Multiple entry tourist visa

Hi! Does anyone know how long one must be away from Thailand until it is possible to apply for a new multiple entry tourist visa?

I am aware that I will need to apply from my home country. But would 1-2 months out of Thailand be enough to re-apply for the same visa again.

My previous time in Thailand is extensive on different visas. Would that affect their decisions as well or can't they even see that at the Thai embassy abroad?

Thanks in advance! 😊

59 minutes ago, 12Gon said:

Hi! Does anyone know how long one must be away from Thailand until it is possible to apply for a new multiple entry tourist visa?

I am aware that I will need to apply from my home country. But would 1-2 months out of Thailand be enough to re-apply for the same visa again.

My previous time in Thailand is extensive on different visas. Would that affect their decisions as well or can't they even see that at the Thai embassy abroad?

Thanks in advance! 😊

I'd assume that the Thai embassy has access to their own countries immigration records if the need arose

3 hours ago, Chivas said:

I'd assume that the Thai embassy has access to their own countries immigration records if the need arose

Thank, would that affect their decision? Seems not really to be an issue of one goes back to the home country again. If staying around south East Asia it seems to be a big issue though.

Is there a minimum time that one has to be out of the country to be able to re apply for a multiple entry tourist visa?

Posted (edited)

Hard to say.  In the past I have gotten a METV evisa in consecutive years but with at least six months between.  1 or 2 I don't know.  May just depend on the Embassy/Consulate and how the guy is feeling that day.  It's worth a try in my opinion.  All they can do is say no.  Then on to plan B.

Edited by sabaiguy
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I’ve had two consecutive METVs from UK.

Think there was about 3 or 4 months between returning and applying again.

If what Bigt3116 says is correct that they can’t see your immigration records then they wouldn’t know time between returning and applying because the system didn’t request travel history when I applied for the second METV (online e-visa).

As Tod mentions, there was a thread about someone being questioned or maybe even refused by immigration at the airport with an METV although I’ve only gone through smoothly personally.

Please report back on how you get on. I intend to try for a third METV in a few months, again with about 3 months in home country between.

I’m hoping this is repeatable long term - I can earn enough in 3 months in the U.K. to live comfortably in Thailand and SE Asia for 9 months without working or touching savings and not old enough for retirement visa yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, sabaiguy said:

Hard to say.  In the past I have gotten a METV evisa in consecutive years but with at least six months between.  1 or 2 I don't know.  May just depend on the Embassy/Consulate and how the guy is feeling that day.  It's worth a try in my opinion.  All they can do is say no.  Then on to plan B.

They can only say no and keep your £150 application money. Ali Baba has nothing on these thieving bar stewards 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Chalky0w said:

As Tod mentions, there was a thread about someone being questioned or maybe even refused by immigration at the airport with an METV although I’ve only gone through smoothly personally.

This is a bit scary. Especially since last time a flew in I was questioned by the immigration officer. This have never happened before when I have had a visa. On visa exempt I have gotten a few simple questions before. But this time she was serious and even wanted to see photos of my gf etc. 

So even if I have the correct visa it seems like the immigration officer has the right to stop me from entering Thailand? This can't be common and only happens to people who behave very badly when questioned or could it happen to anyone regardless of nice behaviour or not?

1 hour ago, 12Gon said:

This is a bit scary. Especially since last time a flew in I was questioned by the immigration officer. This have never happened before when I have had a visa. On visa exempt I have gotten a few simple questions before. But this time she was serious and even wanted to see photos of my gf etc. 

So even if I have the correct visa it seems like the immigration officer has the right to stop me from entering Thailand? This can't be common and only happens to people who behave very badly when questioned or could it happen to anyone regardless of nice behaviour or not?

https://aseannow.com/topic/1318940-metv-effectively-rescinded-at-don-mueang/

Found the thread. They were questioned and a note put in their passport apparently.

I found it scary as well. I’ve always gone through without questions including via Don Mueang last time when I’ve probably spent a similar amount of time in Thailand or more.

- It may be because the original person was over 60 so had non-O option (I’m under 50 so don’t)??

- Might be individual immigration officer having a bad day??

- Might be the persons behaviour or appearance??

- Might be travel history and perceived affluence - they came from Laos (known to be cheap) and I came from Singapore (not cheap) so perception I might spend more money in Thailand??

- Or other reason??

I know they have the right to turn you away even with a visa but would love to know what can influence that decision.

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, Chalky0w said:

I know they have the right to turn you away even with a visa but would love to know what can influence that decision.

Just one persons opinion...

I believe it's not just time spent in Thailand but even more the time spent out of Thailand.

In OP,s previous threads has indicated extensive stays ongoing in Thailand since 2019.8

Has used Ed visa , tourist visas including current METV.

Has also had the notorious non O volunteering and many visa exempt.

Now asking about advice re another METV after one month out of Thailand. Asking a question no one can answer. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Chalky0w said:

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Just one persons opinion...

Dr.Jack. Do you mean that what ChalkyOw is saying isn't correct? They they dont have the right to turn you away if you have the correct visa?

Edited by 12Gon

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Now asking about advice re another METV after one month out of Thailand. Asking a question no one can answer. 

True that I have not gotten a 100% sure answer. But it has thought me and probably several others a bit of useful stuff. For example that some embassies use the only one METV per year. 

16 minutes ago, 12Gon said:

Dr.Jack. Do you mean that what ChalkyOw is saying isn't correct? They they dont have the right to turn you away if you have the correct visa?

No.

I was referring to my take on entry to Thailand with history of long ongoing stay in Thailand.

Granted some of yours is due to the covid amnesty etc.

@Chalky0w is correct.

Even with a valid Visa you can be refused entry.

Examples of this occured at Bangkok airports 2019.

Granted it's not common. 

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, 12Gon said:

But it has thought me and probably several others a bit of useful stuff. For example that some embassies use the only one METV per year

That is a given.

Some embassies do not even do back to back SETV and people tend to apply at various embassies. 

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

That is a given.

Some embassies do not even do back to back SETV and people tend to apply at various embassies. 

Thanks, I assume that is only the surrounding countries that refuse back to back tourist visas or does that also happen in Europe, UK and North America?

7 minutes ago, 12Gon said:

Thanks, I assume that is only the surrounding countries that refuse back to back tourist visas or does that also happen in Europe, UK and North America?

Correct. 

I was thinking places eg PP Cambodia.

As you correctly pointed out...

METV is meant to be applied for in own country or country where you have legal residence. 

• Thumbs Up 1