Expect Increase in COVID-19 Cases as School Term Approaches

Thankfully COVID is not as strong and deadly as the first 2 or 3 strains.  It seems to be more contagious though,

I bet more masks will be worn again. Oh the horror.  

12 hours ago, stoner said:

ok john 1 died. what is your point ?

Dare to say that to that kids' parents in face? Would you accept such complete lack of empathy if it was your loved one who died?

Stoner's [put your most favourite person in here] gets ran over by a speeding van going through red light, driven by a drunk. OK, 1 dead. So what?

You're OK with that?

25 minutes ago, Stargeezr said:

Thankfully COVID is not as strong and deadly as the first 2 or 3 strains.  It seems to be more contagious though,

I bet more masks will be worn again. Oh the horror.  

Interestinly mask wearing where I am has been way lower than I've seen for a long time. Having said this students will more than likely be made to wear them again when basically nobody else is and that there has been no scientific evidence to prove their efficay.  The cheap medical masks are useless. The virus is if some don't know very, very, very, very, very, very small so escape from these cheap masks is guaranteed. Then you get the ones who pull down their masks to sneeze. students all sitting together eating lunch coughing and spitting. Yep. Make them where masks. It's a joke.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Dare to say that to that kids' parents in face? Would you accept such complete lack of empathy if it was your loved one who died?

Stoner's [put your most favourite person in here] gets ran over by a speeding van going through red light, driven by a drunk. OK, 1 dead. So what?

You're OK with that?

it's not a lack of empathy at all. i am ok with it. where is the lockdown for pm2.5 for children. ?which in the same time period killed 3x as many thai as covid did. even if you 3x the numbers it is only then on par. 

i don't see anything near the hysteria for pm2.5 as i did for covid. so spare me your i support the latest cause routine. 

so there's that for empathy. 

• Agree 2

43 minutes ago, stoner said:

it's not a lack of empathy at all. i am ok with it. where is the lockdown for pm2.5 for children. ?which in the same time period killed 3x as many thai as covid did. even if you 3x the numbers it is only then on par. 

i don't see anything near the hysteria for pm2.5 as i did for covid. so spare me your i support the latest cause routine. 

so there's that for empathy. 

I cannot disagree with that 🙏

35 minutes ago, connda said:

Because some people continue to be completely obsessed when it comes to Covid and as such, they can only focus on Covid at the exclusion of every other cause of sickness and death.  What do they ignore?  Everything else that can cause fatalities and "dis-ease" in the human population. 

So when rational people begin to get tired of the constant hype - then they go for - "Think About The Children Dying Of Covid."  Yeah - it really is disingenuous.  In comparison, think about the children killed and injured on almost a daily basis on motorcycles, think about the children killed and injured on almost a daily basis by other children and other adults, think about the children killed or injured by every possible communicable disease known to man, think about the children dying in war-torn countries.

But?

:angry: "Look!  Covid killed this child.  Covid is SPECIAL."

No, Covid is no longer "special."  It's just another endemic, relatively common, flu-like, disease that has the same potential to cause sickness, and in some cases death --  just like other endemic, relatively common, flu-like diseases which have the potential to cause sickness, and in some cases death: influenza, RSV, pneumonia (viral or bacterial), TB, dengue, or even the 'common cold.' A common cold can kill someone if the person has co-comorbidities and other health issues or just a weak immune system.  Then we can get into the deaths caused by accidents, crime, war - and just the fact that the bodies of living animals, including humans, eventually wear out and die.

It's just that some people simply can't let go of "The Pandemic" which quite literally defined their lives - it gave their lives meaning - for three years as they championed lock-downs, masking, and "emergency use authorized" shots.  And now they wish to irrationally maintain and promote the same level of fear and hyperbole - where there simply is no longer a rational cause for fear - when compared to all of the other things within human existence that have the capability to kill you. 

And as author Chuck Palahniuk wrote in his book, Fight Club, "On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

Come on kids, come back and join the rest of us in "The Old Normal."  Ditch the fear and get back to living your lives.  Something IS going to kill you - for sure, it's gonna happen.  But it is not healthy to obsess over your mortality.  So let's get back to being Bobby McFerrin: "Don't Worry, Be Happy."  Now start living again!  Let it go!   :thumbsup:

Well said and I agree but why are people hanging on to this is another valid question. Let me posit an answer. Big Pharma. Big Pharma wants this drawn out as much as possible to continue selling their jabs and it's the WHO, governments and access media that is doing their advertising in the guise of fear mongering. Sadly though many still blindly believe what they are told and have no capacity to challenge the narrative.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, connda said:

Please provide a source for your assertion as per forum rules.  Thanks!

"Long COVID is defined as a multisystem disease that have a devastating effect on any organ system, with potentially lifelong consequences. Rates of long COVID among people who have contracted SARS-CoV-2 vary controversially between studies and regions, from about 10 percent to a staggering 50 percent of people who’ve had the virus reported as having long term symptoms."

https://www.unmc.edu/healthsecurity/transmission/2023/12/27/every-covid-infection-increases-your-risk-of-long-covid-study-warns/

At least 14% of Americans have long COVID, research suggests

The researchers found that nearly half (47%) of people surveyed reported having had COVID-19 at some point, while 14% of the total had had long COVID at some point, half of whom (7% of the total) still had long COVID symptoms when answering the survey.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2023-11-americans-covid.html

Almost a third of COVID survivors report symptoms 2 years post-infection

meta-analysis of 12 studies shows that 30% of COVID-19 survivors have persistent symptoms 2 years after infection, the most common of which are fatigue, cognitive problems, and pain.

For the study, published yesterday in the Journal of Infection, an international team led by a researcher from Universidad Rey Juan Carlos in Madrid, Spain, searched the literature for observational and case-control studies of long COVID 2 years after infection.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/almost-third-covid-survivors-report-symptoms-2-years-post-infection

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

I am slightly confused as to your point. How do you plan on stopping 'continuous' infections?

By using common sense based on scientific facts.

Cleaning the air would be a good start. HEPAs to schools. Respirators to hospitals. Testing, sharing correct information about being infected.

It's not even expensive. Sickness absences would decrease. Good for the economy.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Jim Jum said:

There are hundreds of scientific studies on this. New studies almost every week.

The problem is that people don't want to believe the facts.

https://www.zotero.org/groups/5006109/covidstudies/library

No.  You made a statement that 10% of people who contract Covid get "long Covid."  The link you supplied links to a large number of Covid studies, but not to a study supporting your comment.  Please provide a link to the study that supports your assertion. 

It's only fair that we all play by the same forum rules. 

Per the forum's rules: "In factual areas such as news forums and current affairs topics member content that is claimed or portrayed as a fact should be supported by a link to a relevant reputable source."

If I make an assertion, I have to back my assertion with the link to a study that supports my assertion or else the post is taken down.  Fairness is a level playing field.  What I believe is irrelevant - I just want us all playing by the same rules.

So - please supply a link to your assertion that "At least 10% percent of infections leads to long covid."  Thanks!

Edited by connda
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, dinsdale said:

I would be interested to know how many with long covid have been vaccinated and how many times and how many have not been vaccinated at all. I wouid not be interested in CDC or WHO stats.

Why not study scientific studies then? (You might also notice that Long Covid existed before vaccines.)

4 minutes ago, connda said:

No.  You made a statement that 10% of people who contract Covid get "long Covid."  The link you supplied links to a large number of Covid studies, but not to a study supporting your comment.  Please provide a link to the study that supports your assertion. 

It's only fair that we all play by the same forum rules.  If I make an assertion, I have to back my assertion with the link to a study that supports my assertion or else the post is taken down.  Fairness is a level playing field.  What I believe is irrelevant - I just want us all playing by the same rules.

So - please supply a link to your assertion that "At least 10% percent of infections leads to long covid."  Thanks!

I noticed there are links to studies already in this thread. Did you check them? If I offer you links to studies, you probably won't even read them. That is the problem. Data is available for everyone.

Also expect low to zero increase in fatalities and a renewed call for authoritarian measures to "save the elderly"  or whatever they can do to prop up booster sales.  

4 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I would be interested to know how many with long covid have been vaccinated and how many times and how many have not been vaccinated at all. I wouid not be interested in CDC or WHO stats.

Review estimates 69% 3-dose vaccine efficacy against long COVID

A meta-analysis today in Antimicrobial Stewardship & Healthcare Epidemiology estimates a vaccine effectiveness (VE) of 69% for three doses of COVID-19 vaccine against long COVID, while two doses offer 37% efficacy.

Led by researchers at the University of Iowa, the meta-analysis involved 24 studies on COVID-19 VE against long COVID among recipients of at least two doses of a vaccine before or after infection from December 2019 to June 2023.

Much lower long-COVID prevalence among vaccinated

The pooled prevalence of long COVID was 11.8% among unvaccinated participants and 5.3% among recipients of at least two vaccine doses. 

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/review-estimates-69-3-dose-vaccine-efficacy-against-long-covid

The effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines to prevent long COVID symptoms: staggered cohort study of data from the UK, Spain, and Estonia

"Vaccination against COVID-19 consistently reduced the risk of long COVID symptoms, which highlights the importance of vaccination to prevent persistent COVID-19 symptoms, particularly in adults."

To our knowledge, this is the first multinational study to assess population-level vaccine effectiveness to prevent long COVID symptoms. Our study of more than 10 million vaccinated people and 10 million unvaccinated people, showed that COVID-19 vaccination reduces the risk of developing long COVID. Our findings were consistent across three different European countries and four databases, covering different health-care settings and national health-care policies. All vaccines reduced the risk of developing long COVID symptoms, with BNT162b2 showing slightly better effectiveness than ChAdOx1.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(23)00414-9/fulltext#

12 minutes ago, Jim Jum said:

By using common sense based on scientific facts.

Cleaning the air would be a good start. HEPAs to schools. Respirators to hospitals. Testing, sharing correct information about being infected.

It's not even expensive. Sickness absences would decrease. Good for the economy.

Is mask wearing able to stop the spread of Omicron a scientific fact? If you say yes, please cite supporting evidence.

2 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

If I was a Gen-Z university student studying Life Sciences, that question would make an excellent topic for a study and a thesis. 

Personally I'd like to know the number of "doctor diagnosed cases" of "Long Covid" between "vaccinated" and "unvaccinated" groups preferably broken down by the number of shots/boosters and the type(s) of Covid "vaccinations" that the "vaccinated" patients received. 

It would be an interesting study as I often wonder if the horse is in front of the cart, or the cart is in front of the horse.   I'm just saying that in the group of unvaccinated people whom I know in the US (which is most of my family and friends), anecdotally, I personally don't know anyone who is complaining of "Long Covid" after they contracted Covid.  And I know very few people, "vaccinated" or "unvaccinated" for Sars-Cov-2, who did not eventually contract Covid.  Most people I know did get Covid. 

12 minutes ago, connda said:

No.  You made a statement that 10% of people who contract Covid get "long Covid." 

The challenge for supporting evidence you made has already been answered above:

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, connda said:

Personally I'd like to know the number of "doctor diagnosed cases" of "Long Covid" between "vaccinated" and "unvaccinated" groups preferably broken down by the number of shots/boosters and the type(s) of Covid "vaccinations" that the "vaccinated" patients received. 

Again, answered above:

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Is mask wearing able to stop the spread of Omicron a scientific fact? If you say yes, please cite supporting evidence.

Reduce, yes.

Study finds lifting mask mandates led to thousands of new COVID cases in Mass. schools

Updated  November 10, 2022

Massachusetts school districts that lifted mask mandates immediately after the state relaxed its requirement in February saw far more COVID-19 cases than districts that retained the policy voluntarily, according to a new study published Wednesday in the New England Journal of Medicine.

The new research from authors at Harvard University, Boston University and the Boston Public Health Commission provides evidence for supporters of mask mandates as they call for school districts to enact protections against future surges.

The study's authors say their results clearly show masks prevent transmission of COVID-19 in classrooms.

https://www.wgbh.org/news/local/2022-11-09/study-finds-lifting-mask-mandates-led-to-thousands-of-new-covid-cases-in-mass-schools

15 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Wrong!

Thai MoPH just reported the COVID death of a young child aged 0-4 at the end of last month, in their weekly COVID report for April 21-27:

Screenshot_1.jpg.dcb3e369c0af4f186b97cd8ec8df851e.jpg

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/?dashboard=main

But there are  so many epidemiologists in this forum that think they know better

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Reduce, yes.

Study finds lifting mask mandates led to thousands of new COVID cases in Mass. schools

Updated  November 10, 2022

Massachusetts school districts that lifted mask mandates immediately after the state relaxed its requirement in February saw far more COVID-19 cases than districts that retained the policy voluntarily, according to a new study published Wednesday in the New England Journal of Medicine.

The new research from authors at Harvard University, Boston University and the Boston Public Health Commission provides evidence for supporters of mask mandates as they call for school districts to enact protections against future surges.

The study's authors say their results clearly show masks prevent transmission of COVID-19 in classrooms.

https://www.wgbh.org/news/local/2022-11-09/study-finds-lifting-mask-mandates-led-to-thousands-of-new-covid-cases-in-mass-schools

What this paper doesn't address is the type of mask, how they need to be fitted properly and worn all the time. Schoolkids will be wearing cheap, ill fitting surgical masks that will not be worn throughout the day and will be pulled down if the student sneezes (I know this to be a fact as I've witnessed it myself more times than I can remember). This is the reality on the ground or should I say in schools. There will be a spike in covid I am sure but this is just the nature of viruses especially highly contaigious ones, mask mandate or not.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Queensland's Chief Health Officer says it's time to stop using the term 'long COVID'

In short: New research has found long-term symptoms of COVID-19 are similar to that of other viral infections.

The term "long COVID" should be scrapped, according to Queensland's Chief Health Officer, because it creates unnecessary fear ....

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-15/long-covid-symptoms-queensland-chief-health-officer-john-gerrard/103587836

Yep.  Agreed.  And for all the reasons that Dr Gerrard outlines.  It's good to see that he will be presenting finding to the European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases in Barcelona next month.  As I've stated before, over the long-term as more and more independent1 data and studies are published we will eventually begin to see a larger more comprehensive picture of Covid, the Covid Pandemic, the responses to the Covid Pandemic, and the vaccines and pharmaceuticals used for Sars-Cov-2 infections as well as those which were banned.  On a long enough time-line scientific facts eventually reach escape velocity and punch through marketing, propaganda, and scientific bias.  It's just a matter of time.

1 Independent from major pharmaceutical corporation funding as well as funding from government and quasi-governmental agencies which themselves receive funding from pharmaceutical corporation as it biases the research in favor of the status-quo.

• Agree 1