Jump to content

What is the difference between 95 and 97 petrol?


Recommended Posts

I have official converted in car dealership my car in Greece/Athens from petrol to natural gas and I paid €25 thats it takes me to drive 500 km almost I forgot to refuel it.

Very cheap and convenient clean fuel for our pockets .

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is more lead in 97. The lead is for the grease purpose of the engine. So generally more engine power needs better grease capacity from the petrol = higher octane. But nowadays there are other chemicals to add in order to obtain the same grease capacity of the petrol. You can always use higher octane then recommended but not lower. Just use what the manual states. So there is not more "power" or something like that in higher octane petrol. The engine will not become more strong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any ex refinery operators out there will know that due to tankage and scheduling requirements, for example the 95 at the bowser is often higher eg 97

we used to call it giveaway in Australia, the tank farm guys would tell everyone buy the 91 this week it’s actually 95 😊

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, KhunLA said:

From experience, for E85 users, good luck finding that at PTT, as we used with our last ICEV, until prices started equalizing with 91, and no advantage.

 

E85 was very hard to find at PTT, and usually only at the newer larger PTT Park stations.  EV charging is easier to find now, and that's not an exaggeration  :cheesy:

We switched from E85 to E20. Now we getting 10% better fuel economy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Longtime out of the business so I forget the exact chemistry, but my experience as an ASE mechanic and Nascar licensed driver indicate it is a small difference and of import mostly to higher compression, performance oriented engines.  As a side note, for my stock car we used to go to the local airfield to get avgas, which if I recall could be 110 octane. Important for a high compression motor operating at the limit of performance. 

A little ”pinging” could mean the difference between the winner lap and also ran.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, digbeth said:

E20 is 95-98 octane and E85 is over 100, but that hardly means more performance or better range as it actually has less thermal energy per volume

It means more performance with less range. The ECU will add more fuel to the mixture to compensate which in turn adds power but with added fuel use. A remap helps the ECU if its not able to determine what fuel its using very well.

 

I try and put in 95 and add 10 liters of E85 at the same time. I don't care about range. My car doesn't run on flex fuel. E85 is 105 octane.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Captor said:

There is more lead in 97. The lead is for the grease purpose of the engine. So generally more engine power needs better grease capacity from the petrol = higher octane. But nowadays there are other chemicals to add in order to obtain the same grease capacity of the petrol. You can always use higher octane then recommended but not lower. Just use what the manual states. So there is not more "power" or something like that in higher octane petrol. The engine will not become more strong.

Lead hasn't been allowed in fuel for decades. The octane is set by specific formulation, not by adding lead.

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, alanrchase said:

The difference between 91 and 95 is just the octane rating. 97 has an even higher octane but I believe it is also pure gasoline with no added ethanol, hence the big jump in price.

 

Bangchak Hi Premium 97... is E10.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

 

Bangchak Hi Premium 97... is E10.

Yes, I did go to their website to have a look after I posted and noticed it said E10. Seems you are paying 10 baht a litre extra for some additives. If your car needs 97 octane I suppose the price of fuel is immaterial. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, alanrchase said:

Yes, I did go to their website to have a look after I posted and noticed it said E10. Seems you are paying 10 baht a litre extra for some additives. If your car needs 97 octane I suppose the price of fuel is immaterial. 

 

My motorbikes love the 97.

My cars prefer E85 and are tuned for to use it solely.

Edited by Ralf001
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, gravity101 said:

It means more performance with less range. The ECU will add more fuel to the mixture to compensate which in turn adds power but with added fuel use. A remap helps the ECU if its not able to determine what fuel its using very well.

 

I try and put in 95 and add 10 liters of E85 at the same time. I don't care about range. My car doesn't run on flex fuel. E85 is 105 octane.

we remapped our swift to run on e20. The standard engine is tuned for 91. we not get better performance (+ other mods) and and fuel economy on that. I managed 25kml in light traffic driving to work one day - never have seen that number. The average is now 19.3 km. Before mods it was about 18km/l average. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Shell doesn't show 97 on their price list.


I could be wrong. I thought last time I was in Shell they tried to upsell my to their 97 option and it was considerably more expensive.

However I could definitely be wrong. I'll look next time I go.

 

Quote

And their V Power is just 95 E10 with magic additives.

https://www.shell.co.th/en_th/motorists/shell-fuels/shell-fuel-prices.html


It was definitely V-Power they were upselling, Thought they told me it was 97 but starting to doubt myself, you are probably right. Will check next time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/21/2024 at 11:30 AM, ujayujay said:

The difference: 97 petrol will soon no longer be available.

I use to run 98 back in Au in my cars, though the last 2 were turbo VW's cant remember if they would have run on 95, I would have chose 98 anyway, previous car to them was a BMW series 3 2002 model, I ran it on 98 as well...much smoother running engine and there was an improvement in milage, The old Toyota work van use to run in on 95, certainly quieted the engine down and of course very smooth to run, as for milage well I use to carry a lot of tools... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.








×
×
  • Create New...