British Tourist Warned Over Criticism of Thailand Online

webfact

11 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Is Britain perfect, no it has lots of issues, more issues than Thailand. 

Why doesn't this clown go back to Britain and fix things there or better still go to Australia it's going downhill quickly. 

I like Thailand and all its quirks and features that why I choose to live here. 

You say positive outcomes, there's nothing negative about Thailand, leave it alone. 

Thailand has made too many changes over the many years I've been living here, making changes, giving in to these moaners. 

"Thailand has made too many changes over the many years I've been living here, making changes, giving in to these moaners."

No, you got it wrong - I have been living here for nearly 20 years and it's the changes that have been made that has given rise to the "moaners".

As I have said before, nowhere is perfect, and I am happy living here as opposed to the UK, but that doesn't mean that there is nothing about Thailand that needs changing! (IMHO!)  

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Speaking hypothetically, criticism is one thing. It's another when, say, people make public admissions of bribery and sexual exploitation. 

Do you mean "admissions" or "allegations"?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Taboo2 said:

I am from San Francisco, and you should know that nothing will happen if you tell them that they destroyed a once beautiful city.  What is going on in America is the reason I am here and appreciate so much the safety, food, beauty and cost of living here.  So, I follow the rules, and guess what, no cop bothers me, no officials visit me, no one beats me up.  I am enjoying my retirement.  I am not a spoiled, entitled, crybaby on Youtube.

Well, guess what? I also follow the rules here in Thailand, and no one has ever bothered me here either. I am also enjoying my retirement in Thailand, and I have nothing but good things to say about this country. However, that does not mean I am going to sit quietly and let the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency get away with violating my Fourth and Fourteenth Amendment rights. Hence, I am going to hold MY government officials in the USA accountable for their actions by taking legal action against them. Regarding being a spoiled crybaby on YouTube, no one accused you of being one, and even if you are, it is no concern of mine.

22 minutes ago, Felton Jarvis said:

Normally, among the first things you learn here is that there is no freedom of speech and also that the truth is no defense in cases of "defamation".

Sounds like Western Europe!

• Confused 2

12 hours ago, mfd101 said:

For all too many Thais the outside world is hermetically sealed off.

Which explains all the mask wearing still going on in Thailand while the rest of the world has moved in. Thailand exists within a Covid bubble and foreigners coming here are bewildered by it. 

They're still making mask announcements at airports! They even word them in such a way as to imply they're mandatory (of course they're not). I don't understand the purpose, at this point, 90% of airport users and 60% of airport employees no longer wear masks.

The whole thing is unfriendly and gives authoritarian vibes in a country that's supposed to be carefree, happy go lucky and tourist friendly.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, LadyJ1 said:

I have watched most of his videos right from the beginning.

He's not very emotionally stable but I appreciate his enthusiasm for his project. It seems within days of arriving in Pai he picked fights with the community, called everyone libtards and they eventually took him down. Having a competing business is a way to get in trouble too. It was all very entertaining.

Bottom line is Pai is a retarded place to live. The expats totally dominate the culture and even the Thai people there are questionable. They've ruined a lovely valley sadly.

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Funkymover said:

the chinese are in control now,, no more free speech in thailand 

Nothing to do with the Chinese. Thailand never had freedom of speech to begin with.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, NorthernRyland said:

He's not very emotionally stable but I appreciate his enthusiasm for his project. It seems within days of arriving in Pai he picked fights with the community, called everyone libtards and they eventually took him down. Having a competing business is a way to get in trouble too. It was all very entertaining.

Bottom line is Pai is a retarded place to live. The expats totally dominate the culture and even the Thai people there are questionable. They've ruined a lovely valley sadly.

Pai expats are a bunch of libtards. They've definitely ruined the place, totally agree with you there.

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

57 minutes ago, sambum said:

As I have said before, nowhere is perfect, and I am happy living here as opposed to the UK, but that doesn't mean that there is nothing about Thailand that needs changing! (IMHO!)  

Of course even Thai people agree. Does the "go home" crowd understand Thai people aren't 100% happy with every aspect of their country too?

IMO 99% of the things expats complain about totally reasonable and things all civilized countries are doing anyways. Moreover we're complaining about our countries also and it goes both ways.  If you don't like complaining why be here posting in the first place?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

Pai expats are a bunch of libtards. They've definitely ruined the place, totally agree with you there.

My only criticism of Thomas is that he moved into the only place in Thailand that is totally dominated by libtards. Literally the worst place you could be if those people bother you. If you want to see "over tourism" Pai is great example. Doesn't feel like Thailand even.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Hugh Jarse said:

Why? what’s wrong with constructive criticism. Are you from The Trump Centre for promoting Democracy?

If you don't get the joke then you are either leftwing or a republican.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Funkymover said:

the chinese are in control now,, no more free speech in thailand 

I was in Tesco Lotus today, and went to get card in order to get a meal.

There was a sign saying that there would be a 10 baht deposit paid which would be refunded upon the return of the card. The sign was in English, Thai, Russian and Chinese. Nuff said?

38 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Why warn? just deport. If someone doesn't like Thailand then just leave.

"If someone doesn't like Thailand then just leave"

Oh, what a comprehensive "Problem solved" statement. Never heard that suggestion before! 🤪

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

My only criticism of Thomas is that he moved into the only place in Thailand that is totally dominated by libtards. Literally the worst place you could be if those people bother you. If you want to see "over tourism" Pai is great example. Doesn't feel like Thailand even.

Do you know what he said? What criticisms did he make that ruffled the feathers of the authorities?

4 hours ago, witsawakorn said:

I wonder if he said something about the family that we don’t talk about? Now that would be silly

That I wonder about too. That's one topic not to discuss publicly. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, LadyJ1 said:

I have watched most of his videos right from the beginning.

Slagged a nurse off at the hospital when he was having treatment for his foot.
Filmed and totally disrespected a man wearing a face mask on a plane - was awful to watch!
Criticised many viewers of his YouTube channel accusing them of being vaccinated and plebs.
Very condescending at times towards some Thai people/the country and those who are working for him at the Teak House.

On a tourist visa but has openly said many times he is running a business at the Teak House/selling weed etc.
The list goes on and on....

Now and again he apologises, cries even, says he is being authentic.

That maybe, but he thinks he is the big I am in Thailand, an expat on a tourist visa!
A few have tried to give him decent advice (me included) but he thinks he knows best, he doesn't! And still doesn't with his current videos.

Soon it will be Tuk Tuk for one me thinks!

He's right about laughing about masked zombies. It's time to move on. That being said, you don't go around filming said zombies and publicly humiliating them like that. There's a better way of getting your point across.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

Which explains all the mask wearing still going on in Thailand while the rest of the world has moved in. Thailand exists within a Covid bubble and foreigners coming here are bewildered by it. 

They're still making mask announcements at airports! They even word them in such a way as to imply they're mandatory (of course they're not). I don't understand the purpose, at this point, 90% of airport users and 60% of airport employees no longer wear masks.

The whole thing is unfriendly and gives authoritarian vibes in a country that's supposed to be carefree, happy go lucky and tourist friendly.

The "mandate" from memory came from Anutin, because there had been an outbreak of a new strain at a prison, he reckoned it must have been brought in by a "farang"!  😅 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, rwill said:

Thailand.  Land of the free! 

Unless it is about telling the truth.

Free of what? I think that is a misnomer because Thailand has never been free...except from European colonization although even that is debatable because the Dutch and the Portuguese certainly set up their own communities and trading colonies in various parts of Thailand a few hundred years ago though granted this isn't quite the same thing as taking the entire country in the name of a colonial empire.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Of course even Thai people agree. Does the "go home" crowd understand Thai people aren't 100% happy with every aspect of their country too?

IMO 99% of the things expats complain about totally reasonable and things all civilized countries are doing anyways. Moreover we're complaining about our countries also and it goes both ways.  If you don't like complaining why be here posting in the first place?

Does the "go home" crowd understand Thai people aren't 100% happy with every aspect of their country too?"

No, I'm sure they don't! I think that they are of the type that are comfortably well off, so they are entirely happy here, and the exorbitant price of a bottle of decent wine bothers them not a jot!

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, sambum said:

The "mandate" from memory came from Anutin, because there had been an outbreak of a new strain at a prison, he reckoned it must have been brought in by a "farang"!  😅 

However, the mask announcements at airports seems to be a continuous thing ongoing since March 2020.

While I didn't travel by air during Covid, when I first started visiting the airport in late June 2022 just after the mask mandate was scrapped, sending off some friends, there were announcements. Then in August when I flew out they were still being made (although I barely noticed them). Then in September/October 2022 (Swiss airlines was actually handing out masks at the end of the flight in October 2022 claiming they were mandatory in the terminal). I told the cabin crew that was not the case. Other airlines weren't doing this or making such announcements.

However, the mask announcements continued throughout 2023, in April, September and December as well as February 2024. 

No other country in the world is making announcements for something that isn't mandatory anymore.

Something very strange going on in Thailand.

10 minutes ago, sambum said:

Does the "go home" crowd understand

Yeah, these people are crazy. They think it should be 'their' Thailand and it gets worse once young people want to move, the gatekeeping is insane.

"Son, you should first work 60 years in a miserable job like me so you pay taxes for my pensions and then you can enjoy other countries"

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

No idea what Thomas has been saying however, if he is booted out, he can say it again, in spades, from outside Thailand. It will be interesting to see how this develops.

I agree.

If I were him, I'd be so deeply offended just by being told to stop criticizing the country and not being allowed to speak my mind, I'd immediately leave the country before things get out of hand. I would instantly know, this isn't the place for me.

Of course, I know the country very well and wouldn't be so stupid as to do what he did. I wouldn't even run a YouTube channel on a tourist visa to praise the country as YouTubing without a work permit is a bit of a grey area even if you're a 2 week tourist. No chance of me publicly criticizing a country, especially one I'm trying to establish myself in. Everything that could have gone wrong, has gone wrong in his case.

I don't understand why so many farang seem to screw things up and then end up prostrating themselves in a vain attempt to try and continue living in the country, especially people who really don't have any strong connections with the country or need to be here.

I don't know anything about him, but living in Pai I can draw a few conclusions: 1) he can't speak Thai 2) he's newly arrived 3) due to 1 & 2, he really has no connections to the country, no wife, no children, no local friends as he hasn't been here long enough so he really has no reason to continue living here, especially when the authorities have basically given him an ultimatum. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1