Why isn't Philippines the upcoming

I have been living some recent years in both Countries.

Philippines have been under Spanish colonization for centuries and -similarly to Indonesia under Dutch colonialism- they did not develop properly unlike the rest of SEA, being more crushed and exploited rather than developed. The Japanese and American did add the cherry on the cake in more recent times.

Furthermore the Country is scattered in thousands of islands and very mountainous, battered by earthquakes and typhoons hence, agriculturally and industrially, more difficult to develop. Thailand is more fertile, flat, stable and peacefully developed into a powerful rice and fruit farming Country since centuries.

People in Thailand also feel themselves profoundly and proudly Thai - one language, one Kingdom, very old traditions. Filipinos until 1900 did not even have a single language.

All this led to very slow development pace, unemployment being still high, double digit in some areas if compared to less then 1% in Thailand which is actually importing labors from neighboring Countries. Manila has been for decades a collector of unemployed desperate people and is now filled by shanty towns (anyone ever heard about HappyLand in Tondo?) around a super wealthy CBDs (Makati and BGC).

I also see Thailand, Singapore, Vietnam, Malaysia much faster in decision making especially on infrastructures - still somehow corrupt (Th and Vn) but with stronger decision making leaders in charge.  

PH have a great potential as the Country is super beautiful for tourism, language never a barrier and people are friendly, happy, smart and educated (great Universities there), will surely improve giving some time.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Jackbenimble said:

they're not sought after because of their English..........it's because they're cheap. Their spoken English in general is quite good but their grammar and spelling is atrocious. 

YOU must be from Philippines to suggest filipinos speak better English than English people lol. 

I'm not from the Philippines, but I have lived there for many years.

Let's not start on English grammar. It's impossible to solve. No one can agree on sentence structure. There are more exceptions than rules in English. Grammar (and spelling) Nazis are a dime a dozen on most forums.

It's not about how good their English grammar (or spelling) is, but how well they are understood in conversational English.

Let's take some examples of English dialects that many English speakers (as a first or second language) around the world would have trouble with:

Geordie, Scouse, Brummie, Cockney, Welsh, Yorkshire, Irish, Scottish, Cheshire, Estuary English, Indian English, South African English...

Put them in a call centre and see how well they are understood in OTHER countries. American English and its Filipino English derivative are generally the most easily understood dialects.

You'll note I mentioned Indian English. There would be an endless availability of cheaply hired Indian English speakers, but no one can understand them. The same goes for English speakers in other "cheap labour" countries.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, thecyclist said:

Filipinas have become more similar to the Thai chick's in regard to their focus on money over the years. 30 years ago way better than their Thai counterparts,  now a lot less so.

Yeah I would agree to a certain extent but it's still behind. Indoctrination by social media which leads to envy is just what it is. But if in your reality - not on social media - everybody has an Iphone (or something else of 'status') you are forced to follow, if everybody around you just has an $100 phone, it won't matter as much.

6 hours ago, cdemundo said:

2 points:

-Christianity  For who is this a plus?

- Less prostitution You can't be serious.

Christianity is a plus for me, the guy who made the list.

Of course the Phillipines has less prostitution. Just compare Angeles vs. Pattaya.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, NicoBKK said:

I have been living some recent years in both Countries.

Philippines have been under Spanish colonization for centuries and -similarly to Indonesia under Dutch colonialism- they did not develop properly unlike the rest of SEA, being more crushed and exploited rather than developed. The Japanese and American did add the cherry on the cake in more recent times.

Furthermore the Country is scattered in thousands of islands and very mountainous, battered by earthquakes and typhoons hence, agriculturally and industrially, more difficult to develop. Thailand is more fertile, flat, stable and peacefully developed into a powerful rice and fruit farming Country since centuries.

People in Thailand also feel themselves profoundly and proudly Thai - one language, one Kingdom, very old traditions. Filipinos until 1900 did not even have a single language.

All this led to very slow development pace, unemployment being still high, double digit in some areas if compared to less then 1% in Thailand which is actually importing labors from neighboring Countries. Manila has been for decades a collector of unemployed desperate people and is now filled by shanty towns (anyone ever heard about HappyLand in Tondo?) around a super wealthy CBDs (Makati and BGC).

I also see Thailand, Singapore, Vietnam, Malaysia much faster in decision making especially on infrastructures - still somehow corrupt (Th and Vn) but with stronger decision making leaders in charge.  

PH have a great potential as the Country is super beautiful for tourism, language never a barrier and people are friendly, happy, smart and educated (great Universities there), will surely improve giving some time.

Once the US has no more money to finance the warmongering against China, it will let the Phillipines go and it can align it self with China and China will flood it with money because of the cheap work force. We can only hope the mad brute, the US, will sink sooner than later. But it will.

• Sad 1

I spent 1 night in Manilla and that was enough for me. You can smell danger in the air. 

Ultra tight security in the hotel lobby, including a big metal detector arch to check guests for guns. 

Manilla would need to have something really special to make up for the heightened security and risk of muggings etc. I didn't find anything special there. 

I've never felt unsafe in BKK

• Agree 2

23 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Were they kind of neck-and-neck around 2000 but Bangkok has moved far ahead on urban development ?

I remeber visiting both around that time, and it seemed they were not much different.

No, not even close. I first visited Thailand in 2005 after 5 years full-time in the Philippines. I went back, packed my bags and never looked back.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

That's what you think, and what they want you to think. They are just better at playing the game in the Philippines, making you believe they are not in it just for the money. The Thai girls are usually too straightforward with demands and too obvious for everyone except newbies who can't see past the sex.

They want more than Thai chicks. They want to live overseas. Once they get there, they'll kick your sorry a**ses to the curb LOL. Even if that wasn't originally their plan, once they see the opportunities available to them in Farangland, it becomes a plan. Even if the girl doesn't see it, her Filipino compatriots from the Filipino community networks abroad will teach her everything she needs to know.

Old, rich foreigners are their Holy Grail. The closer to death, the better. One friend of my wife used to feed her US husband in the States the fattiest of foods hoping he'd get a heart attack, and they laugh about this. Mothers teach their daughters to marry old foreigners suggesting they can still play with Filipinos. Filipinos put on a kind face, but they can be extremely nasty and heartless.

You should add a disclaimer that you got divorced from a Filipina with whom you stayed 30+ years together. That might help people understand the bias against the Phillipines.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, AreYouGerman said:

You should add a disclaimer that you got divorced from a Filipina with whom you stayed 30+ years together. That might help people understand the bias against the Phillipines.

Not 30+ years, it was 20 years. This didn't end up with a bad divorce. I picked a very good one.

I'm too old for her, so I let her go. She wants children, I don't. I knew it would come down to this in the end and I'm ok with it. She still has some child-bearing years left so she needs to get on with it. We are still friends.

This has nothing to do with any bias but everything to do with what I learned from her family and community over a long period of time. I have deep knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes with her friends, cousins and everyone else in her community. Many live abroad. You'll never discover what really goes on, and even if you do, it'll probably be too late. You seem to know more, so good luck to you.

Before this one, I made a number of bad relationship choices. I can't count how many Filipinos I've "dated". I could write a book about my mistakes there in my newbie years, and I started older than you are now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JensenZ said:

Not 30+ years, it was 20 years. This didn't end up with a bad divorce. I picked a very good one.

I'm too old for her, so I let her go. She wants children, I don't. I knew it would come down to this in the end and I'm ok with it. She still has some child-bearing years left so she needs to get on with it. We are still friends.

This has nothing to do with any bias but everything to do with what I learned from her family and community over a long period of time. I have deep knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes with her friends, cousins and everyone else in her community. Many live abroad. You'll never discover what really goes on, and even if you do, it'll probably be too late. You seem to know more, so good luck to you.

Before this one, I made a number of bad relationship choices. I can't count how many Filipinos I've "dated". I could write a book about my mistakes there in my newbie years, and I started older than you are now.

I know that I can't take your experience as a fact as 'how it is'. All what you have written isn't Phillipines specific. All this gossip is prevalent in Thailand. Try to live a year in some rural Isaan village and you will hear the exact same stories.

In my comparison list between Thai girls vs Filipinas I have listed already that money is a factor for Filipinas as well. It would be absolutely delusional to think otherwise. However, Thai women are like, "build me a house in Nahkon Nowhere and I will marry you" while Filipinas having a more humanely approach, with affection showering manipulations and so.

I am absolutely okay with some sort of allowance. My uncle who works as a manager in the German car industry still pays his wife an allowance. Doesn't feel weird to me.

No Asian girl should be exported back to a Western country. Men can't get a wife in a Western country and then think it's a good idea to bring the Asian wife into that exact environment. It's paradox. They flood them with gifts and build a house and get treated like a dog - basically importing the feminism into Asia. Ridiculous.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, AreYouGerman said:

Of course the Phillipines has less prostitution. Just compare Angeles vs. Pattaya.

Not so sure about that, as per the following:

The report also ranked the countries with the highest number of sex workers. Standing at the top is China, with 5 million workers, followed by India (3 million), the US (1 million), the Philippines (800,000), Mexico (500,000), Germany (400,000), Brazil (250,000), Thailand (250,000), Bangladesh (200,000), and South Korea (147,000).

https://aseannow.com/topic/1326391-thailand-listed-among-top-10-countries-with-highest-number-of-sex-workers-worldwide/

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Not so sure about that, as per the following:

The report also ranked the countries with the highest number of sex workers. Standing at the top is China, with 5 million workers, followed by India (3 million), the US (1 million), the Philippines (800,000), Mexico (500,000), Germany (400,000), Brazil (250,000), Thailand (250,000), Bangladesh (200,000), and South Korea (147,000).

https://aseannow.com/topic/1326391-thailand-listed-among-top-10-countries-with-highest-number-of-sex-workers-worldwide/

Lol. Brazil 250,000. LOL. Thailand 250,000. LOOOL.

Germany says it has 24.000.

https://www.destatis.de/DE/Presse/Pressemitteilungen/2022/07/PD22_277_228.html

Phillpines reported 800,000 14 years ago as well. Nobody knows where the number is coming from.

https://www.dw.com/en/philippines-women-struggling-to-achieve-sexual-equality/a-4465029

Where are those numbers coming from?

?

Random numbers.

Again, compare Pattaya vs. Angeles City.

Edited by AreYouGerman

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, biggles45 said:

1. 70 years ago the populations of Thailand 20M and the Philippines 18.5M were very similar. Today, thanks to the Catholic Church, Thailand has around 72 million and RP has 118 million

Overpopulation isn't a problem. It's a hoax to get Whites to stop getting children (and it works because of feminism).

Look at the demographics of Thailand vs Phillipines. One is unhealthy and doomed (TH) and other one is healthy (PH). Once the Phillipines reaches it's hand to China, it will be showered with Chinese money. It will stay poor if it's still aligned with the US though, as the US has nothing to offer.

thailand-population-pyramid-2020.jpg.7d32251d62184ab8f01e7133d890043d.jpg

philippines-population-pyramid-2020.jpg.d0524b0d0e2e03c2e37fa746017db0cf.jpg

Edited by AreYouGerman
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

4 minutes ago, AreYouGerman said:

Overpopulation isn't a problem. It's a hoax to get Whites to stop getting children (and it works because of feminism).

Who are responsible for that hoax ?

Who are trying to get the White people to not exist anymore ?

• Thumbs Up 1

Last time I was in Manila 2 years ago all the American franchise restaurants all crowded 

Everything was crowded there were just too many people 

The SkyTrain was old and couldn't cope 

Too many people 

Overpopulation 

A good looking young guy will do very well in both countries.

a charming guy funny guy will do well in both countries.

a guy who doesn't mind buying girls affections will do well in both countries.

the problem arises when the last group expect to be treated like the first two groups.

6 hours ago, biggles45 said:

1. 70 years ago the populations of Thailand 20M and the Philippines 18.5M were very similar. Today, thanks to the Catholic Church, Thailand has around 72 million and RP has 118 million.

I know a lot of people like to blame the Catholic Church for the high fertility rate of the Philippines vs Thailand, but the truth is, they really want large families and it is seen as a way out of poverty, which for many, it is. The Catholic Church has little to do with that among the poorer populations which do most of the breeding. Thailand is a much wealthier country with growth more in line with what you see in Western nations.

• Like 1

Removed some posts containing antisemitism, as well as posts quoting it. Using slang to hide it won't save you. Any more and severe action will be taken.

My youth was corrupted when I was sent to Subic to catch my first ship at 18 yrs of age in the mid 70's. This was a golden time in Olongapo. T-shirts proudly labeled it "The Pearl of the Orient" The main drag is Magsaysay and it was a maze of clubs with bands both rock and country. For the next 4 yrs and 3 west pacs I was in heaven. It was a time of Marshall Law which meant all sailors had to be out of the clubs, off the streets and behind doors or back on base by midnight. Walking back across Sh@t River at 2350 the girls were lined up trying to grab hold of the sailors.

OK, back to the present. I give Thailand thumbs up over PI.

• Agree 1

On 5/12/2024 at 10:24 PM, Dioj said:

I only smoke weed that's been eaten by a Labrador first and then pooped back out. It's become the most sort after weed and probably the most expensive because of the curing process 

Isn't that like that 'special' coffee that some rats eat and then crap out?  Sell it for a fortune. There's always some idiot willing to pay a premium for a special product.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, BigBruv said:

Me.

Partnering with people of different faiths (esp. the demonic stuff prevalent in Thailand) is pretty risky.

Let's also not forget that western civilisation was built on the shared values of Christianity.

Western societies been falling apart since Christianity was ditched in the 60s (eg. family disintegration, 25% of

boomer women on antidepressants (UK & US + 12% of boomer men) and so on.

But now we all 'follow the science' and believe in a 'big bang' and that the world and our lives are an accident,

nothing has any meaning, there will be no hell after death etc.

Christianity isn't bad as beliefs go.

I wouldn't believe any of this. We have a direct comparison between "Christianity" in the Philippines and Buddhism in Thailand. There's no doubt that Thailand is a safer place to live with far less crime overall. 

The misunderstanding comes from thinking that most Filipinos are Christians. They aren't really. Catholicism in the Philippines is a weird mix with animism, the predominant religion before the Spanish arrived. It hasn't gone anywhere. Your average provincial dweller has a strong belief in animal spirits and many claim they talk to them. They never stop talking about "white ladies", lighting candles and praying to spirits.  

• Like 1