New school year, same old story: Thailand’s education system ‘stuck in the past’

webfact

18 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Functions as designed.

Beat discipline into students.

Teach prostration.

Haircuts.

Uniforms.

Bad food.

Rote learning.

Poor results.

The last thing the power-that-be wants is an educated populace.

put this into the equation ..   and read between the lines

A "joke" in the US ,,      how do you raise the IQ of students in Mississippi ?

Give them pencils !

3 hours ago, ChristianBlessing said:

Have you ever taught in a western school?

Strange question. What difference would that make? The results of western education are apparent in society, and they have nothing to be proud of when it comes to state schools.

The answer to your question is that as a white male I would never work as a teacher, because the entire apparatus of state power will smash any male that has a whiff of suspicion. It's not just myself with that opinion as apparently male teachers are rarely found in schools these days. Just as while I worked in a children's ward in the 1980s, nothing would make me do so now. It's a minefield of PC for males, and we in NZ have a very good example of lies destroying a male and seeing him in jail. Unfortunately, he died not long before having his conviction overturned.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

For example, its clear from my girlfriend's daughter's general demeanor that she is actually very bright but its sad to see that despite spending long hours at school every day, she learns very little. Far too much of the Thai school day seems to be given over to 'Love Thailand' lessons and Royal History. She is being deprived of basic learning and I believe this is repeated day in day out all over Thailand.

I hope that you are filling the need for that education by taking it on yourself to provide her the education she needs.

Education doesn't need to be confined to school time.

My own teachers were so universally rubbish that I learned nothing from them, but I was able to educate myself post school years.

This  thread is a very good example of westerners that are are so arrogant they think they know better than the population of a country they are not part of.

I'll bet that while they will moan on this forum about how bad the Thai education system is they will never approach the education officials to promote their solution of oh so superior western education that graduates kids that can barely read.

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

12 hours ago, MikeUdon said:

At Holy Mary Udon Thani School, many teachers from the Philippines are employed. These teachers do not only teach English language but also a variety of other subjects such as Social Science, Maths, Science, Arts, Phonics, Grammar and more. All subjects are also taught in Thai Language by Thai teachers. All of these teachers are highly qualified and possess strong educational backgrounds. While it is true that English is their second language, Filipino teachers are known for their proficiency in English, often using it as a medium of instruction in their own country from an early age. Their comprehensive training and experience make them effective educators, capable of delivering lessons in English with clarity. For many years I had 2 'English speaking' neighbours. One from Australia and one from Scotland. With the Aussie guy it was ok after some time. But the guy from Scotland? Sometimes I had no idea what he was talking about. So did the guy from Australia😅

I was at a corporate meeting  ( about 10 years ago )    2 guys from Connecticut ( total white bread) were talking with a group from Alabama

when they seperated the Connecticut guys came over to me and said "we have no idea what these guys were saying..  what freakin' language are they speaking ?    ( They had the south, in their mouth ! )

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, shackleton said:

Seems to be quite a few graduating out of Universities every year 

So no shortage of qualified  people entering the workforce there 🤔 

A sheepskin ?  or toilet paper ?

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

You remind me of the difference between free and nothing.  I went to school for free, you  for nothing...

Not entirely nothing. I gained a lack of respect for teachers that don't teach, knowledge that bullies ( both adult and child ) win, and that a piece of paper saying a student graduated means next to nothing, except the holder of said piece of paper has a good memory.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, sambum said:

And this is to do with education? 

Well, I suppose it is in  a way if you are talking about educating yourself on Thai cuisine! 

proven fact ,,     eat like sh*t your brain and body responds in kind

it's a fact that your can even improve a child with autism's develpoment by getting them on a proper diet ,,   ( at minimum keto)

12 hours ago, MikeUdon said:

At Holy Mary Udon Thani School, many teachers from the Philippines are employed. These teachers do not only teach English language but also a variety of other subjects such as Social Science, Maths, Science, Arts, Phonics, Grammar and more. All subjects are also taught in Thai Language by Thai teachers. All of these teachers are highly qualified and possess strong educational backgrounds. While it is true that English is their second language, Filipino teachers are known for their proficiency in English, often using it as a medium of instruction in their own country from an early age. Their comprehensive training and experience make them effective educators, capable of delivering lessons in English with clarity. For many years I had 2 'English speaking' neighbours. One from Australia and one from Scotland. With the Aussie guy it was ok after some time. But the guy from Scotland? Sometimes I had no idea what he was talking about. So did the guy from Australia😅

Reminds me of the time I went to work on a ward and had handover with 2 nurses from different countries. They both spoke English, but not as each understood it. I had to explain what each had said to the other.

I worked with many Filipina nurses and while they spoke excellent English I was somewhat bemused that they referred to fruit in the plural as fruits, rather than fruit. I suppose English has a lot of strange things that are not apparent to native speakers.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, charleskerins said:

"accepted at a US college, with full scholarships but they didn't believe my wife planned to return after taking our daughter to the college because I had retired here in Thailand..."   ?

WIFE and U were planning to take daughter back to the school and get her settlled in dorm, sold car, sold lots of furniture as we would go back on a tourist visa for wife and hang around until we were sure that our daughter was "okay" there since she had never been out of Thailand.  But, when the consulate denied a visa for my wife, meaning she could not go then, daughter decided that she would not go without mommie.  She checked local colleges and decided that the number 1 rated college in Thailand could satisfy her desire for a degree in Korean language in prep for masters in Seoul so while we went ahead with wife's visa (approval for immigrant and for obtaining a green card) took just over a year for US immigration and then we would have to re-apply for a visa from the consulate so we agreed with daughter and she is doing well in college here - is spending this summer's break between terms in Seoul at the #1 college in Korea studying Korean language too and learning more of their culture which fits right in with her college here in BKK.  As a freshman, she did excellent, adjusted living in a condo alone next to the university, joined college activities and is very happy!  couldn't ask for anything else - and on top of that, a lot cheaper than US living and college even with some scholarships.  Many may ask learning Korean that well means she will be able to do what in life?  US State department last year could only fill 24% of their foreign-language billets...other US offices also need foreign language US citizens to fill their needs.  She will decide what she wants to do in life that makes her happy and can provide her with funds needed.

I will continue to provide verbal and whatever else support that she needs to reach her goals.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

How can you say that?  He knows his wife and what she's capable of, not you.

Because I know what Thai people are like, both in terms of what they wouldn't do (showing their professor all their mistakes which their foreign boyfriend found) and in terms of what they would do (lying to their partner to keep the peace).

If she lied to him, how would he know any different?

• Like 1

It's hard to disagree with much said above.  When my stepdaughter was 8 or 9 in public school she had an English class.  On one occasion I had not seen her homework before she submitted it to her teacher.  When the paper was returned it had 9 check marks and one 'X'.  She had been given 10 sentences with 10 jumbled up words for her to put in the proper English order.  As I reviewed her results, at best I would have graded her with 8 'X's and 2 check marks.  Teacher just justifying her position?  Luckily, she has done better in subsequent years thanks in part to a more advanced school in Pattaya.  An aptitude test for her entry in that school resulted in one of her classes being the use of AutoCad (3D version) for computer aided design.  She completed the design drawings of various example projects that once completed, she actually went on to make the product in the school's machine shops.  Today she is in a Bachelor's program for Business Management/Administration at a university in Bangkok.  She is a young lady now, well-disciplined, polite and with basically good English skills.  She should/could become a valued employee in anything she does.  However, the family is in the fruit business growing durian, rambutan and other fruits and seem to be pushing her in that direction having just purchased 20 Rai of farmland near Chantaburi for her.  The family has done extremely well with their farming business, but farming is a hard way of life with long days, hard physical work and the results can be severely impacted by weather, climate change and even political issues.  My thoughts as a foreigner are that she should be the one deciding on and planning for her future.  Although the family has done very well, there are no guarantees she would achieve the same success in today's world. 

It's hard to disagree with much said above.  When my stepdaughter was 8 or 9 in public school she had an English class.  On one occasion I had not seen her homework before she submitted it to her teacher.  When the paper was returned it had 9 check marks and one 'X'.  She had been given 10 sentences with 10 jumbled up words for her to put in the proper English order.  As I reviewed her results, at best I would have graded her with 8 'X's and 2 check marks.  Teacher just justifying her position?  Luckily, she has done better in subsequent years thanks in part to a more advanced school in Pattaya.  An aptitude test for her entry in that school resulted in one of her classes being the use of AutoCad (3D version) for computer aided design.  She completed the design drawings of various example projects that once completed, she actually went on to make the product in the school's machine shops.  Today she is in a Bachelor's program for Business Management/Administration at a university in Bangkok.  She is a young lady now, well-disciplined, polite and with basically good English skills.  She should/could become a valued employee in anything she does.  However, the family is in the fruit business growing durian, rambutan and other fruits and seem to be pushing her in that direction having just purchased 20 Rai of farmland near Chantaburi for her.  The family has done extremely well with their farming business, but farming is a hard way of life with long days, hard physical work and the results can be severely impacted by weather, climate change and even political issues.  My thoughts as a foreigner are that she should be the one deciding on and planning for her future.  Although the family has done very well, there are no guarantees she would achieve the same success in today's world. 

On 5/22/2024 at 8:25 AM, ikke1959 said:

The policy is easy, don't educate the people properly as they start to think and see what is going on in the country. That will become a threat to the rich and wealthy , the army and the Government and they will loose their power and grip on the people...No the people have to stay ignorant and those who stand up are putting in jail to prevent that their example will be followed. Talking about updating education will keep the people calm, but it will never happen. Living in Thailand for a long time already I haven't seen nothing new in schools..Only less foreign teachers, as they are being seen to as a threat, because they have Western ideas and could influence the kids.

Absolutely spot on. I couldn't have put it better...

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I hope that you are filling the need for that education by taking it on yourself to provide her the education she needs.

That would be a little difficult from the UK.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Because I know what Thai people are like

No, you know what a lot of Thai people are like. I can think of two that don't eat sh* t and would have no problems doing exactly what he said.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/22/2024 at 10:25 AM, HappyExpat57 said:

A school I worked at had a teachers' weekend "retreat" (it was actually just having us hand out pamphlets on the sidewalk for one of their new schools opening in the neighborhood). On Saturday night we were required to provide a teaching lesson. One particular lesson I actually liked was one on critical thinking.

The following Monday I tried applying that lesson in one of my classes. A supervisor walked by and shut me down quick, fast, and in a hurry.

I remember the last so-called professor to speak out about Thai education (or lack of it) he was put out to grass about 2 weeks later.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Strange question. What difference would that make? The results of western education are apparent in society, and they have nothing to be proud of when it comes to state schools.

The answer to your question is that as a white male I would never work as a teacher, because the entire apparatus of state power will smash any male that has a whiff of suspicion. It's not just myself with that opinion as apparently male teachers are rarely found in schools these days. Just as while I worked in a children's ward in the 1980s, nothing would make me do so now. It's a minefield of PC for males, and we in NZ have a very good example of lies destroying a male and seeing him in jail. Unfortunately, he died not long before having his conviction overturned.

Indeed, it's all about "inclusivity" in the UK today.... with pundits on the Woke side speaking of 'litigation'.... LITIGATION for God's sakes, over a kid who wants to identify as trans. This was aired recently following new guidance for teachers from the Government.

On 5/22/2024 at 9:00 AM, Galong said:

When school lets out, the parking lot is full of vendors selling nothing but candy, ungodly sweet drinks, and junk food.

yep see it every day on my bike ride as the kids eat outside waiting on the ride home...junk food

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, MangoKorat said:

No, you know what a lot of Thai people are like.

No sh*t. That's what that literally means. A generalisation never means 100% of the people. 🙄

Still, it's far more likely that she didn't tell her professor than did.

It's just not something that a normal Thai person would do.

6 hours ago, dlclark97 said:

As i said in a previous comment,  They all get a pass mark.  So, The teacher who gave her the marks is told to do that.   It's a ludicrous policy.  Third world behaviour.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

No sh*t. That's what that literally means. A generalisation never means 100% of the people. 🙄

Still, it's far more likely that she didn't tell her professor than did.

It's just not something that a normal Thai person would do.

I don't see any generalisations. What I see is you telling a guy he doesn't know his wife and suggesting that his wife lied to him. Well, a little more than suggesting actually.

Now you're simply trying to 'backpedal' - claiming you were generalising.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Confused 1

On 5/22/2024 at 4:51 PM, MikeUdon said:

They might be good at teaching subjects... but not speaking. Their pronunciation is and always will be Asian. Intonations and speaking patterns taught incorrectly.  I have seen many (qualified filipino teachers pronouncing words wrong. Many teaching whereas even I, standing outside their door could not understand half of what was being said. As well as many of my own students telling me i said something incorrectly because their filipino teacher told them differently. SO, I have to disagree with your assessment about filipino teachers. Although there are some that are good at subject teaching, the majority are the same as a Thai/English teacher with bad intonation and bad accents. 

On 5/22/2024 at 1:36 PM, scorecard said:

My Thai son attended high school in Singapore. Returned to Thailand. Went to a Thai HS for work experience. Day 1 morning he organised the kids into small groups sitting opposite each other.

An then started teaching by starting with a basic comment then the kids had to research on their smartphones / tablets for more information. And their findings presented, by the kids to the whole class. Every group got a turn to talk, every student had to take a turn to make a presentation. Teacher then reinforced the positive and negative points shared by the students. Rote learning gone!

Within a couple of hours a deputation to the head mistress by the other teachers who:

- Demanded the school stop for the day

- Demanded that my son be removed from the school immediately.

- Demanded that the head mistress give a written guarantee to the teachers that this style of teaching (the pedagogy) would never be seen again.

- Demanded that the head mistress prepare and give every student a one page handout telling them that the old 'principles' still totally applied: E.g. 'Students not allowed to ask questions', .........

Wonderful.  Unfortunately, your son threatened the whole system.