How much do you fear "THE" Big C?

On 5/16/2024 at 5:57 PM, Ralf001 said:

I did find it concerning when I was diagnosed with it.

I remember the day I was told. I went off sick that day. I only told my boss at work, and no one else ever knew till I had the operation. I was on sick leave for 5 months, and had to gradually increase my work load after I did return to work. Probably affected me for a year physically, and ever since mentally. Not including permanent side effects.

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I remember the day I was told. I went off sick that day. I only told my boss at work, and no one else ever knew till I had the operation. I was on sick leave for 5 months, and had to gradually increase my work load after I did return to work. Probably affected me for a year physically, and ever since mentally. Not including permanent side effects.

Yeah mine (Kidney) was detected in January last year during a emergency scan for a perforated large intesstine but was not told until May I had a 3cm tumor.

By November it was 6cm.

I hadmy surgeon book me in for surgery in December.

Kidney removed and I was back at work in January with an awesome 20cm scar !

Test on the kidney reveal it was malignant but had not yet spread.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/18/2024 at 2:26 PM, Gottfrid said:

How can you post something like that? Predicting when a person should die? Maybe time for you to take a break for posting and thing things over.

Wish the idiot would have a pernament break. Nothing but crap posts.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

No-one looks forward to the pain and heartache of severe illness and death, be it due to Cancer or whatever - but it happens and we all die sometime.

As for cancers, we can be encouraged by medical advances in recent years, particularly in the field of Immunotherapy. In addition to the advent of 'checkpoint inhibitors', (such as Keytruda and Optivo) for late stage cancers, vaccines for treatment are now emerging and show considerable promise.

You may have read of Moderna's mRNA 'personalised' vaccines in recent months and they do show some promise -(their vax is 'personalised' insofaras a sample from a tumour is taken to determine and develop the precise immune agent needed - it's a lengthy process). Personalised vaccines are extremely costly.

A small Company based in Oxford/Nottingham has, for the last 20 years, been developing DNA vaccines and current trials are showing that 'Immunobody' enhances the success of checkpoint inhibitors, broadly from a 50% response to an 80% response. Immunobody vaccines do not need to be personalised, can be used on diagnosis, the application is needle-free and they are much less costly.

Other Companies are working in this field too. Scancell, in whom my interest lies, have the Immunobody vaccines trialing for melanoma stage 3/4, and Moditope, for solid tumours in advanced head and neck, triple negative breast, ovarian and renal cancers. Scancell also have antibody platforms, Glymab and Avidimab in development.

Scancell are just one of the pioneers - you can read more here https://scancell.co.uk/immunobody and https://www.lse.co.uk/rns/SCLP/

Depressing as all thought of cancer and the gruelling current treatments are, maybe, in the near future, the outlook may be brighter ! Stay well all !

(2 baht, just seen yours and wishing you the best).

Edited by TorquayFan

On 5/15/2024 at 4:02 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

Hi Folks...

I do not mean BIG C.

I mean, the John Wayne type of the Big C.

And, how much do you fear it now?

Personally, I do not fear either Big C or THE Big C.

And, I don't even believe in VITAMIN C, in moderate doses.

a.  Do you believe you will die of The Big C?

b.  If not, what do you expect you will die from?

c. Will you die of loneliness even before The Big C cuts you down?

I will not say that John Wayne is, particularly, one of my heroes.

No.

Because, Elon is so much more a hero-type than Wayne.

I do not fear cancer.

At my age, cancer will progress more slowly, simply because my cells are now quite tired, and not so lively.

John Wayne battled The Big C....

For awhile.

But, did John actually DIE due to Cancer?

John lived a full life.

He lost a lung, or two, or three.

Also, might it be possible that he died...due to...radioactivity, rather than his penchant for smoking?

Just HOW AFRAID are you, ...

Of The Big C?

Regards,

Gamma

Get a CHECKUP....

Check yourself for....The Big C...

It's Great to Be Alive....

Cancer is not much fun....especially when....

It happens to others....

Those you love most.

As always, and loving good guys here on the Forum....

Regards,

Gamma G....

Research now finding that the BIG C as well as most other major causes of Health death are lifestyle/diet induced.  Big phama of course (who helps control politicians) loves SICK people but now the researchers are learning that proper foods can be better at preventing and even curing many health problems of today.  The food industries (fake coloring, fake taste, sweetners -sugar and fructose artificial) are too big and will fight the researchers while they use wheelbarrows to carry their profits to the bank.  Many best sellers now available and loads of YouTube health videos.  In my life I have faced the BIG C through my and my first wife (also died of breast cancer) my older daughter (breast cancer but a survivor), father, and 1st wife's mother and father and definitely not any fun whatsoever but as long as big pharma can still make trillions of $$$ in my honest opinion a cure will not be found by their researchers.  Reminds me of the fairy tale of the golden goose eggs. Good luck and good health to all.

• Agree 1

Presnock of course you are right that lifestyle is crucial to the possibilities of remaining healthy as long as possible. You are also right that food industries lead the populace into bad diets wherever they can and that is disastrous.

I am sorry to read that your own Family have suffered so much.

Myself, whilst being cynical of some big Pharma moves, (e.g. the demonising of aspirin), I think you go much too far with this statement, "as long as big pharma can still make trillions of $$$ in my honest opinion a cure will not be found by their researchers."

Pharma do find and will find or acquire other new cures. BUT these new cures should be reasonably priced - the checkpoint inhibitors I mentioned in the last post are VERY expensive - I doubt that this is justified. The Pharmas should make sure that their products are affordable to all those that need them.

As for the 'fairy tale' - have a look through the links in my last - cures ARE BEING found. ATB

I have had four different types of cancer, in different organs. One more, and I'm applying to the Guinness Book of Records.

I am in full remission from all of them, doctors never use the word cured.

I am a fatalist. The only thing I fear is a prolonged agonizing death, not death itself.

• Agree 1

Lacesit - yes, I probably should have posted 'treatment' not 'cure'. However, I believe after 5 years with no progression, the word cured is used. Someone better in the 'know' than I am, might be able to clarify the point.

There's massive activity around 'Immunotherapy' at the moment. And cancer vaccines are definitely in full focus now after a few unsuccessful efforts some years ago. We'll see. ATB

1 hour ago, TorquayFan said:

Lacesit - yes, I probably should have posted 'treatment' not 'cure'. However, I believe after 5 years with no progression, the word cured is used. Someone better in the 'know' than I am, might be able to clarify the point.

There's massive activity around 'Immunotherapy' at the moment. And cancer vaccines are definitely in full focus now after a few unsuccessful efforts some years ago. We'll see. ATB

Immunotherapy has the medical profession's interest, due to its effectiveness.

I was diagnosed with bladder cancer 18 years ago. I was treated with BCG infusion, which introduces live tuberculosis into the bladder over a period of six weeks. AFAIK it was the first successful immunotherapy, although apparently it is still a bit of a mystery how the treatment activates one's immune system.

I was told by my urologist at the time BCG treatment is better than 90% effective in achieving full remission.

There was a time surgery for cancer was like tossing a coin, 50% effective.