Chinese Tourists Revive Thailand Tourism Using ED Visa

webfact

On 5/6/2024 at 11:59 AM, jonclark said:

What happens if they discover they dont like muay thai and stop the class. Can they still use the visa until it expires?

You must show your skills learnt by fighting an immigration officer.

• Haha 2

On 5/6/2024 at 12:28 PM, sqwakvfr said:

Tourist on an Ed Visa?  Am I missing something? What is the message that is preached to tourists:  You are visiting the Land of Land of Smiles, you are not working or studying.  So I can now pursue a year long Muay Thai/Self Defense Visa and only I only spend 4 hours per week at the gym?  I am not from China so probably not.  

There are many people from all over the world staying in Thailand on ED visas studying just 4 hours a week.

I don't know why you think it is an exclusive option for Chinese only?

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, JayClay said:

There are many people from all over the world staying in Thailand on ED visas studying just 4 hours a week.

I don't know why you think it is an exclusive option for Chinese only?

I never said it was just the Chinese.  But it appears many are from China based upon this article. Also, those from other countries who are on 4 hour per week Ed Visa's are not called "tourists".  But this articles seems to imply Chinse who are on Ed Visa's are tourists? As usual in LOS: Clear as mud.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, sqwakvfr said:

I never said it was just the Chinese.  But it appears many are from China based upon this article. Also, those from other countries who are on 4 hour per week Ed Visa's are not called "tourists".  But this articles seems to imply Chinse who are on Ed Visa's are tourists? As usual in LOS: Clear as mud.

The article talks about a specific group of people (Chinese) who are taking advantage of staying for 90 days studying Muoy Thai on a non-ED visa.

It is not an advertisement for, or an endorsement of, the visa.

You "never said it was just the Chinese", but you strongly suggested that you thought you wouldn't qualify for such a visa because you're not Chinese. Which is exactly the same thing...

4 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

I am not from China so probably not.

48 minutes ago, JayClay said:

(nothing)

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, JayClay said:

The article talks about a specific group of people (Chinese) who are taking advantage of staying for 90 days studying Muoy Thai on a non-ED visa.

It is not an advertisement for, or an endorsement of, the visa.

You "never said it was just the Chinese", but you strongly suggested that you thought you wouldn't qualify for such a visa because you're not Chinese. Which is exactly the same thing...

Do you undestand or appreciate sarcasm? I never said it was an endorsement of any visa.  I had a neighbor from Canada who is in his mid 60's asked about a Muay Thai Visa from a local gym. The gym advised him to pursue another type of visa.  

27 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Do you undestand or appreciate sarcasm? I never said it was an endorsement of any visa.  I had a neighbor from Canada who is in his mid 60's asked about a Muay Thai Visa from a local gym. The gym advised him to pursue another type of visa.  

Yes I understand sarcasm. I don't see how it applies in this particular case. Perhaps you would like to explain how that remark fits the definition.

I don't know how a gym (rather than a school) advising your neighbour (who was over 50 so had at least one better option available to him) to pursue a different visa type has anything to do with whatever point you're trying to make?

• Confused 1

On 5/6/2024 at 10:06 AM, webfact said:

A group of Chinese tourists kickstarted Thailand’s tourism revival over the weekend under the Non-Immigrant ED Visa. The visa, nicknamed the "Non-Ed Visa", allows tourists to stay for 90 days and participate in Muay Thai classes, significantly longer than the previous 60-day limit. 

A group of Chinese tourists.......tourism revival.......Non ED Visa allows tourists.

Funny I always thought when on an ED Visa you need to participate in an "Education" activity not act as tourists.

What's next a Non-Imm "B" tourist visa to allow them to work as tour guides.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, JayClay said:

Yes I understand sarcasm. I don't see how it applies in this particular case. Perhaps you would like to explain how that remark fits the definition.

I don't know how a gym (rather than a school) advising your neighbour (who was over 50 so had at least one better option available to him) to pursue a different visa type has anything to do with whatever point you're trying to make?

I was being sarcastic in my statement.  Did not say anything about the article being sarcastic.  My point is an Ed Visa has been used by some or many as an excucse to stay in LOS for longer periods than Tourist Visas.  Also, some Muay Gyms are also "schools" and can  apply Ed Visa for a prospective student. 

Edited by sqwakvfr

10 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

I was being sarcastic in my statement.  Did not say anything about the article being sarcastic.  My point is an Ed Visa has been used by some or many as an excucse to stay in LOS for longer periods than Tourist Visas.  

You have serious reading comprehension issues. I did not ask you why the article was sarcastic. I asked you how you saying "can I do the same? Probably not, I'm not Chinese" manages to 'sarcastically' make your point about ED visas being used to stay in LOS long term?

Your 'sarcastic' question refers to the issue of the visa, not the continued use. So the two points aren't even related.

10 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Also, some Muay Gyms are also "schools" and can  apply Ed Visa for a prospective student. 

Yes. A tiny percentage do.

If the gym your friend went to was such a school, then they gave him good advice that there are better visa options available for him; saving him a decent chunk of money in the process.

If they gym wasn't a registered school then they would obviously not want to push your friend to a competing school, so they would obviously suggest to look for alternative visa options to prevent losing a customer.

In either case, what is your point? And how does it relate to the original quote that I called you out on?

47 minutes ago, JayClay said:

You have serious reading comprehension issues. I did not ask you why the article was sarcastic. I asked you how you saying "can I do the same? Probably not, I'm not Chinese" manages to 'sarcastically' make your point about ED visas being used to stay in LOS long term?

Your 'sarcastic' question refers to the issue of the visa, not the continued use. So the two points aren't even related.

Yes. A tiny percentage do.

If the gym your friend went to was such a school, then they gave him good advice that there are better visa options available for him; saving him a decent chunk of money in the process.

If they gym wasn't a registered school then they would obviously not want to push your friend to a competing school, so they would obviously suggest to look for alternative visa options to prevent losing a customer.

In either case, what is your point? And how does it relate to the original quote that I called you out on?

Yes. I gusee you are right. I must have a reading comprehension prolbme.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/6/2024 at 2:37 PM, Gknrd said:

Thailand bet 100% on China taking over the world.

It's a very good bet. The mad brute, the US, is going down, which is a good thing. Everybody loves China because they want to make everybody rich without interfering in national politics.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1