foreign ATM should still work, no?

That said, I would recommend having as many ways of getting money as possible so it might be worth getting a credit card before you come and also keeping cash.

One of the best options for Americans is the Schwab card as they rebate all foreign ATM fees.  Seems like I recall brits had a similar card but I don't recall the name of it.  You don't want to change banks but it might be worth having a second bank to keep 'transfer money' in.  That's what I do.  Just EFT money from my main bank to Schwab and send enough for normal living expenses.

1 hour ago, Upnotover said:

Western Union, that'll work.

I agree it will work but their fees are horrendous. 

I'd say get a Wise card although OP doesn't want one.  They are that good. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Agree Wise card looks good and they are swamping me currently to buy a card.   Problem with them, if I understand correctly, it's meant for shopping.  I want to find a way to get my monthly pensions to Philippines.

7 minutes ago, Southsealad said:

Agree Wise card looks good and they are swamping me currently to buy a card.   Problem with them, if I understand correctly, it's meant for shopping.  I want to find a way to get my monthly pensions to Philippines.

I get my pension into a NZ bank and have setup an automated payment to transfer some of that to my Wise Debit card. 

All I use in Thailand is the Wise card, either for payment of goods or ATM for cash. 

It works well for me. 

On 5/1/2024 at 1:12 PM, Korat Kiwi said:

I get my pension into a NZ bank and have setup an automated payment to transfer some of that to my Wise Debit card. 

All I use in Thailand is the Wise card, either for payment of goods or ATM for cash. 

It works well for me. 

Hi, I note you say you are in Thailand.   Wise have told me that the card is not presently available in Thailand.   Could be they mean you can't apply for one if you are living in Thailand or do they mean you can't use it in Thailand.   ?????

On 4/30/2024 at 8:39 PM, Southsealad said:

I'm planning on moving to Iloilo in July from the UK.  I understand it will take a minimum of 3 months before I can get a bank account.   I don't have a credit card and my UK bank does not send money to Philippines.Am  I 'up a creek, without a paddle' or is there a way. other than the Wise Debit Card, and I don't want to change my bank.

Thank you

If you can't figure how to have money, what are your chances of surviving in PI?

• Haha 1

On 5/1/2024 at 12:50 PM, Korat Kiwi said:

They used to be an expensive option but now much less so, from the Wise website.....

image.png.4b8f4d78eb4b5a3fd75e96af1545932d.png

20 hours ago, Southsealad said:

Hi, I note you say you are in Thailand.   Wise have told me that the card is not presently available in Thailand.   Could be they mean you can't apply for one if you are living in Thailand or do they mean you can't use it in Thailand.   ?????

They work fine in Thailand, and in the Philippines.  Just get one whilst you are in the UK.  It's very likely to come in handy.

On 5/1/2024 at 8:02 AM, Southsealad said:

What do you mean by 'it's for shopping'? It's a debit card and can be used like a debit card. Also, there isn't only Wise, there are literally 100s of Online Banks similar to Wise. All are super convenient and exactly what you are looking for.

Posted (edited)

Try sign up for a fully verified GCash account.  It's very similar to a real bank account but easier to get. That will allow you to transfer money into it from abroad like you would a regular Philippines bank account.  You can then get a card to take money out of ATMs or just pay for things directly using your smartphone.  I believe there are ways around some of the info they might ask for like local address and gov't ID.  Just need to be a little creative.  I've heard mixed things about people using their passport as the gov't id so not sure if that still works or if only the ACR card # works now.  You need a Philippines smartphone # to sign up so that means you pretty much need to be in the country before getting it.

https://help.gcash.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017722393-Get-Fully-Verified

Edited by shdmn

Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 11:02 PM, Southsealad said:

Lots of people use Wise for that, but mostly by transferring it into their local bank account.  That avoids the fees you have to pay when using their ATM card to get cash.

Edited by shdmn

On 5/7/2024 at 6:32 AM, shdmn said:

Lots of people use Wise for that, but mostly by transferring it into their local bank account.  That avoids the fees you have to pay when using their ATM card to get cash.

The problem is a newbie can not have a local bank account.  And Wise card is higher percentage than many other cards when used for cash in ATM.  Most newbies will use ATM card for at least a few months but try to have low fee/and return of ATM charge type if they can.  As said above Wise card is high percentage fee to obtain cash at ATM.  But one size does not fit all - some people will not be that concerned about the extra 3 or 4 percent costs (especially if for only a limited time),

On 5/3/2024 at 2:09 PM, Southsealad said:

Could be they mean you can't apply for one if you are living in Thailand

Correct they are not licensed to issue cards in Thailand, you can get one in your home country provided you've an address to send it to.

On 5/11/2024 at 6:47 PM, lopburi3 said:

The problem is a newbie can not have a local bank account.  And Wise card is higher percentage than many other cards when used for cash in ATM.  Most newbies will use ATM card for at least a few months but try to have low fee/and return of ATM charge type if they can.  As said above Wise card is high percentage fee to obtain cash at ATM.  But one size does not fit all - some people will not be that concerned about the extra 3 or 4 percent costs (especially if for only a limited time),

Wise just increased their fees for exchanging money for most westerners.  Not sure if their ATM fees went up.

Edited by shdmn

6 hours ago, shdmn said:

Wise just increased their fees for exchanging money for most westerners.  Not sure if their ATM fees went up.

Yes I too received an email from Wise saying fees are increasing in some cases doubling! 

Seems to be occurring alot in the financial sector.