Thai national tax liability on incoming foreign transfers

4 minutes ago, SmokeandIce said:

What is the tax liability for a Thai citizen when receiving money from overseas ? 

1st 150,000thb is tax free

17 minutes ago, SmokeandIce said:

What is the tax liability for a Thai citizen when receiving money from overseas ? 

Same like for Foreigners.

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

if it’s a gift 10 million baht, double that if you are husband and wife or parent and child.

However, for no tax to be due, it is important that you never benefit from the gift, which means if you are closely related, then the recipient needs to be able to prove where the money was spent, and none of it went back to the giver.

So if spent on a car or house for her that's OK, it's impossible to prove it's been mispent

9 minutes ago, proton said:

So if spent on a car or house for her that's OK, it's impossible to prove it's been mispent

if you sent the money from your home country to her bank and she bought a house and car, that is fine. But she cannot give you any of the money and you have to pay your own way not have her pay for everything.

In any event, you both have to sign at the Land office to say it’s her money and therefore her house and that you have no interest in it, this is normal anyway I believe.

• Agree 1

Let me explain what I will do regarding tax free gifts.  I am single, but have 2 adopted daughters. I have a moral obligation to look after them.

Instead of giving them a monthly allowance, paying their university degrees, buying houses for them and buying them their cars.

I will gift them once a year transferring from the uk to their Thai banks.

They can pay all those expenses themselves, the cars they have which are registered in my name, they can buy off me, and I will transfer them into their names, they can pay their own university fees, and their own living expenses at university. There is also a house I bought for them at university, I will take advice on the money being a loan for them to repay.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

if you sent the money from your home country to her bank and she bought a house and car, that is fine. But she cannot give you any of the money and you have to pay your own way not have her pay for everything.

In any event, you both have to sign at the Land office to say it’s her money and therefore her house and that you have no interest in it, this is normal anyway I believe.

Unless things have changed, I believe that you only have to sign this declaration if you are married to each other.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, proton said:

If it's a 'gift' 20 million baht a year!

Supposedly correct, if married...

For a gift received by a person who is an ascendant, a descendant or a spouse

Subject to tax on the amount of the gift received in excess of 20 million baht in a tax year.

If not married, B10 million per year...

For a gift received by a person who is not an ascendant, descendant or spouse on occasions of tradition or custom

Subject to tax on the amount of the gift received in excess of 10 million baht in a tax year.

https://sherrings.com/gift-tax-law-in-thailand.html

Edited by Skeptic7

Posted (edited)

So does that mean if you send your girlfriend a gift not exceeding 10 million she will not have to pay tax on it and theoretically she can give you it back in small amounts as pocket money thereby negating any tax liability to yourself for money received from abroad?

I am sure you know where I am coming from?

Edited by Troy Tempest

1 minute ago, Troy Tempest said:

So does that mean if you send your girlfriend a gift not exceeding 10 million she will not have to pay tax on it and theoretically she can give you it back in small amounts as pocket money thereby negating any tax liability to yourself for money received from abroad?

I am sure you know where I am coming from?

Where you're coming from is enquiring about tax evasion so please don't go there.

But to answer your question:

65) Two additional points on this subject are: 1) Funds that are gifted, must be for the use of the person to whom they are gifted.

If your girlfriend does as you suggest, that once again is tax evasion, the penalties for which in Thailand are draconian.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Where you're coming from is enquiring about tax evasion so please don't go there.

But to answer your question:

65) Two additional points on this subject are: 1) Funds that are gifted, must be for the use of the person to whom they are gifted.

If your girlfriend does as you suggest, that once again is tax evasion, the penalties for which in Thailand are draconian.

Thanks Mike!

Hi I have a question which I think is relevant to this thread. If an expat Thai  tax resident sends a gift ( money transfer) to someone in Thailand from abroad and if the Thai tax authorities some how know this is the situation, wouldn’t the tax authorities consider this as taxable income of the expat but an income exempt gift for the recipient. @mike lister do you have a view on this? Thks

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, MikePBrown said:

Hi I have a question which I think is relevant to this thread. If an expat Thai  tax resident sends a gift ( money transfer) to someone in Thailand from abroad and if the Thai tax authorities some how know this is the situation, wouldn’t the tax authorities consider this as taxable income of the expat but an income exempt gift for the recipient. @mike lister do you have a view on this? Thks

I am sure Mike will answer, but this my take.

Income is only taxable when you bring it here.

When you send money from overseas to a third party, the tax liabilities are defined for you in the remitting country and the recipient in the receiving country.

You have to send it direct to the recipient and not via your Thai bank account.

You must gain no benefit from it here.

Edited by JBChiangRai

45 minutes ago, MikePBrown said:

It would be taxable on the receiver, the Thai Revenue doesn't care who sent it.

On 5/2/2024 at 8:45 AM, JBChiangRai said:

And some mugs will actually do this, quoting " she lubs me " 🤣😂🤣

thailand, so weird... can gift 10 million but if I want to buy a condo now with my own money, I will be taxed 25-35% on my savings, which in my stupid country means 20 years at 1-2% gross interest... after 2008 the local banks gave 0,01% interest...

• Confused 1

To add to dogmatix post: if you want to send gifts to your TGF, at least choose an "occasion"  as required by the RC.

In farang culture,  occasions where gifts are customary are birthday and Christmas.

In Thai culture, Jan 1st.

• Agree 1

On 5/2/2024 at 2:52 PM, Mike Lister said:

b) Maintenance income or gifts from ascendants, descendants, or spouse, in the amount not exceeding THB 20 million throughout a tax year.

Does this include what my mother used to call 'housekeeping money'. ie the money my father gave her to pay our maids, the gardener and our drivers and all other household expenses. 
What about the money you give your wife so she can buy anything she wants and can make sure the kids have whatever they need or want.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Does this include what my mother used to call 'housekeeping money'. ie the money my father gave her to pay our maids, the gardener and our drivers and all other household expenses. 
What about the money you give your wife so she can buy anything she wants and can make sure the kids have whatever they need or want.

Yes. A gift is either that or it isn't, what it is pent on makes no difference.

• Thanks 1

On 5/2/2024 at 12:18 PM, SmokeandIce said:

Why don't you go online and actually find out from the tax department rather than cluelessly insinuate? Or is that too much work and not as much fun as whining about how unequal and unfair it is here?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

The question is, how are they going to know what's in your bank account? Will banks be required to report all transfers to the tax dept? I think I will ask my bank about that. 

Banks already report interest paid and tax with held, plus all international transfers are communicated to BOT as a currency control. Whenever I've filed tax return here, I only have to enter details of one of my accounts into the TRD system and ALL my accounts show up where tax has been with held.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jonathan Swift said:

The question is, how are they going to know what's in your bank account? Will banks be required to report all transfers to the tax dept? I think I will ask my bank about that. 

When I applied for the Elite Visa, they asked me about large withdrawals made in Australia with my Bangkok Bank Debit Card.

I never disclosed that account, I think you can take it as read that they know all your banking transactions.

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1