Which browsers?

I have two browsers on my phone, "Brave" and "Chrome". Brave was my preferred browser. AN now does not work on Brave, it works on Chrome, albeit continuously trying to persuade me to sign up to Tik Tok!

Anyone any idea what has happened?

I have that same strip on my pc and I only use Chrome as a browser. I don't bother try to use my mobile to read AN.

I also use an Ad blocker to block ads on every site that I use.

Now, but only when I am on AN, I get a 90% pop up screen from AN asking me to disable my Ad blocker, but only for AN. as they need Ad subscriptions to pay for the site. I simply click on the little cross and it disappears.

I have nothing against that, but the reason for an Ad blocker is to block ALL ads on EVERY site.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2024 at 3:57 PM, herfiehandbag said:

I have two browsers on my phone, "Brave" and "Chrome". Brave was my preferred browser. AN now does not work on Brave, it works on Chrome, albeit continuously trying to persuade me to sign up to Tik Tok!

Well now, having cleared and re installed "Brave Browser" at least twice, across three platforms, computer, tablet and phone ( my primary means to access this forum) it is clear that AN is blocking access on "Brave". Interesting that the new owners have taken upon themselves to dictate which browser we can use, and have done so without having even the vestigial courtesy to announce it.

Meanwhile on Chrome it is drowning in advertisements for health insurance and bloody tic toc!

Edited by herfiehandbag

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2024 at 5:28 PM, billd766 said:

I have that same strip on my pc and I only use Chrome as a browser. I don't bother try to use my mobile to read AN.

Now, but only when I am on AN, I get a 90% pop up screen from AN asking me to disable my Ad blocker, but only for AN. as they need Ad subscriptions to pay for the site. I simply click on the little cross and it disappears.

I have nothing against that, but the reason for an Ad blocker is to block ALL ads on EVERY site.

Yes, I have the same problems with ADD Block on AN and have to click off every time I view a new topic. But it is a pain in the neck and never happen on any other site. To me it is blackmail or just call what it is SPAM.

Edited by still kicking
Added
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, still kicking said:

Yes, I have the same problems with ADD Block on AN and have to click off every time I view a new topic. But it is a pain in the neck and never happen on any other site. To me it is blackmail or just call what it is SPAM.

On the advice of another poster I uninstalled Ad block and installed uBlock (also free) in its place, and the problem went away.

On 5/9/2024 at 11:57 AM, herfiehandbag said:

I use Brave...  It works on my Phone and on my LapTop... 

The issue is on your side...   Re-install Brave and try again ?

21 hours ago, Hummin said:

Impossible to read this forum again because of ads. 

Chrome browser

Screenshot_20240518_093935_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6ed3d7a532aa2aa8bfa548c9e58fa8a9.jpgScreenshot_20240518_093935_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6ed3d7a532aa2aa8bfa548c9e58fa8a9.jpg

Screenshot_20240518_094013_Chrome.jpg

Try uBlock as an extension to Chrome and your problem may go away. 

On 5/9/2024 at 3:57 PM, herfiehandbag said:

AN now does not work on Brave

Yes it does, both Windows and Android

On 5/9/2024 at 4:28 PM, billd766 said:

Try uBlock origin, it blocks everything

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, still kicking said:

I tried but can't download it 

What do you mean can't download, a browser extension is not a downloadable programme!?

You go to your browser's extensions menu and click add/search whatever and then type in the name of the extension you want!

PS What browser are you using?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

What do you mean can't download, a browser extension is not a downloadable programme!?

You go to your browser's extensions menu and click add/search whatever and then type in the name of the extension you want!

PS What browser are you using?

Seems to work now 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, still kicking said:

I tried but can't download it 

Try going to the search bar of your browser and type uBlock origin.

That should give you the url for uBlock. You then need to click onto the uBlock link for your browser, Chrome, Edge, Firefox etc. That should give you the instructions on how to set it up as an extension on whichever browser you are using.

It is free.

I am not sure it can be done if you are using a VPN, but you should be able to disable the VPN for long enough to install uBlock, then re-enable the VPN, if you are using one.

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Try going to the search bar of your browser and type uBlock origin.

That should give you the url for uBlock. You then need to click onto the uBlock link for your browser, Chrome, Edge, Firefox etc. That should give you the instructions on how to set it up as an extension on whichever browser you are using.

It is free.

I am not sure it can be done if you are using a VPN, but you should be able to disable the VPN for long enough to install uBlock, then re-enable the VPN, if you are using one.

Maybe you haven't read my reply yet I installed it, and it is working now 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Maybe you haven't read my reply yet I installed it, and it is working now 

At the time I was doing other jobs and I didn't read your post until after I replied to the thread.

My apologies.

I am glad that you managed it though.

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

At the time I was doing other jobs and I didn't read your post until after I replied to the thread.

My apologies.

I am glad that you managed it though.

It's OK I am glad you mentioned the website.

• Thumbs Up 1