One dead, 30 injured in Singapore Airlines emergency landing

''  this emergency landing led to injuries of 30 passengers and the death of one ''    .... it was the turbulance that caused the injuries and death, not the landing !!

20 hours ago, how241 said:

Seat belts should be required to be worn at all times, except for going to the  bathroom.

They have bathrooms on Singapore Airline aircraft? First Class perhaps?

I think some of the contributors to this thread have been trying to engage in a weird form of victim blaming. Trying to make out that it was the passengers fault that they were injured. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, greg71 said:

Despicable but worth noting, for those who may not bother to read the article, that this was done by hospital personnel apparently on orders of hospital administration. No indication that Singapore Airlines is in any way involved.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, superal said:

I have seen recommended by doctors , to avoid DVT on long haul flights . 1/ Take a baby aspirin to thin your blood , prior to the flight . ( Sheryl's opinion / endorsement is welcomed )  

2/ Exercises for your legs can be done when seated and belted . Yes , walking around for 1 minute every hour was also stated but will put you at risk from turbulence events . Even normal ( scary ) turbulence can cause you to fall through loss of balance .

Yes, aspirin will help for this IF you have no contraindications (bleeding disorder, gastritis, history of stomach ulcers).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, RobU said:

'And moments later'

The operative phrase

There was no warning no time to put on seatbelts

Interviews I have seen with passengers variously stated no seat belt sign and that seatbelt light came on. All seem to agree no announcement (not surprising given how unexpected and serious the event was, pilot would have been busy coping with it and sending out distress call/request for emergency landing first).

I suspect that what may be the case was that light come on but virtually simultaneous to the event at which point no one had time to react...in fact those not already seat-belted were already being catapulted about.  May have come on automatically, I think that is programmed to happen? But in that case would have been only as the plane started its extreme movements.

• Thumbs Up 2

16 hours ago, RobU said:

'And moments later'

The operative phrase

There was no warning no time to put on seatbelts

One of the news articles mentioned that the plane sharply rose 100 feet, then dropped 300 feet and subsequently made a pilot-controlled descent of 6,000 feet.

Question to the aviators: did the sharp, uncontrolled ascent automatically activate the seatbelt signs or did a member of the cockpit crew have to do it manually?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Puccini said:

One of the news articles mentioned that the plane sharply rose 100 feet, then dropped 300 feet and subsequently made a pilot-controlled descent of 6,000 feet.

Question to the aviators: did the sharp, uncontrolled ascent automatically activate the seatbelt signs or did a member of the cockpit crew have to do it manually?

Good point

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Interviews I have seen with passengers variously stated no seat belt sign and that seatbelt light came on. All seem to agree no announcement (not surprising given how unexpected and serious the event was, pilot would have been busy coping with it and sending out distress call/request for emergency landing first).

I suspect that what may be the case was that light come on but virtually simultaneous to the event at which point no one had time to react...in fact those not already seat-belted were already being catapulted about.  May have come on automatically, I think that is programmed to happen? But in that case would have been only as the plane started its extreme movements.

I quite agree...    

On nearly every flight I am on there is an announcement at the beginning of the flight... 

"the seatbelt sign has been turned off, we advise that you remain in your seat with the seatbelt fastened to protect yourselves in the event on unexpected movements"...  (or something similar). 

The crew of the Flight Deck obviously turn on the seatbelt signs when they can see some weather on their radar, however, there is also clean air turbulence which cannot be seen or predicted - hence keeping on the seatbelts

--------

I used to be very slack up until about 15 years ago or so and then kept my seatbelt fastened, even when sleeping etc.

And now, with our Son, if he's lying on the seat, or across a couple of seats we'll ensure to keep a seatbelt fastened over him...    

After this incident, I'm guessing anyone on a plane will now do the same... 

One real concern - taking a poop when such an event happens..  

9 hours ago, Paris333 said:

I usually do not wear seat belt in planes except during take off and landing when the red light is blinking in the cabin of the passenders. Its my principles particularly for Thai region I wear my seat belt on the plane after 3 hours departing from Qatar airport and as the plane approaches Thai shores I wear my seat belt and continue my relaxing nap.

At my car I always wear my seat belt as well as helmet when I drive my motorcycle in capital of Athens.

.....................................................................................................................................................................................

Samitivej Hospital' updates on 40 patients from plane crash, still being treated.

Dr. Adinan said that the number of injured persons still being treated at Samitivej Srinakarin Hospital is 41 cases, 19 males and 22 females, consisting of 10 British nationals, 9 Australians, 7 Malaysians, 4 Filipinos, United States: 2 cases, New Zealand: 2 cases, Myanmar, Ireland, Israel, South Korea, Singapore🤠, Spain, 1 case per nationality, of which 41 cases have improved and 1 case has been sent home, leaving 40 patients still being treated.

Dr. Adinan said that there were 22 cases of spinal and spinal cord injuries, 6 cases of skull and brain injuries, and 13 cases of bone, muscle, and other injuries.

The patients had already undergone surgery. 17 cases included 5 cases of cervical spine surgery, 4 cases of thoracic spine surgery, and 8 cases of torn wound repair. The patients received surgery and were treated with supportive care. 

Source:

https://siamrath.co.th/n/538460

Well you’re silly then as clearly turbulence hits any time. Was on the flight not long before this happened but have always made a point of strapping in and also not wonder around the cabin as some typically older folk do. You’re blasting along in a tube at 1000kph!

Don't know if it's been said but the plane fell on the passengers head not the other way round...guess it depends on your frame of reference.

I was at Phnom Penh airport, waiting to board my VietJet flight to BKK, when I first heard of it. Flight was only delayed by 1 hour which is pretty good considering what was happening at BKK.

RIP to my fellow countryman 👋

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Puccini said:

Given the age of this aircraft, it is not clear what type of switch is fitted on this 777, but if fitted the automatic switch will have 3 settings;

Seat belt sign switch ON: the “fasten seat belt” and the “return to seat” signs come on in the cabin.

Seat belt sign switch AUTO the signs automatically come on in the cabin when;

the slats are extended, or

the landing gear is extended, or

the link to the aircraft systems detects something like turbulence.

Seat belt sign switch OFF, the signs are off.

The switch is operated manually from the cockpit, but the sign can also be turned on from the cabin crew panel. Full details will be in the investigation report.

This is taken from a previous report, into a similar turbulence event involving a Singapore Airlines aircraft, which recommended improving their turbulence management guidelines.

IMG_2947.jpeg

IMG_2946.jpeg

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/21/2024 at 1:46 PM, KhunBENQ said:

I would not be surprised if the whole plane has to be written off due to structural damage?

What is so funny mentioning about the plane having structural damage & might need to be &  most probably a write off?? Some people on here have a sick sense of humour, The mind truly fkn boggles at these idiots !! RIP to those that sadly died 🙏🏽

• Agree 1

This picture of the aircraft’s flight data, clearly shows that media reports of a massive drop are wrong, the aircraft hit some short violent turbulence, which throw the unbelted passengers/crew around and then the aircraft did a controlled descent, from 37,000 feet to 31,000 feet, at a steady rate of about 2000 feet per minute, which is normal pilot technique to escape bad weather or maybe Air Traffic Control (ATC) required it after the pilot requested the divert to BKK.

Turbulence will cause the height of the airplane to fluctuate +/- no more than 100-500 feet. The higher value being considered very severe.

IMG_2948.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

This picture of the aircraft’s flight data, clearly shows that media reports of a massive drop are wrong, the aircraft hit some short violent turbulence, which throw the unbelted passengers/crew around and then the aircraft did a controlled descent, from 37,000 feet to 31,000 feet, at a steady rate of about 2000 feet per minute, which is normal pilot technique to escape bad weather or maybe Air Traffic Control (ATC) required it after the pilot requested the divert to BKK.

Turbulence will cause the height of the airplane to fluctuate +/- no more than 100-500 feet. The higher value being considered very severe.

IMG_2948.jpeg

I'm not debating how it happened I'm saying the mentality of some people on here is questionable!

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, HammerGuy said:

I'm not debating how it happened I'm saying the mentality of some people on here is questionable!

Sorry my post was not aimed at your comment, which I fully agree with.

Was just posting an analyses of some data posted in an aviation forum.

Edited by Georgealbert