By what date must I use my approved LTR Visa?

I recently applied for and received approval for an LTR-P visa via the Thai embassy in Washington, D.C.  During the application process, the BOI website and the Thai Embassy website mentioned in different places that applicants should not apply for a visa sooner than 3 months before they intend to travel.  Indeed, I had plans to travel to Thailand in June 2024, and I received BOI approval on April 1, 2024 and visa approval on April 8, 2024.  The visa approval letter from the Thai embassy states the following:

Date of Grant:  08 April 2024

Visa must be used by:  07 April 2034

There appears to be no 3-month deadline on actually entering Thailand with this approved LTR-P visa, despite the 3-month admonition when going through the application process.

After I received the visa approval, my plans have changed, and it would be most convenient for me to travel in late 2024, as opposed to my previous plans.

Is there any reason to worry that the visa will not be honored if I do not enter Thailand within 3 months of the Date of Grant?

5 hours ago, jcates29 said:

I recently applied for and received approval for an LTR-P visa via the Thai embassy in Washington, D.C.  During the application process, the BOI website and the Thai Embassy website mentioned in different places that applicants should not apply for a visa sooner than 3 months before they intend to travel.  Indeed, I had plans to travel to Thailand in June 2024, and I received BOI approval on April 1, 2024 and visa approval on April 8, 2024.  The visa approval letter from the Thai embassy states the following:

Date of Grant:  08 April 2024

Visa must be used by:  07 April 2034

There appears to be no 3-month deadline on actually entering Thailand with this approved LTR-P visa, despite the 3-month admonition when going through the application process.

After I received the visa approval, my plans have changed, and it would be most convenient for me to travel in late 2024, as opposed to my previous plans.

Is there any reason to worry that the visa will not be honored if I do not enter Thailand within 3 months of the Date of Grant?

Your expiry is stated as 7 April 2034.

Normally you are granted a visa with a date that you have to use it by. 

Therefore you are good up until that date. 

It does appear odd having a visa valid for 10 years but if that's what is written, lucky you. 

I have an LTR and found the Board of Investment to be very helpful.  I suggest you should contact the BOI and ask them by when you should use your LTR.  They have a website and also have phone numbers there available.  Just remember their hours are almost 12 hours depending on where you are in the US so you will have to contact them during their normal daytime working hours, not lunch time either and be aware of any Thai official holidays when you want to contact them.  Good luck

• Agree 1

jcates29 - ou did not say if you had gone to the embassy/consulate and had your passport stamped yet - The BOI instructions normally say that once you receive the visa approval letter, you have 60 days to obtain that visa in your passport of you will have to redo the application I believe.  Definitely need to contact the BOI office soonest and find out what you need to do immediately...just saying.

17 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Your expiry is stated as 7 April 2034.

Normally you are granted a visa with a date that you have to use it by. 

Therefore you are good up until that date. 

It does appear odd having a visa valid for 10 years but if that's what is written, lucky you. 

You're not familiar with the LTR Visa are you. Permission to stay is actually 5 years, with extension 10 years.

@Presnock Thanks for your reply.  Regarding stamps in the passport, since COVID the Thai Embassy in Washington, D.C. does not require visa applicants to actually travel to the embassy or send one's passport for stamps.  They issue an approval letter via email, and I have received the letter.  I'm sure the info in the letter is also reflected in the immigration computer system as well.  In the past, I have applied for a Tourist visa and received approval via letter, and traveled to Thailand using the approval letter.  Thus I'm pretty sure the letter is sufficient.   I just wanted confirmation that I wasn't missing some three-month deadline to actually enter Thailand using the approved visa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jcates29 said:

the Thai Embassy in Washington, D.C. does not require visa applicants to actually travel to the embassy or send one's passport for stamps.  They issue an approval letter via email, and I have received the letter.

The wording on the document is confusing, but what you have is an E-Visa, not an "approval letter". You had 60 days from the BOI's "endorsement of qualifications" to get your visa issued, and you did that, so at this point you can enter Thailand at your leisure - just bring a printout of the E-Visa. Congratulations on getting the LTR!

7 hours ago, sabaiguy said:

You're not familiar with the LTR Visa are you. Permission to stay is actually 5 years, with extension 10 years.

The stamps indicate approval for 10 yes ten years with the date ten years from the stamp in to the date of expiration 10 years in the future but with a 5-year "renewal" probably to insure one can still abide by the requirements of the initial approval of said visa.  yes and if you check the elite visas, one is good for 25 years even - and yeah at each 5-year visa of that type the price LEAPS up for each too.

1 hour ago, jcates29 said:

@Presnock Thanks for your reply.  Regarding stamps in the passport, since COVID the Thai Embassy in Washington, D.C. does not require visa applicants to actually travel to the embassy or send one's passport for stamps.  They issue an approval letter via email, and I have received the letter.  I'm sure the info in the letter is also reflected in the immigration computer system as well.  In the past, I have applied for a Tourist visa and received approval via letter, and traveled to Thailand using the approval letter.  Thus I'm pretty sure the letter is sufficient.   I just wanted confirmation that I wasn't missing some three-month deadline to actually enter Thailand using the approved visa.

If you have any concerns about the ltr, just email or call the BOI office in Bangkok and they speak English well and can answer any of your questions while those of us that have already received our visas, we did so, sometimes years apart and some changes may have occured.  Just saying, like everything else put out on this forum, it could be rumor, fact or fake so when it could affect one, it is best to check with the official office.  Good luck, good travels.

On 5/5/2024 at 7:42 AM, Presnock said:

I have an LTR and found the Board of Investment to be very helpful.  I suggest you should contact the BOI and ask them by when you should use your LTR.  They have a website and also have phone numbers there available.  Just remember their hours are almost 12 hours depending on where you are in the US so you will have to contact them during their normal daytime working hours, not lunch time either and be aware of any Thai official holidays when you want to contact them.  Good luck

I agree that the BOI is very helpful via the phone and the English of the lady I talked was crystal clear.  I also used email to the BOI a couple of times and received a reply within 24 hours.  A friend who applied from Hawaii sent many emails and had the same prompt responses.  If you send email be sure to include your LTR ID.