British Tourist Warned Over Criticism of Thailand Online

webfact

On 5/2/2024 at 9:43 AM, IvorBiggun2 said:

'Teak door' forum seems to get away with it and have been doing so for many a year.

The founder died of cancer many years ago, and one of the main long-term posters, Thailand critics and protagonists is now a popular YouTuber!

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Probably the worst thing is the weather, it rains every day in Glasgow, and it rains most days everywhere else. Freezing cold rain that blows in from the side.

So you're trapped at home or at work nearly all the time.

Never really experienced 'hard financial times' as I was always paid more than I could spend.

Until the butler incident 

29 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

One of my uncles lives there for some of the year. I'd like some more Mexican food in my life too.

If you ever get a chance, mid - September to start November is a great time to visit, with the Independence Day celebrations, The Procession of the Virgin Mary ( incredible ) Hallow'een, and Day of the Dead including the Day of the Dead ball and parade. Add to that day trips to Tequila ( bar girl heaven ) and several other great locations, it's well worth a visit. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ujayujay said:

Note! In Thailand there is no freedom of speech!

There are topics in Thailand people are much freer to say and write about than back in the US, where they might generate doxxing, loss of employment, lawsuits. OTOH there certainly is one topic you cannot discuss in Thailand and, as the subject of this topic might find out soon, there are defamation laws that obviously limit your public statements.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, witsawakorn said:

If you think honest criticism isn’t possible in Thailand how about all the young Thais who were locked up during covid for peacefully protesting against the military government during covid?

You just proved the point that there is much more than just one thing you can't talk about in Thailand and most other places..."free speech"

is rapidly fading into oblivion..accused of all the ism's, hate speak 

mis,dis and mall information, (Putin) propaganda !!

2 minutes ago, johng said:

You just proved the point that there is much more than just one thing you can't talk about in Thailand and most other places..."free speech"

is rapidly fading into oblivion..accused of all the ism's, hate speak 

mis,dis and mall information, (Putin) propaganda !!

Agreed but that was under a military government and they were arrested under laws that are very specific to Thailand ( lese majeste). Protesters who didn’t breach LM laws were left alone because they got around the Covid regulations by traveling in cars with less than 5 passengers.I don’t understand why people are defending a guy who is doing business here on a tourist visa. The OP is actually misleading by suggestion that he might be charged for criticizing the country when his real crimes were related to breach of his visa conditions which he incriminated himself for.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, witsawakorn said:

I don’t understand why people are defending him.

The only thing really deplorable was harass that poor guy on the airline for wearing a mask. Regardless of what you think about COVID that was hard to watch. I didn't know about the scamming thing until now. His channel was entraining and his crusade against the libtards and women in Pai was good fun to watch. But he's clearly got emotional problems and should have kept his antics to himself. 

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The Scots are a nation of alcoholics as you well know. Not that I blame them, nothing else to do in that awful place.

Glasgow is so depressing you canee blame them🙂

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The founder died of cancer many years ago, and one of the main long-term posters, Thailand critics and protagonists is now a popular YouTuber!

which one is that? there are only two posters on there worth reading

On 5/2/2024 at 11:51 AM, Aussie999 said:

If expell, or even warned, he has grounds to raise concerns in the UN, Thailand has an obligation, being a signatory. 

Considering all the cowards sitting all over the UN or a majority of scapegoats of the US, or even those in the US just thanks to their cronies in politics back home, very doubtful the UN would do anything. In today's world the citizen's democratic defense is via Social Media and no place else.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, theblether said:

Your comment is accurate in every way. My first stint as an expat was in 1970. Throughout my multiple expat stints I've encountered this type. They justify their decision to move by demonising their homeland. 

As for CM. It will be a cold day in he'll when I subject myself voluntarily to another smoky season. I love the place, my village life is exceptional, but like many CM based people - March arrives, we leave. 

I agree. I have a nice house here in the countryside, a big car and a comfortable lifestyle. No way could I afford the same in the UK the equivalent house in a countryside location would probably cost me nearly a million pounds, running the car would cost a fortune and I would have nothing like the lifestyle I have here. I would probably end up in a 'social housing' shoebox eking out my pension and waiting to die. 

20 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

Well actually, it could be bundled in with many other breaches of freedom of speech. 

If he dislikes it so much, he should be happy if they send him home.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, theblether said:

I'm not daft. I can see why people settle in Thailand. The demented aspect is growling over their shoulder for years thereafter about their home country. To me it shows a fundamental weakness and unhappiness, akin to the guys still going about ancient divorces. Grow up. 

Tonight, no doubt to the amusement of some Brits, I'll take my mother to the bingo and will watch a movie with my dad. Tomorrow, grandkids to the cinema, followed by a visit to Edinburgh area to see old pals and we'll have a Bank Holiday two day drinking session. Paris next, followed by Stockholm, then going to plan, Thailand, and the Singapore Grand Prix. I've got a good life, not trapped by anyone or by circumstance.

If I were American, Puerto Vallarta, Guadalajara and San Miguel de Allende would be go to retirement places. San Miguel has a feel of Chiang Mai to it. Guadalajara was exceptional. I'd avoid Rio like the plague but I could easily live in Montevideo, Uruguay. I see Medillin ( Colombia ) locals are turning against "passport bros" with some serious demonstrations taking place. Even the Spanish are taking to the streets to protest tourism. 

We are in the Overrunning Age. Every decent location is bursting at the seams and with greater numbers there's always greater potential conflict. We see that with Thailand now, a lot of the incidents causing comment here are minor but they cause a meltdown among the giant brigade of pontificating balloons. This thread a prime example - KGB, Stasi, UN charters etc. Get a grip, It's Mad Hatter level absurdity.    

I am easily confused Mr B, I don't see your posts regularly but what I have seen gave the impression you were here permanently. Not my business anyway. 

10 hours ago, saintdomingo said:

I am easily confused Mr B, I don't see your posts regularly but what I have seen gave the impression you were here permanently. Not my business anyway. 

I was there for three years then I lost my elder sister to cancer. I have chosen to move closer to my 79yo parents. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theblether said:

I was there for three years then I lost my elder sister to cancer. I have chosen to move closer to my 79yo parents. 

I can only wish you well, lost mine a long time ago.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I see the food blogger didn't bother to mention the multiple violations of tourist visa restrictions, work permits, and other even more serious matters.

12 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I see the food blogger didn't bother to mention the multiple violations of tourist visa restrictions, work permits, and other even more serious matters.

Yet the points made are wholly valid... 

The idea that a vlogger or blogger needs a work permit and posting online videos is subject to visa restrictions and work permits is preposterous... 

... Next we will see tourists who've posted their face-book photo of their holiday being charged with 'working'... 'some computer crimes act' or 'bringing Thailand into disrepute'....

Imagine - taking a photo of a messed up litter strewn beach... Or, all the messy cables on a dirty street, posting it on your social media (facebook for example) and then being challenged by the Police because it paints a Thailand in a negative light. 

Of course, we are not 'at that point'....  but this targeting of V-loggers, YouTubers and TikTokers who tell the truth but that truth is negative and paints Thailand is a less than wholesome positive glowing wonderful light is rather draconian....    

The actions of the Police and the existence of these laws themselves paint Thailand in a negative light, not people telling negative truths.

Those in positions of authority really need to start maturing - use the feed back to improve instead of retaliating. 

Of course - any form of public medial needs to be submitted with responsibility, I'm all for dealing with those publicising false information under libel laws - thats fine....   

• Agree 2

16 hours ago, Billy A said:

Typical condescending lecturing from an all knowing westerner, he should have stayed in his perfect and wonderful country.

There are plenty of negatives in any country... 

The issue is, if we publicly report on them in our home country, or to compare an 'apple to an apple' if a Thai were to public report on a negative aspect of the UK (or any Western nation) they are not challenged by the Police (unless they are inciting violence and hatred). 

In Thailand - post any public comment in anything other than a positive light and people jump to 'defamation' is incredibly juvenile.

Thats one of the reasons its so difficult to get the 'truth' in Thailand, its hidden behind protectionist policies and childish minds who get upset and want retaliation.

• Agree 1