Unprecedented Heatwave Spurs High Power Demand in Thailand

webfact

5 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

for the righteous i have solar and drive an EV
that is you  I have solar and an EV but you say I’m righteous, I never claimed it.
did i mention you by name? mo, but you replied anyway, if the shoe fits

Yes, you are fortunate to able to do what you do and live how you live, be grateful

Yes I am but it’s the same for every expat living in Thailand 
who mentioned expats?

the vast majority of people cannot live like you

the same for every expat living in Thailand 
since when did "the vast majority" exclude the vast majority?

the vast majority of people use their cars during the day

EV owners can charge at night using TOU half price electric,  but you didn’t know that. With average journeys most people would only need to charge once a week when they were doing something else like shopping but you didn’t know that
YES, i know that, but this is mental gymnastics for i have an EV i charge during the day with excess solar" which is what i was referring too and has been stated many times, although not sure if by yourself

the vast majority of people cannot afford solar

better to borrow the money to buy solar as it makes good financial sense with a 5 year payback, but you didn’t know that
now you are encouraging people to get further into debt, again other people are not you.

the vast majority of people cannot afford a brand new second hand car, let alone a new EV

The Neta V EV is cheaper than a suzuki swift and even cheaper second hand, but you didn’t know that
most people do not need a new car of any kind, most people have not finished paying for the car they are currently driving, but you already know that, again encouraging people to get into debt is not good and other people are not you.

the vast majority of people do not have 30 minutes to wait for a charge on long journeys

but you didn’t know that new EVs can add 350km of range in 20 minutes 
Yes my point still stands as i said long journey, you literally made my point for me

the vast majority of people cannot afford to replace a disposable EV every few years

EVs come with 8 years warranty including the battery but you didn’t know that
as i said replace every few years, 8 years flies by

the vast majority of people cannot afford to signal their virtue in such ways

EV haters always accuse EV owners of “virtue signaling” while all the time signaling their own ignorance 
why do you know someone drives an EV, because they tell you every chance they get.

if the grid cannot meet the demands of aircons being run on high
imagine how bad it would get when everyone got home from work and charged their EV

Not true but you didn’t know that. It’s clearly too complicated for you to understand so I won’t waste any more of my time trying to educate you.

what is not true?
the article above is about huge power demands, if EVERYONE drove an EV, electricity demand would increase especially certain times of day, and no, not everyone would wait for off peak hours

Sometimes it just helps to be humble and grateful for the situation we ourselves are in regardless of how others live.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, giddyup said:

You can run aircon 24/7 purely on solar?

I should think that is quite possible yo do so.

Having said that, you would have to know how how many units of electricity you currently use daily, then build/get built, a solar array to supply at least 4 or 5 times the equivalent daily usage to have enough daytime power to run all the current system you have, plus enough to keep the battery backup for when the solar system is on minimal charge at night.

I am sure that the must be a formula available to give you that result, but that is not in my skillset.

I don't that is possible to home build one like that and the cost of such a system would be expensive, assuming that it can be expanded by perhaps 5% per year.

The ROI would take a long time (if ever) to pay for itself given that the batteries will degrade over time, as will the solar cells.

• Thumbs Up 1

A post exposing another member location and replies have been removed:

31. You will not publicly discuss other members or post any member's personal information including but not limited to emails, social media messages, private messages, photos or website details. Contact information is permitted in the Jobs Offers and Jobs Wanted sections, but for the privacy and security of our members we strongly urge the use of the private message function rather the posting of personal contact information.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, sandyf said:

The weather has been deviating from the norm for the last 7 years or so, a heatwave at some point was an almost certainty.

The norm for this area was no rain from Nov till around Songkran and then in 2016 there was no rain until about June, then in Jan 2017 we had some rain, unprecedented. Since then the amount of rain between NY and Songkran has steadily increased.

The problem with Thailand is the weather can be very localised and Mr Google not as informed as some may think. I have no mains water supply, we collect our own with a well for backup, so rain quite an important factor. We usually plan to  go away in May in case dry spell protracted but this year would have been ok, enough water till end of month, well run out about 2 weeks ago.

So far this year since 01 January, where I live in rural Kamphaeng Phet we have had 19.3mm of rain. Fortunately we are on mains water but this week we had to buy in water for the first time in a couple of years.

The TMD forecast for here is no real rain until the end of May and probably less rain this year than last year. The last real rain we had was 5.9 mm over 20/21/22 March.

The klong across the road in 2011 was about 10 metres wide a 3 metres deep but it is now possible in many places to walk across it without even getting the soles of your shoes wet. There are some small pools of water in places, but that is all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidneybear said:

A better question would be how many kms does he drive them. Solar power is puny.

32 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

If solar power is puny how can I power a 450m2 house and 2 EVs without PEA/MEA?

You clearly don’t know what you’re talking about.

As stated by 'B', you haven't a clue.   

Our system is only 8kW inverter, provides enough to be off grid, using up to 1000kWh a month so far, and 50kWh a day when needed, and includes charging the EVs for 20k kms +/- a year.   I'm sure it would provide more if needed, as that's all we've used, needed so far.  We yet to max out production, as only needed 50kWh on our highest use day.

All things being equal, would amount to 1500kWh a month, and that's not even maxed out potential production.  Peeks & valleys means it was a cloudy and or overcast day, and never maxed out at 8.8kWh of production.   A couple late afternoon hours, just producing enough for consumption.image.png.3c4e3d09da1bc0aebb5935642921d7d7.png

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, billd766 said:

So far this year since 01 January, where I live in rural Kamphaeng Phet we have had 19.3mm of rain. Fortunately we are on mains water but this week we had to buy in water for the first time in a couple of years.

The TMD forecast for here is no real rain until the end of May and probably less rain this year than last year. The last real rain we had was 5.9 mm over 20/21/22 March.

The klong across the road in 2011 was about 10 metres wide a 3 metres deep but it is now possible in many places to walk across it without even getting the soles of your shoes wet. There are some small pools of water in places, but that is all.

It is clouding over here and the wind is getting up. My barometer  is down to 1004mB and there was a 40% chance of rain according to Accuweather. Having said that at 07:00 Accuweather said that there will be a possibility of a thunderstorm this afternoon and they also say that in the big village there will be 0.6mm of rain. So far here there is not a drop anywhere.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Hi Bill, glad to see your name come up, not seen it for a while and was beginning to wonder.

Yes we had some really torrential rain in March, a good deal more than last year but been fairly dry since. Last year we went to UK 30th April and if I remember right wife's sister said rain came just after we left. Our well ran out a couple of weeks ago and that is the first time for several years. I remember when I first came it used to run out about early March and sometimes bought water.

Wife seem to think it will start here on Monday, have to wait and see on that. We are off to UK on 14th, looks like plenty over there.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

My latest EV comes with 6 Tesla Powerwalls of backup storage, that’s got to be worth something over zero 😉

right now, it would make zero sense for myself to buy any car
but
that said, the best thing for an EV for a solar owner 
is using the EV as extra storage for the house 
but still makes no financial sense, as batteries are much cheaper and i already have a car

Edited by patman30
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

As stated by 'B', you haven't a clue.   

Our system is only 8kW inverter, provides enough to be off grid, using up to 1000kWh a month so far, and 50kWh a day when needed, and includes charging the EVs for 20k kms +/- a year.   I'm sure it would provide more if needed, as that's all we've used, needed so far.  We yet to max out production, as only needed 50kWh on our highest use day.

All things being equal, would amount to 1500kWh a month, and that's not even maxed out potential production.  Peeks & valleys means it was a cloudy and or overcast day, and never maxed out at 8.8kWh of production.   A couple late afternoon hours, just producing enough for consumption.image.png.3c4e3d09da1bc0aebb5935642921d7d7.png

The question here is about EVs. Do the math on how many kWh an EV consumes, then come back to me on how feasible it is to use solar only to charge one. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

If solar power is puny how can I power a 450m2 house and 2 EVs without PEA/MEA?

You clearly don’t know what you’re talking about.

How many kms do you drive each EV per week then? 

25 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Hi Bill, glad to see your name come up, not seen it for a while and was beginning to wonder.

Yes we had some really torrential rain in March, a good deal more than last year but been fairly dry since. Last year we went to UK 30th April and if I remember right wife's sister said rain came just after we left. Our well ran out a couple of weeks ago and that is the first time for several years. I remember when I first came it used to run out about early March and sometimes bought water.

Wife seem to think it will start here on Monday, have to wait and see on that. We are off to UK on 14th, looks like plenty over there.

Good afternoon Sandy

Sadly just sound effects at the moment. No light(ning) effects and definitely no rain.

42 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

The question here is about EVs. Do the math on how many kWh an EV consumes, then come back to me on how feasible it is to use solar only to charge one

It is, and I do, and never need to use the grid, unless away from home.  20k kms a year, if all things equal is only 7kWh a day for our EV.  ~1 hr on a wall charger @ 7.4kWh, if your system can handle it, or ~3 hrs on a granny charge @ 2.3kWh.   I could do that overnight on my ESS/battery, not that I would.

I think you need new batteries in your calculator, so you can do the math.  Since owning a few, I know how much an EV consumes.   You obviously don't own one.  I charged up today, ~19% / ~8.8kWh, and didn't even plug into till almost noon, and it was topped up.  No problem.

Come back when you have real facts, or some more 'what if' scenarios.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

It is, and I do, and never need to use the grid, unless away from home.  20k kms a year, if all things equal is only 7kWh a day for our EV.  ~1 hr on a wall charger @ 7.4kWh, if your system can handle it, or ~3 hrs on a granny charge @ 2.3kWh.   I could do that overnight on my ESS/battery, not that I would.

I think you need new batteries in your calculator, so you can do the math.  Since owning a few, I know how much an EV consumes.   You obviously don't own one.  I charged up today, ~19% / ~8.8kWh, and didn't even plug into till almost noon, and it was topped up.  No problem.

Come back when you have real facts, or some more 'what if' scenarios.

20k kms per year isn't much driving, more like leisure use, which reinforces my point. How big are your solar panels if they can deliver 7 kW, and how much did your entire setup cost, including your EV?

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

20k kms per year isn't much driving, more like leisure use, which reinforces my point. How big are your solar panels if they can deliver 7 kW, and how much did your entire setup cost, including your EV?

I'm retired, so yea, pretty much leisure driving.   And since everything is within walking/bicycle or ebike distance from the house, my daily ride to the park or surf is even quite unnecessary.

We don't even need a car, or mc.  Just for convenience and O&A (out & about)

20k kms;

10k O&A - require hotel & CS (charging stations)

10k 'local' of which more than half, were 50-125 kms away from the house

E-MC - average about 2500 kms a year.

Strange questions, but here you go:

Our system, our MG ZS,

our MC

image.png.fea5b0cd315f2be3627ec118a4e70621.png

My E-bike:

image.png.b4565364e7c4ca0c55638d1b1c66659b.png

• Love It 1

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I'm retired, so yea, pretty much leisure driving.   And since everything is within walking/bicycle or ebike distance from the house, my daily ride to the park or surf is even quite unnecessary.

We don't even need a car, or mc.  Just for convenience and O&A (out & about)

20k kms;

10k O&A - require hotel & CS (charging stations)

10k 'local' of which more than half, were 50-125 kms away from the house

E-MC - average about 2500 kms a year.

Strange questions, but here you go:

Our system, our MG ZS,

our MC

image.png.fea5b0cd315f2be3627ec118a4e70621.png

My E-bike:

image.png.b4565364e7c4ca0c55638d1b1c66659b.png

Got it, thanks. Home solar charging an electric motorbike gets you 2500 km per year. Very nice, but I was thinking four wheels, and how home solar might be insufficient for more than just local leisure driving. What kind of EV car do you drive?

Edited by sidneybear

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, sidneybear said:

Got it, thanks. Home solar charging an electric motorbike gets you 2500 km per year. Very nice, but I was thinking four wheels, and how home solar might be insufficient for more than just local leisure driving. What kind of EV car do you drive?

Asked & answered:

image.png.070de86eb2a6eff73cbfb785589d9455.png

All info provided, if you don't read it, I'm not wasting my time with you.  Try clicking on the links above:

image.png.45b338b9474559a2540425890516ec76.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 1

On 5/2/2024 at 6:22 AM, Bandersnatch said:

The other case is very tragic, an old guy was out in his field alone burning the stubble when he was overcome by the heat. His burned body was found later by his family.

Wow.

A DIY cremation!

I will have to keep this in mind as a lower-cost final solution.

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Asked & answered:

image.png.070de86eb2a6eff73cbfb785589d9455.png

All info provided, if you don't read it, I'm not wasting my time with you.  Try clicking on the links above:

image.png.45b338b9474559a2540425890516ec76.png

Ah. Missed that bit. Thanks. Anyway, it looks like you're enjoying your hobby and best of luck to you. For serious driving though, home solar is too puny as we've agreed. 

1 hour ago, sidneybear said:

Ah. Missed that bit. Thanks. Anyway, it looks like you're enjoying your hobby and best of luck to you. For serious driving though, home solar is too puny as we've agreed. 

See you still haven't read or understood anything I've provided.  As we DO NOT AGREE on anything.

• Love It 1

14 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

See you still haven't read or understood anything I've provided.  As we DO NOT AGREE on anything.

You conceded that 20k kms is leisure use, some of which is done on an electric motorbike, which it is.

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

You conceded that 20k kms is leisure use, some of which is done on an electric motorbike, which it is.

NO.   20k on the car, if you read what I provided

2500 on the MC, not included in the 20k

20k kms is 20k kms, whether I'm using to dive to the park or surf, or to the a job or school run.  When I lived in the USA, that was about my average there also.    Probably why cars at the time, if lucky, had a 5 yr/ 60k mile warranty.

Our MG has more faith in the battery, 8 years / 180k kms, 5 yrs on the rest of the car.

PLEASE don't reply to me if not going to read what you are replying to.

WE  DON'T AGREE ON ANYTHING .... BYE BYE

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

NO.   20k on the car, if you read what I provided

2500 on the MC, not included in the 20k

20k kms is 20k kms, whether I'm using to dive to the park or surf, or to the a job or school run.  When I lived in the USA, that was about my average there also.    Probably why cars at the time, if lucky, had a 5 yr/ 60k mile warranty.

Our MG has more faith in the battery, 8 years / 180k kms, 5 yrs on the rest of the car.

PLEASE don't reply to me if not going to read what you are replying to.

WE  DON'T AGREE ON ANYTHING .... BYE BYE

Well you did agree with me when I told you that 20k kms per year is low, and more like leisure usage or a retiree in your case. Check your posts. 

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

Well you did agree with me when I told you that 20k kms per year is low, and more like leisure usage or a retiree in your case. Check your posts. 

Did not agree they are low, simply 'retirement / leisure' kms.   You need to work on your reading comprehension. 

image.png.98fe780e03f95057d31d07269b5cdf6b.png

Of course, as suspected, you are wrong, 22.5k kms a year is not low.

Comparison to the world's drivers, we seem to drive HIGH mileage/kms, even more than them pesky Yanks ... big surprise :coffee1:

Our driving, 20k + 2.5k = 22.5k kms

image.png.359a2d14d10d9048b7b70a5ef88db9aa.png

image.png.1705db97dce68e4c7e71b8b61f6d402c.png

Our miles / kms driving:

Edited by KhunLA

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Did not agree they are low, simply 'retirement / leisure' kms.   You need to work on your reading comprehension. 

image.png.98fe780e03f95057d31d07269b5cdf6b.png

Of course, as suspected, you are wrong, 22.5k kms a year is not low.

Comparison to the world's drivers, we seem to drive HIGH mileage/kms, even more than them pesky Yanks ... big surprise :coffee1:

Our driving, 20k + 2.5k = 22.5k kms

image.png.359a2d14d10d9048b7b70a5ef88db9aa.png

image.png.1705db97dce68e4c7e71b8b61f6d402c.png

Our miles / kms driving:

Splitting hairs mate. Retirement and leisure kms are generally regarded as low, as is the low 20k kms you drive each compared to that of a working person.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

IMG_4021.jpeg.5feea988e76145554daca1773e39b81a.jpeg

IMG_4020.jpeg.9d2cbe32a4eb966e6e86fc7708ec6f52.jpeg

IMG_4019.jpeg.dbcdd77cda64ca09284fe951c9c17a8f.jpeg

IMG_4018.jpeg.faf98f9f7a3855241e643fae51fe1fd2.jpeg

Terrible.

The THING that makes this terrible beyond terribleness is that it is farmers like this who break their backs every day providing food for the rest of us.

They deal with drought and heat and floods.

They get paid too little, and it is the operators of Big Box food chains, around the world, who are raking in record profits during this post-pandemic period (alliteration intended.)

If I were GOD, I would change this inequity today, this minute.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

20 hours ago, billd766 said:

Good afternoon Sandy

Sadly just sound effects at the moment. No light(ning) effects and definitely no rain.

Bit the same here this afternoon.

Fairly confident it will come Sun/Mon, we have a trip planned to Pattaya to see friends from Phitsanulok who made a sudden decision to escape the heat for a couple of days.