Daughter-in-law of Lopburi landlady traps tenants due to deposit dispute - video

3890361432_b9fdf21820_b.jpg

In the central province of Lopburi, a homeowner's daughter-in-law locked five tenants inside their rental property after they were unable to pay a tenancy deposit of 2,500 baht. One of the trapped tenants, a 25-year-old woman identified as Siriwan, sought help from the police after she and her family were prevented from leaving their home due to the padlock placed by the landlord's daughter-in-law.

According to Channel 8, the woman responsible for the deadlock, named Aom, decided to lock the property's fence when the family failed to pay the required tenancy deposit. Siriwan, her husband, their newborn baby, and her in-laws were living in the rented home at the time.

In her report, Siriwan stated that Aom, who is in charge of the rental agreement and fees, asked for a monthly rent of 2,500 baht and a deposit of 7,500 baht, a total of 10,000 baht for the first month. Siriwan, a new mother, was not able to meet this financial demand due to her husband being the only one working. She proposed paying the remaining 2,500 baht in two payments over the succeeding months, but Aom denied her request.

A failed meeting and an unanswered late-night call from Aom left a message for Siriwan, stating, “You broke the promise, so I had to put on a lock.” Following this incident, the homeowner apologized for Aom's actions, although Siriwan never received an apology from Aom herself.

Overwhelmed and unable to afford a legal case against Aom, Siriwan and her family decided to move out by the end of May.

File photo for reference only. Courtesy of Google

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-17

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Drumbuie said:

A phone is pretty well essential in today's world - how else can you get and keep a job ?

That's what they are told by the phone companies and google...  I'm using a Nokia 15-20 year old,

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, watchcat said:

That's what they are told by the phone companies and google...  I'm using a Nokia 15-20 year old,

Is it 2G or 3G? Surprised these still work?

• Like 1

Hmmm..

Strikes me (after a cursory google) that Ms Aom could be in big trouble.   

According to Thai law "Section 310. Illegal Detention. Whoever, detains or confines the other person, or by any other means whatever, deprives such person of the liberty of person, shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding three years or fined not exceeding six thousand Baht, or both."

But then again it is Thailand...

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Drumbuie said:

A phone is pretty well essential in today's world - how else can you get and keep a job ?

My maid had a second hand cheap Chinese phone that cost a few hundred baht; her child dropped it, it broke, and without it she was lost. So I bought her a new cheap Chinese phone and it was still less than 3000 baht. 

Android with Mandarin only menus?😀

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, watchcat said:

.?? Thus, acknowledging the need for a mobile phone these days. I too use technology getting long in the tooth and my car is 22 years old. Difficult and more costly having neither. I think we can agree on this.

Edited by wwest5829

On 5/20/2024 at 9:35 AM, ignore it said:

Hmmm..

Strikes me (after a cursory google) that Ms Aom could be in big trouble.   

According to Thai law "Section 310. Illegal Detention. Whoever, detains or confines the other person, or by any other means whatever, deprives such person of the liberty of person, shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding three years or fined not exceeding six thousand Baht, or both."

But then again it is Thailand...

I agree whatever the right or wrongs of the deposit Aom should be arrested for false imprisonment. 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2024 at 5:55 PM, snoop1130 said:

In her report, Siriwan stated that Aom, who is in charge of the rental agreement and fees, asked for a monthly rent of 2,500 baht and a deposit of 7,500 baht, a total of 10,000 baht for the first month. Siriwan, a new mother, was not able to meet this financial demand due to her husband being the only one working. She proposed paying the remaining 2,500 baht in two payments over the succeeding months, but Aom denied her request.

Why was she given the keys then to move in ? 

• Confused 1

On 5/20/2024 at 10:28 AM, tubber said:

Is it 2G or 3G? Surprised these still work?

Yes I had to buy a new one since my company decided they stop using 3g minimum was 4 or 5g.

15 hours ago, Alidiver said:

You've caught him out. Well done.

Sure I have a couple of 15-20 year old Nokias somewhere. I might see if they still work. Can't see the batteries being much good.