Growing Concern: US Intelligence Warns of Closer China-Russia Cooperation on Taiwan

image.png

US intelligence officials are raising alarms about increased cooperation between China and Russia, particularly in military matters, raising concerns about a potential joint invasion of Taiwan. This development has prompted heightened planning across the US government to counteract any coordinated actions by the two countries.

Director of National Intelligence Avril Haines highlighted this worrisome trend during her testimony to Congress, noting that China and Russia have begun exercising together in relation to Taiwan. Haines emphasized that China seeks Russia's collaboration in this regard, marking a significant departure from previous dynamics.

Republican Senator Mike Rounds of South Dakota brought up the potential scenario during a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing, prompting further discussion on the matter. He questioned the head of the Defense Intelligence Agency about the Pentagon's preparedness for such a situation.

Lieutenant General Jeffrey Kruse of the Defense Department expressed heightened concern about the joint force requirements in a scenario where Russia and China cooperate. This indicates a recognition within the defense establishment of the need to adapt planning, equipment, and manpower needs accordingly.

Rounds underscored the complexity of the situation, emphasizing that a conflict with one adversary could easily escalate into a two-front conflict, significantly impacting planning efforts. Haines echoed this sentiment, acknowledging the possibility of such a scenario while noting variations in likelihood depending on specific circumstances.

Furthermore, intelligence assessments point to increasing cooperation between Russia and China across various sectors, including political, economic, military, and technological domains. This comprehensive collaboration underscores the depth of the partnership between the two countries and presents a multifaceted challenge for US policymakers and defense planners.

As tensions in the Indo-Pacific region continue to simmer, the prospect of China and Russia aligning their military strategies poses a significant strategic challenge for the United States and its allies. Addressing this challenge will require a multifaceted approach that leverages diplomatic, economic, and military tools to maintain stability and deter aggression in the region.

2024-05-07

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Tell that to all the countries bordering on the South China Sea whose offshore territory China claims for its own.

I see all ASEAN countries with the exception of that vassal state, PH, having excellent relationships with China and growing investments. There are some territorial disputes among all these countries, with China AND with each other. No one is going to war or preparing to go to war on this.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, 300sd said:

Growing Concern?

China will also have a growing concern regarding what they see happening in Ukraine. Anyone with half a brain can see that the west if fighting a war with Russia using Ukraine. Now Germany is ready to send troops to Ukraine. Ukraine air force has American jets. China knows they are next after Russia. So of course China and Russia will be allies. The West will lose this upcoming war. Bunch of bloody fools!

Not that "The West" will enter this war, but where has Russia demonstrated any great competence at warfare?

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, 300sd said:

Growing Concern?

China will also have a growing concern regarding what they see happening in Ukraine. Anyone with half a brain can see that the west if fighting a war with Russia using Ukraine. Now Germany is ready to send troops to Ukraine. Ukraine air force has American jets. China knows they are next after Russia. So of course China and Russia will be allies. The West will lose this upcoming war. Bunch of bloody fools!

China's growing concern is that the Russian invasion of Ukraine has cemented the cohesion of NATO countries and their allies, made them aware of threats from autocratic countries, and induced them to increase their military expenses and get more ready for a possible conflict. Not to mention the gained experience and cohesion in non-military retaliations, as China's foreign markets are dominantly NATO countries and their allies.

Of course, China is happy that Russia pisses-off the U.S. and the West, and also to increase its economic and strategic control of Russia. However, I am not sure it may balance the drawbacks of the Russian invasion of Ukraine that I mentioned.

16 hours ago, 300sd said:

Russia thinks the West has entered this war. That's really the problem isn't it? (they also probably feel the West has pushed them into this war, but that's another topic). "Where has Russia demonstrated any great competence at warfare?" Gee perhaps their past record isn't all that great, like the US, but I'd sure hate to see them demonstrate their current capabilities with nukes. I understand they have a few.

What's that got to do with competence at warfare?

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, placeholder said:

Not that "The West" will enter this war, but where has Russia demonstrated any great competence at warfare?

Ukraine, with the aid of the best military minds the west has to offer, an army trained by NATO, together with billions of dollars worth of equipment and weapons failed spectacularly in their counter offensive, losing more ground than they captured.

Since the conflict began, Russia has advanced slowly but surely, capturing up to 18% of Ukraine’s pre-conflict territory.

Sounds to me that they are rather competent.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Ukraine, with the aid of the best military minds the west has to offer, an army trained by NATO, together with billions of dollars worth of equipment and weapons failed spectacularly in their counter offensive, losing more ground than they captured.

Since the conflict began, Russia has advanced slowly but surely, capturing up to 18% of Ukraine’s pre-conflict territory.

Sounds to me that they are rather competent.

Please. The got their butts kicked in Western Ukraine by a far more lightly equipped foe. And they still have to recover all the territory they lost after their initial incursion in the east. If Russia didn't have an ally in Trump and the Republicans, the story would be very different now.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

I see all ASEAN countries with the exception of that vassal state, PH, having excellent relationships with China and growing investments. There are some territorial disputes among all these countries, with China AND with each other. No one is going to war or preparing to go to war on this.

Sure. China's way of negotiating territorial disputes is to seize or settle disputed territories.

Satellite Images Show China Building Houses on Neighbor's Territory

https://www.newsweek.com/china-bhutan-building-house-territory-land-grab-satellite-imagery-1851900

20 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

America has not invaded Ukraine. America is not threatening Taiwan.

China is doing the threats to Taiwan, just in case any posters have doubts.

Oh and it is Russia that has invaded Ukraine as well.

Practically every country in the world, America included, recognises Taiwan as a province of China. Japan had invaded Taiwan during the 2nd WW but returned it to China after their defeat. The KMT party, led by CKS, retreated to Taiwan as they were losing the civil war. Both sides maintain that there is only one China, not Teo Chinas or one China, one Taiwan.

China would like to reunify with Taiwan; after all, over 90% of the Taiwanese are Han Chinese. There are some in Taiwan who wants the same. Even the members and leadership of the KMT wants closer relations leading to possible reunification in the future. There is almost never 100% consensus on national matters. The majority of the Taiwanese prefer the status quo which is also acceptable to China. There is a minority however that wishes to separate from China which is one of China’s red line.

Knowing this, America’s actions in selling arms to the DPP, stationing troops a few kms from China’s borders and training the Taiwanese army are what’s actually threatening Taiwan’s security. Why is America interfering in another sovereign country’s internal affairs. Sorry, that was a rhetorical question. America is well known for sowing discontent around the world. Chaos is good for (arms sales) business and we all know the influence the MIC has in America.

Agree or disagree, most of the world sees it this way.

21 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Please. The got their butts kicked in Western Ukraine by a far more lightly equipped foe. And they still have to recover all the territory they lost after their initial incursion in the east. If Russia didn't have an ally in Trump and the Republicans, the story would be very different now.

You are free to interpret things any way you like. What I know is that Russia is in control of the 4 eastern oblasts and are advancing daily towards Kiev and Odessa.

21 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Sure. China's way of negotiating territorial disputes is to seize or settle disputed territories.

Satellite Images Show China Building Houses on Neighbor's Territory

https://www.newsweek.com/china-bhutan-building-house-territory-land-grab-satellite-imagery-1851900

I didn’t realise that Bhutan was an ASEAN member. Forgive my ignorance…🙄

9 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

This is relevant how? You mean Chinese aggression only counts if it takes place in Asean? So I guess the attacks it launched on India don't count either? Is Taiwan a member of Asean?

14 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

You are free to interpret things any way you like. What I know is that Russia is in control of the 4 eastern oblasts and are advancing daily towards Kiev and Odessa.

What you apparently don't know is that Russia right now is taking advantage of Ukraine's current shortage of weapons. That situation is about to change.

8 minutes ago, placeholder said:

This is relevant how? You mean Chinese aggression only counts if it takes place in Asean? So I guess the attacks it launched on India don't count either? Is Taiwan a member of Asean?

22 hours ago, placeholder said:

Tell that to all the countries bordering on the South China Sea whose offshore territory China claims for its own.

Your own words.

9 minutes ago, placeholder said:

What you apparently don't know is that Russia right now is taking advantage of Ukraine's current shortage of weapons. That situation is about to change.

You are also free to believe anything you want. I prefer to focus on facts.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Gweiloman said:

You are also free to believe anything you want. I prefer to focus on facts.

Actually, you prefer to ignore them. As it's been the case that Ukraine has been starved of munitions thanks to the Republicans in Congress. And now that situation has dramatically changed.

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

Actually, you prefer to ignore them. As it's been the case that Ukraine has been starved of munitions thanks to the Republicans in Congress. And now that situation has dramatically changed.

If Ukraine has to depend on America for munitions, that would mean that they weren’t capable of fighting Russia in the first instance. It goes to follow therefore that they were convinced by the Biden administration that America would support them in this war (in other words, a proxy war) for as long as it takes (or is it as long as it is in America’s interests).

Someone once said. To be America’s enemy is dangerous; to be its ally is fatal. How true those words are turning out to be. 

The corrupt politicians in the DPP will undoubtedly find that out for themselves one day.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/7/2024 at 3:43 AM, Gweiloman said:

Countries around the world have had enough of America’s bullying and are taking concrete actions. In spite of numerous requests by China for America to honour their words and agreements, America insists on meddling in China’s internal affairs and provoking China into taking military action. This is what’s causing the so called tensions. 

Yes, when are the self-appointed, answerable to no one dictators in Beijing going to walk away and hand rule of the rest of China over to the democratically elected leaders of Taiwan?

Certainly Taiwan---if it wanted to claim sovereignty over the mainland---has every right to do so, at least equal to Beijing, whose commie govt has ruled Taiwan for a total of zero seconds since the commie takeover of the mainland.

Whether or not to join the all-controlling, corrupt, lying muthafukka mainland (remember, "One Country; Two Systems"?) should be solely up to the free people of Taiwan, and neither Beijing nor any white devil man should have any say in the matter.

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Myanmar---for all its faults---is an ASEAN member, but an official map of China, as on the wall of the office of now-jailed Bo Xilai, had Myanmar as part of the "Middle Kingdom" (sic). Seems a little presumptuous, although China did build a 13,000 ft runway at the airport in Mandalay, so as to be able to accommodate a fully-loaded Chinese military transport aircraft.

The part about the map was told to me by the late Henry Kissinger, so I am going by his statement.

3 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

when are the self-appointed, answerable to no one dictators in Beijing going to walk away and hand rule of the rest of China over to the democratically elected leaders of Taiwan?

Well like never...."unfortunately"

Taiwan is part of China  even your good ole USA admited that till recently, perhaps the Taiwanese can be offered an American passport  similar to the British passports offered to Hong Kong resident's

They could all go to work in the brand new chip manufacturing plants that Biden is building :tongue:

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Yes, when are the self-appointed, answerable to no one dictators in Beijing going to walk away and hand rule of the rest of China over to the democratically elected leaders of Taiwan?

Certainly Taiwan---if it wanted to claim sovereignty over the mainland---has every right to do so, at least equal to Beijing, whose commie govt has ruled Taiwan for a total of zero seconds since the commie takeover of the mainland.

Whether or not to join the all-controlling, corrupt, lying muthafukka mainland (remember, "One Country; Two Systems"?) should be solely up to the free people of Taiwan, and neither Beijing nor any white devil man should have any say in the matter.

Your first sentence already branded you and the way you think so the rest of your post carries no credibility with me.

Having said that, I do agree with the last part of your last sentence. So tell me why those white devils across the pond can’t mind their own business? 

7 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Myanmar---for all its faults---is an ASEAN member, but an official map of China, as on the wall of the office of now-jailed Bo Xilai, had Myanmar as part of the "Middle Kingdom" (sic). Seems a little presumptuous, although China did build a 13,000 ft runway at the airport in Mandalay, so as to be able to accommodate a fully-loaded Chinese military transport aircraft.

The part about the map was told to me by the late Henry Kissinger, so I am going by his statement.

Nixon actually showed me the map and admitted that Kissinger drew on it with his sharpie, much like Trump did on another map.

• Haha 1