Chiang Mai police invoke 10pm curfew after samurai gang rampage

20 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Well I'm not the one who had to refer to an online dictionary in order to define "proactive"   its elementary  Watson

"Krittapon announced that officers had planned a crackdown, intending to visit each residence of the teenage members for questioning and to arrest those found guilty. In addition to these proactive operations, officers would also implement a 10pm curfew starting from May 3 onwards."

Proactive?  I don't think you know what the word means.

I was replying to this post  - note the last line, and I didn't HAVE to refer to an online dictionary - I just thought I would point out the difference to "some people".

2 hours ago, sambum said:

"Krittapon announced that officers had planned a crackdown, intending to visit each residence of the teenage members for questioning and to arrest those found guilty. In addition to these proactive operations, officers would also implement a 10pm curfew starting from May 3 onwards."

Proactive?  I don't think you know what the word means.

I was replying to this post  - note the last line, and I didn't HAVE to refer to an online dictionary - I just thought I would point out the difference to "some people".

To which people?   I believe that what I wrote questioned, correctly, that the word wasn't used correctly.

23 minutes ago, tjintx said:

To which people?   I believe that what I wrote questioned, correctly, that the word wasn't used correctly.

Sorry if you took it to mean yourself! Herewith my reply to your post where you asked :-

"Proactive?  I don't think you know what the word means"

I posted:- 

"From "Vocabulary.com":-

Active means "doing something." The prefix pro- means "before." So if you are proactive, you are ready before something happens. The opposite is being reactive, or waiting for things to unfold before responding."

And my last sentence:- 

"Don't know what the word means"? Correct!"

So I was in actual fact agreeing with you, but a certain poster began insinuating (in bad English!) that I needed a dictionary to get the definition, which was not the case, it was just to prove your/our point.

My apologies for any misunderstanding! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sambum said:

Sorry if you took it to mean yourself! Herewith my reply to your post where you asked :-

"Proactive?  I don't think you know what the word means"

I posted:- 

"From "Vocabulary.com":-

Active means "doing something." The prefix pro- means "before." So if you are proactive, you are ready before something happens. The opposite is being reactive, or waiting for things to unfold before responding."

And my last sentence:- 

"Don't know what the word means"? Correct!"

So I was in actual fact agreeing with you, but a certain poster began insinuating (in bad English!) that I needed a dictionary to get the definition, which was not the case, it was just to prove your/our point.

My apologies for any misunderstanding! 

Thanks for the clarification, apologies for my misunderstanding!!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/17/2024 at 8:09 AM, schultzlivgthai said:

you’d think they would be grateful for a place to earn a living and have peace. 

Their brains obviously doesn't work like that.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Given the way the hosts are treating the visiting Burmese ....... it is no wonder. While these Burmese kids need to be taught a proper lesson it might also be noteworthy to see, what it takes to "legalize" a Burmese in Thailand.

The hospitality industry in Thailand is in dire need of staff yet to get the paperwork for qualified Burmese (same of Lao or Cambodians) is an absolute nightmare. 

As "suggested" by the department of labour in Cholburi, we used agents later on, at THB 20K per person, to get the paperwork sorted. Guess what, after the "guarantee of six months working" the same agency took out the alien worker and placed them somewhere else. Modern slave trade indeed.

We sold the restaurant luckily and would never ever touch a business in Thailand requiring manpower again. 

So those naughty kids might be just too tied down by the Thai bureaucracy, cannot join school, learn a profession or - heaven forbid - work!