You have $5,000 a month in the USA

Posted (edited)

1. Original statement: My age(60 and older) So I should have stated my actual age.  Got it. Not that there will be next time but ok. 2. 3000 is not almost 5000. 3. I am not making big deal out of anything. I am just respondig to you. 4. I am talking about deductions from gross pay and not how much one actually pays in income taxex. 5.  So what is your definition of something over $175. Because you said 3000 is almost 5000.

Also, you started this. I made an initial comment on this sujbect that was never directed at you. 

Edited by sqwakvfr

2 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

1. Original statement: My age(60 and older)

So, you could be 60, yes? But you later said you were over 60, which I assume means 61 or over, not 60 and a day. 

2. 3000 is not almost 5000.

To some people it might be, and I said 3,000 and 4,000, I lot of people might say 4,000 is almost 5,000 when there were talking about their income. 

3. I am not making big deal out of anything. I am just respondig to you.

Then quit complaining that I am responding to you. 

4. I am talking about deductions from gross pay and not how much one actually pays in income taxex.

Right. So, you only pay about 12-17% in income taxes to make up the 20-25% net, correct? You have almost 8% in payroll taxes, yes? 

5.  So what is your definition of something over $175. Because you said 3000 is almost 5000.

It went up about $10 this year, but as a high-earner with a large savings, is it really that big a deal? 

1. 60 and older means 60 or older .  2. "a lot of people".  I have never knonw anyone who beleive 3000 is almsot 5000 3. I am not complainig. You are. 4. 12% to 17% is probably the marginal tax rates for this AGI but the amont decucted from my gross has alwasys been more. This was my point.  Deductions and actual taxes paid are usually different amounts. 5. $10 is not a big deal. But future increases could be more.

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Plenty of places to rent for <$800 a month.  Not everyone wants to live in the expensive metro or beach areas.

That is actually true. 

Go up North, Yreka, or South, Salton Sea are cheap as examples.

But none of the 'cheap' CA options ever appealed to me, and they are to be honest a little sketchy.

What I went for was affordable, but where I could live, and I know it's a cliche, the American Dream middle class lifestyle.

Now I get my ocean on our annual vacation to Thailand, and trips to the Grandbaby in San Diego 

On 5/22/2024 at 7:42 AM, Cryingdick said:

You have $5,000 a month which I think is almost doable. Where do you go and why? Also can you live in the place you were raised on that amount?

Make more here.

Posted (edited)
On 5/26/2024 at 5:29 PM, Mike_Hunt said:

RVs are money pits.  Especially on a fixed income. 

There may have been a time they weren't that bad. Now we if you aren't some RV fanatic and consider the "way of the road" your life's calling and admire your pee jug collection it seems sort of crazy. The USA has become small and after covid the competition for space is fierce. As in my case a camper makes sense if you have unrestricted land to park it on somewhere nice. 

I still wouldn't want to live in a camper more than a short stint at a time. I just got back from my spring trip up north and prices for anything not right on the main supply lines are brutal. I think the idea of being semi nomadic is pretty much dying out. 

it seems there is a fine line between being far out enough to get low rent and the price of other things. Amazon has been a game changer in that way as you don't need any big box store near you.  

the idea of getting your kicks on Route 66 and staying in mom and pop motels along the way is probably worse than purgatory, but slightly better than hell. 

so my observation is many people are say8ng it is enough money for a good or even great life but give very few examples of where, why or how. So my question isn't that crazy. 

Edited by Cryingdick