58 injured Singapore Airlines passengers still in Bangkok hospitals

webfact

image.jpeg

58 of the passengers injured when Singapore Airlines Flight SQ321 encountered severe turbulence en route from London to Singapore yesterday are still being treated in hospital, including 20 who are in intensive care units (ICU), according to a statement from Bangkok’s Samitivej Srinagarind Hospital.

Yesterday, 103 passengers were taken to Samitivej Srinagarind, Samitivej Sukhumvit and Bangkok hospitals and the Samitivej Suvarnabhumi Clinic, 27 of whom have already been discharged.

Nine injured passengers required urgent surgery at Samitivej Srinagarind Hospital and their conditions are now stable. Five more are undergoing surgical procedures at the same hospital today.

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-05-23

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

45 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

How were these people injured? Did their seatbelts fail?

"Most of the passengers who were seriously injured were not wearing their seat belts"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, watchcat said:

"Most of the passengers who were seriously injured were not wearing their seat belts"

Strange, I am 77 and have been flying internationally for over 50 years and ever since I began flying on these flights, it has always been recommended that althought not required to buckle up during the flight, one should do so anyway.  I always taught my family that from their first and last flights.  Guess folks just too lazy or ignorant of what can happen.  Over the recent past even, numerous flights have experienced turbulence and injuries and even deaths have occurred and media has reported this.  Just saying, RIP to the two Singaporean passengers and hope the remaining 58 in the hospital recover completely.  

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Presnock said:

Strange, I am 77 and have been flying internationally for over 50 years and ever since I began flying on these flights, it has always been recommended that althought not required to buckle up during the flight, one should do so anyway.  I always taught my family that from their first and last flights.  Guess folks just too lazy or ignorant of what can happen.  Over the recent past even, numerous flights have experienced turbulence and injuries and even deaths have occurred and media has reported this.  Just saying, RIP to the two Singaporean passengers and hope the remaining 58 in the hospital recover completely.  

just like a car always buckle up, I'm the same i have told me wife and daughter from day 1 always have seatbelt on no matter what its amazing how many people leave themselves un buckled 

• Agree 1

I always wear the seatbelt. I recall getting funny looks from the fellow travellers in Emirates business class when I visited the bar and strapped myself in to the couch. Moments later we hit a sudden bit of turbulence and they were all lurching around the bar spilling their drinks and looking for somewhere to grab on to. 

My smug "look" makes people want to kill me. :coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Darksidedude said:

just like a car always buckle up, I'm the same i have told me wife and daughter from day 1 always have seatbelt on no matter what its amazing how many people leave themselves un buckled 

The difference is in an aeroplane, the movement of your body is only restricted to movements upwards, in a crash it doesn't help much.

• Haha 1