Latest developments and discussion of recent events in the Ukraine War

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Welcome back. I've been missing your sensible contributions.

ย 

Indeed, one has to wonder about Zelensky's plan, if he actually has one.

I was beginning to wonder if the stories about the shortage of men was just a trick to fool the Russians, and they have a large force hidden away to exploit the incursion.

Thanks I've been very busy on other things and haven't had time to study the many sources I use. This sober reflective article in the NS caught my eye. Kursk is high on hopium and PR but would probably prove irrelevant in determining the ultimate outcome of the war. There is a grim grind of now a seemingly endless war which suits western interests on the whole but is destroying Ukraine as a viable state in the long term - and Europe's biggest donor Germany is indicating that the bank is closing as they are out of money and politcal will to continue business as usual.

ย 

https://www.newstatesman.com/international-content/2024/08/the-ukrainian-endgame

ย 

https://archive.is/1TviU

ย 

The diplomacy to end the war will take longer, but it, too, will take place quietly and secretly. And it will come as a shock to Ukraineโ€™s supporters in the West, some of whom may still believe that Ukraine can achieve total victory, including the liberation of Crimea โ€“ maybe even regime change in Russia itself. The problem for Ukraine has always been that its Western supporters do not have a commonly agreed war goal. But, in recent months, this has been overtaken by a collective sense that support for a long war is flagging.

ย 

From a military perspective, both sidesโ€™ stated goals appear unrealistic. My baseline scenario is that they will agree somewhere in the middle, maybe next year. There is still a lot to play for, but nobody will get everything they want. It will be a deal that will have no winners, yet one that allows both sides to claim victory. It will be a dirty deal, full of compromises, unveiled to the world as a fait accompli โ€“ much like a shadowy and unexpected prisoner exchange.

Edited by beautifulthailand99

44 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Kursk is high on hopium and PR but would probably prove irrelevant in determining the ultimate outcome of the war.ย 

So called ukrainians are moving towards Moscow. Who knows where we will find them 1 or 2 year later. Maybe very close to Moscow.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

There is a grim grind of now a seemingly endless war which suits western interests on the whole but is destroying Ukraine as a viable state in the long term - and Europe's biggest donor Germany is indicating that the bank is closing as they are out of money and politcal will to continue business as usual.

That is the significant factor. The war continues only with western support, but western countries are broke- even the US has an unsustainable debt. When citizens see their lives deteriorate, and billions of $ spent on weapons for Ukraine, how long can their governments put off the inevitable rebellion? Take Britain; illegal immigration disruptions must be costing the government millions in unexpected costs ( just imprisoning them all is requiring extra costs ), so how can they justify millions/ billions for missiles etc, especially when the UK military needs a massive investment. Where is all the money coming from- seems a lot of Harry Pottering is going on in government offices.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

From a military perspective, both sidesโ€™ stated goals appear unrealistic. My baseline scenario is that they will agree somewhere in the middle, maybe next year. There is still a lot to play for, but nobody will get everything they want. It will be a deal that will have no winners, yet one that allows both sides to claim victory. It will be a dirty deal, full of compromises, unveiled to the world as a fait accompli โ€“ much like a shadowy and unexpected prisoner exchange.

Some have suggested a Korean style separation, which seems realistic to me.

Whatever happens, it's going to be sooooooo interesting seeing government wonks trying to justify how they spent so much on a war that ended in stalemate.

The next elections will be very interesting.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, zmisha said:

So called ukrainians are moving towards Moscow. Who knows where we will find them 1 or 2 year later. Maybe very close to Moscow.

Where do you get that they are moving towards Moscow? Must be looking at different sites than myself.

That the Russians are ruthless is beyond doubt FAB's and artillery are raining down on their own villages under Ukrainian occupation. Julian Ropcke remains very doubtful as to the efficacy or point to the Kursk occupation. Maximilising the positions post negotations seems the most obvious one.ย  The Russians burnt down Moscow when Napoleopn approached and did scorched earth uner the Nazis. That's why you never want to fight them less you become barbarians yoursleves.

ย 

ย 

• Like 1

ย All in all, I just donโ€™t know what Ukraineโ€™s leadership was thinking here. It very much feels like a last ditch Hail Mary attempt. I think they know theyโ€™re losing in the east, with no real hope of changing that trend, and so they gathered whatever they could muster and basically said โ€œ<deleted> it, go in there and see how far you can getโ€ in hopes that they might push deep enough into Kursk to warrant a major shift in Russiaโ€™s force posture. That didnโ€™t happen of course, and now Ukraine has a lot of men and equipment bogged down in what Iโ€™m afraid is a suicide mission.

ย 

I feel like the Kursk invasion presages the beginning of the end for Ukraine. Things are not going well in the east, Russia is not relenting with its aerial attacks, and Iโ€™m just not sure how much longer Ukraine can sustain like this. If (more like when) Pokrovsk and Sloviansk fall, I think weโ€™ll be looking at the serious possibility of a Ukrainian surrender. If they keep fighting they just risk losing more territory.

ย 

https://archive.is/FkVPm

ย 

Still, the battle in Russiaโ€™s border regions remains in its initial stages, and the present pace of the Kursk incursion is giving Mr. Putin time to calibrate his response. Instead of weakening the Kremlinโ€™s grip on power, the invasion may eventually cause more Russian citizens to rally around the flag, analysts said.
The Kursk invasion โ€œis certainly a blow to the Kremlinโ€™s reputation,โ€ Tatiana Stanovaya, a Russian political scientist, wrote on social media on Tuesday. But โ€œit is unlikely to spark a significant rise in social or political discontent among the population, nor will it lead to an elite rebellion.โ€

Screenshot 2024-08-22 091729.jpg

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Where do you get that they are moving towards Moscow? Must be looking at different sites than myself.

Where do you get that there could be a Russian enemy not wanting to reach Moscow as the main target? Belgorod and Kursk are the best roads to Moscow nowadays. So it was predictable that the enemy will move towards these cities.
And it is predictable that the enemy will try to say that he is not interested to move towards Moscow.ย War is the art of deception - to deceive the enemy is to win (Sun Tzu).
That is why Putin loves Biden - "he is predictable".

Edited by zmisha
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

It seems unlikely that the Ukrainians intend to try and reach Moscow.

Which Ukrainians are youย talking about? Those who live in Ukraine for years or those who just have received Ukrainian passport and cannot say a single Ukrainian word ?

Edited by zmisha
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, zmisha said:

Which Ukrainians are youย talking about? Those who live in Ukraine for years or those who just have received Ukrainian passport and cannot say a single Ukrainian word ?

I'm talking about the Ukrainian forces in Kursk.

ย 

Just for the avoidance of doubt, I am fully on Ukraine's side in this conflict, however the Ukrainians have made it pretty clear (IMHO) they are not planning to try to reach Moscow since they have cut off the very bridges they would need to use to get there.

A video of a beheaded Ukrainian soldier being displayed on a spike appears to show that Russian soldiers will show no mercy to Ukrainians on Russian territory.

ย 

"The appalling footage has been reported as a warย crimeย to theย United Nationsย by theย Kyivย authorities, and was seemingly made at a Russian border point in the Belgorod region.

ย 

Ukrainian troops made a failed bid to break through the Kolotilovka checkpoint intoย Russiaย this week in an apparent effort to expand their invasion"

ย 

Putin's forces have been claiming the successful defence of Kolotilovka against Ukrainian marines as a victory and have attempted to use it as a warning as they continue to try to repel Ukrainian troops.

ย 

In a chilling video of the aftermath of the battle earlier this week, a Russian soldier brags on camera about their supposed triumph.

The soldier - thought to be from the 155th Brigade of the Pacific Fleet - says the 'dead men' of his unit 'salute you, Khokhols' - a derogatory word used by Russians for Ukrainians.

ย 

"'You have made an unforgivable mistake, stepping with your filthy pig hooves on our holy land,' he threatened. 'Today some of you have had your heads blown off by our pressure.'

ย 

He went on with his sinister threat: 'It will be the same every time we meet. The dead have no pity. The dead men know no fear. The dead are coming for you, Khokhol.'

ย 

Dmytro Lubinets, Ukraine's human rights commissioner, said he had contacted the UN and the Red Cross over the abominable footage filmed at the Kolotilovka checkpoint."

ย 

Zelensky has personally responded to the video.

ย 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13752617/Russian-fighter-severed-head-Ukrainian-soldier-Zelensky-forces-blast-bridge-missiles-Putin.html

Edited by Cameroni
  • Sad 1

ย 

Russia advancing much easier on the main front, with Ukraine having experienced troops tied down in Kursk.

ย 

"Civilians with small children in their arms and lugging heavy suitcases fled Monday from Ukraineโ€™s eastern city of Pokrovsk, where the Russian army was bearing down fast despite a lightning Ukrainian incursion into Russiaโ€™s Kursk region.

Local authorities said Russian forces were advancing so quickly that families were under orders to leave the city and other nearby towns and villages starting Tuesday. "

ย 

https://apnews.com/article/ukraine-russia-evacuation-order-pokrovsk-b8c4c6cc0dd81658fecdf1c83145908d

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Cameroni said:

ย 

Russia advancing much easier on the main front, with Ukraine having experienced troops tied down in Kursk.

ย 

"Civilians with small children in their arms and lugging heavy suitcases fled Monday from Ukraineโ€™s eastern city of Pokrovsk, where the Russian army was bearing down fast despite a lightning Ukrainian incursion into Russiaโ€™s Kursk region.

Local authorities said Russian forces were advancing so quickly that families were under orders to leave the city and other nearby towns and villages starting Tuesday. "

ย 

https://apnews.com/article/ukraine-russia-evacuation-order-pokrovsk-b8c4c6cc0dd81658fecdf1c83145908d

Ukrainians know what they are doing, probably another huge trap for the dumb Russian generals

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

I realise Ukraine probably had nothing to lose by trying the Kursk gambit, but if you seriously think Ukraine is winning this war you probably believe Father Christmas lives in Greenland.

What's a problem for Zelensky to give new Ukrainian passport for everyone from NATO wanting to fight for him?ย 
It is absolutely legal, so why won't he do this?
You simply want to believe it is impossible. It is very similar to believing thatย Father Christmas lives in Greenland.
Even more interesting - Russia is already doing something very similar - you can see a lot of yesterday's migrant workers who are solders now.

Edited by zmisha
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1