First-hand expat experiences living in Thailand during 1997 financial crash

Posted (edited)

I'm trying to prepare for what may be ahead. However, I found few first-hand accounts online of what everyday life was like for expats during that time (aside from high-level economic analysis).

What was it like living in Thailand (as a retiree, business owner, or long-stay expat) after the 1997 economic crash? What might current foreign residents expect if the economy crashes?

Aside from a weaker baht (and more favorable exchange rates), what were the pros, cons, upsides, and downsides for expats who lived through the crisis? Will rental rates come down? Did crime rates go up? Did the cost of living for expats (who earn and remit money from outside Thailand), get easier, or were there other financial challenges for foreigners, even those who were not earning money inside Thailand?

Were there opportunities (during the downturn) to start and run a business in Thailand? Did the weaker baht lend itself to starting an export business, for example?

In short, it would be great to see how the last crisis played out to help expats strategically prepare. How can foreign residents protect themselves and seize opportunities, based on what we saw in 1997?

Edited by bangkokgalaxy
  • Like 1

Actually a good time for me. Built 2 houses during that time when the $-baht was over 50.  Last remittance was 57, which made my houses extremely cheap.

Went about my normal job (in BKK), did all my regular activities...so can't remember anything adverse.

I'm sure others will have their own stories.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Nothing much changes as the majority earns minimum already. Also can't compare before to what is next, the big global crash will be like the worst in a century. Our own money will be just as messed up at that point. Well yeah, good exchange rates.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Haha 1

July/August 1997. It was a crazy time indeed. It was in the month, or month before Lady Diana died, remember it like yesterday, and the exchange rates was astonishing around that time. That was the only thing that affected my wallet and also the interest on fixed deposits was a crazy ~15% per annum at that time.

• Agree 1

I live in Thailand since 1995. Not much money, working to make a living, still young.

I personally didn't notice any change before to after the crisis.

Maybe I didn't notice anything because at that time Thailand was new to me, and I wasn't working for some big international company.

Easy life, 60B lady drinks in Nana, times were good.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'll add that it was a great time for any of the industries in Thailand that did a lot of export trade. And tourists coming into Thailand with Western currencies at the time were finding everything in Thailand so cheap. It was also the birth of medical tourism industry in Thailand with many people from the Middle East and the wealthier countries in Asia flooding into Thailand for high quality and inexpensive medical care. 

It was a difficult time for individuals and companies that had deposits with the shuttered finance companies. Loans denominated in foreign currency became much harder to service. Lots of companies laid off staff.

Many properties and luxury autos came onto the market at steeply discounted prices in the scramble to raise cash. There was a very brief period before retailers could mark up imported items when local retail prices were about half the US retail price. I think it only took a few days before this was corrected.

The USD/baht exchange rate wasn't above 50 for very long, but it did then settle out in the mid-40s for a longer period. This was a good time to bring in money to buy a house or condo.

But on a day-to-day basis, nothing much changed in my life.

There weren't as many foreigners working in Thailand back then and I think the retirement visa had only recently become available, so the expat community was much smaller than it is today. Tourist arrivals were only about seven or eight million per year back then, too.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bangkokgalaxy said:

I'm trying to prepare for what may be ahead. However, I found few first-hand accounts online of what everyday life was like for expats during that time (aside from high-level economic analysis).

What was it like living in Thailand (as a retiree, business owner, or long-stay expat) after the 1997 economic crash? What might current foreign residents expect if the economy crashes?

Aside from a weaker baht (and more favorable exchange rates), what were the pros, cons, upsides, and downsides for expats who lived through the crisis? Will rental rates come down? Did crime rates go up? Did the cost of living for expats (who earn and remit money from outside Thailand), get easier, or were there other financial challenges for foreigners, even those who were not earning money inside Thailand?

Were there opportunities (during the downturn) to start and run a business in Thailand? Did the weaker baht lend itself to starting an export business, for example?

In short, it would be great to see how the last crisis played out to help expats strategically prepare. How can foreign residents protect themselves and seize opportunities, based on what we saw in 1997?

Thailand need not worry, it's the US, Western State debt bubble this time round - that's where you need to be concerned, and with Basel 3 - Forced Bail In's.

Posted (edited)

Remember it well. Our salaries doubled overnight as many employees left Thailand unable to pay mortgages back home in the UK so management doubled our salaries hoping we'd stay. I was young, had no mortgage or debt and loved the extra spending power. Only imports were more expensive so local beer and services were relatively half price. Great times!

Edited by jimbob123
  • Thumbs Up 1

Was working on the Yadana Pipeline for PTT in 97, getting paid in USD so our money effectively doubled.

Was some worry about banks collapsing but our advice was to use the purple bank, I was told it was at that time majority owned by the King and that the country would have to be in flames before that bank would go under.

Looking at condos in Pattaya for my boss, Royal Cliff had some amazing fire sale prices

Food was cheap, living was cheap, life was good.

• Agree 1

Seems like such an event would likely improve conditions (more or less) for those retired or expats with foreign income. Some industries might even prosper - such as tourism companies that have mostly foreign customers and Thai baht expenses.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1