You have to have a motorbike

georgegeorgia

On 5/7/2024 at 9:50 AM, georgegeorgia said:

LK metro

If you can afford to keep going there then a change of baht buses will have to do.  At least you will see a wider range of people and have less to do with police and road rash!

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

My experience is not the same as yours. I don't know what you would spend for a scooter but for this price you'll find even a very reliable VW or Audi or any Toyota of course🙏. And you buy safety 

What? You think you can buy an Audi for the same price as a scooter, are you even in Thailand 😆 

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

What? You think you can buy an Audi for the same price as a scooter, are you even in Thailand 😆 

Sorry, I just checked the prices for a new scooter. Yes, that's equivalent.

However, if you're going for a second hand car you would have to spend at least 3 times more than for a 2. Hand scooter. My apologies 

• Confused 3

On 5/7/2024 at 12:06 PM, James105 said:

I'd feel a bit trapped in the condo if I didn't have a bike. 

How you would feel if trapped in a coffin?

(Sure, you wouldn't feel anything. Game over😂)

newbee2022 has been getting a ribbing (from me) because of his comments...   however, respectfully, he wasn't wrong... 

There is an Audi in Thailand for the price to a scooter... 

... 30 years old...  Musty stink is free...   not sure I'd want to travel in it though... 

image.thumb.png.728048fae18a0e7cfabfec34a2ed387b.png

But...  If someone is willing to be a bit more realistic - spending 250,000 baht can get you a vehicle which wouldn't brake down every day...    and he is of course right...  its safer than a motorcycle, but no one is disputing that motorcycles aren't more unsafe than cars... 

Of course, in a city such as Pattaya, the parking becomes an issue... 

... We're just disputing the ridiculousness of the sweeping generalisation and statements made that imply a degree certainty that riding a motorcycle WILL kill you... 

image.thumb.png.9d34a5452499183efd718a4316bafc96.png

• Like 2

On 5/7/2024 at 10:30 AM, georgegeorgia said:

Very true if I moved to Pattaya 

Location to supermarkets ,bookshops ,cafes etc 

But....sometimes you want to travel a bit more 

Having no form of transport is difficult...but one may have to adapt to that 

Get a car.  

If you are too old to drive get a car and hire a driver.  

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Pattaya is quite walkable and many expats look like they could use the exercise.

On the odd occasion that one needs to venture farther than their feet will carry them, Grab and Bolt are fine budget-wise.

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Get a car.  

If you are too old to drive get a car and hire a driver.  

Which shows a true understanding of an average Pattaya retiree living on a pension..  :whistling:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Pattaya is quite walkable and many expats look like they could use the exercise.

On the odd occasion that one needs to venture farther than their feet will carry them, Grab and Bolt are fine budget-wise.

Isn't heat and issue ?...    In Bangkok whenever I walk more than 500m I'm already sweating at an uncomfortable level. 

Its not about the exercise, I play 2 hrs of football (2x per week)...  and don't mind the heat so much then.. 

Pattaya is only 'quite walkable' for those living in a very central location...  but then in other threads I read of complaints of the noise when living in central areas (walkable)...    

Re the OP and the scenario you state, Jomtien to LK Metro is easy on a baht bus with minimal walking, off at Kiss on 2nd road and a short walk down Soi Diana, on the way back you take one along Buakow and change at the school right beside the ones heading back up the hill, don't know what is difficult about that. The same applies to any central location really using the baht bus.

I can't ride a motorcycle and I hate being a passenger on them as I just find it a horrible experience, I doubt I've been on them more than 10 times reluctantly in 25 years.  I've got a car which I use less and less due to the increase in traffic over the years, but since it's cheap to tax/insure and maintain it still serves its purpose of convenience for early morning supermarket runs and one off trips to the hospital, places off the main drags etc. I chose to live on the main baht bus route between Jomtien and Pattaya, most times I'm going into Pattaya for a drink so a motorbike wouldn't be an option anyway. If I want comfort or I know traffic is bad Bolt is a great inexpensive option. If I didn't have a car and wanted to travel further away for a break I'd probably just hire a car for the trip. 

Between walking around the main Jomtien beach area, baht buses when I need to go into Pattaya and Bolt for comfort and convenience for trickier locations or busy weekends I wouldn't find the lack of a motorcycle or car a problem. For me the most important decision for enjoyable long term living is getting your accomodation choice right, and it's location with regard to the transport options is a major part of that decision, get that wrong and you'll cause yourself unneccessary grief and hassle.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2024 at 12:06 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Those riding 'bigger motorcycles' are most commonly those with the best safety kit... 

That's an odd way to describe a small penis.

Edited by shdmn
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, shdmn said:
On 5/9/2024 at 10:06 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Those riding 'bigger motorcycles' are most commonly those with the best safety kit... 

That's an odd way to describe a small penis.

Yet you found such a clear way of expressing that you have a small childish brain !!!... 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Thailand has freeways ?

Define a freeway🤔 Maybe it is simply a question of language. We may all think we speak the same language but...

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

I drive on motorways here, daily.

Never seen a "freeway".

I'm a Yank, it's all the same to me, and simply a 'highway', unless called an 'interstate' (province) highway, then I don't expect any cross traffic.   Something TH lacks, with very few exception.

They are sticking in more over/underpasses, but won't be done in my time.   Lucky to average 80 kph on any 4-6 hr road trip on the highways here.

Not that many actually restrict scooters, <??? cc, and mostly elevated and or toll roads here.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

I'm a Yank, it's all the same to me, and simply a 'highway', unless called an 'interstate' (province) highway, then I don't expect any cross traffic.   Something TH lacks, with very few exception.

They are sticking in more over/underpasses, but won't be done in my time.   Lucky to average 80 kph on any 4-6 hr road trip on the highways here.

Not that many actually restrict scooters, <??? cc, and mostly elevated and or toll roads here.

Rarely do I drive highways here.