Dual Retirement Visas - Thailand/Cambodia

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Agree. Constantly surprised that folk accept this as a given.

Then scurry to thinking about another country for 190 days.

Comical 

Nobody's scurrying.  My current situation makes moving to another country less of a hassle then others with stronger ties or attachments to this country.  Don't fall into the trap of thinking everyone is like yourself.

How is this not a "given".  You may chose to ignore the law and hope not to get caught (quite possibly due to lack of enforcement), but that doesn't mean it's not law.

Find it strange that you take this approach.  If there was some change in the visa laws, I suspect you would take it seriously.  In fact, I can remember several instances where you were unhappy with certain immigration offices that did not follow the law.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Random8 said:

How is this not a "given".  You may chose to ignore the law and hope not to get caught (quite possibly due to lack of enforcement), but that doesn't mean it's not law.

Look at tax law and law enforcement in your own country.

Unless Thailand connects tax to annual extensions I see it as impractical.

In any event this is off topic.

Current threads running with 200+ pages. 

20 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

You're the one posting irrelevant rubbish that an IO looked too long at your other country visa. Deciding you want to live in Thailand but choosing to live somewhere else you dont like as nuch for 186 days a year just to avoid some imagined/unconfirmed tax problem is crazy.

Editing your comment because I made you look silly and apparently reporting the comment in which I made you look silly (because it has been removed and not by me).

Weak...

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Random8 said:

Editing your comment because I made you look silly and apparently reporting the comment in which I made you look silly (because it has been removed and not by me).

Weak...

I never saw your comment so obviously never reported it. Is this the same paranoia that had you report that Thai IO had a problem with your Cambodia Visa even though they didn't say anything about it and let you into Thailand no problem?

Your paranoid actions on relocating for assumed tax makes more sense now lol

Edited by Pattaya57

19 minutes ago, Eddie45 said:

In my opinion that smart thing to do is not become a Thai resident if you arent already a Thai resident until these new tax rules have been established. 

If you express that opinion here, the know-it-alls (usually guys who are so deep into Thailand that they have no other option but to stay) will call you "crazy" and "comical".  (See prior posts).

But don't let it bother you, it's just another day at ASEAN Now...

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I even googled keesters.

Still no idea of your point. 

My point is:

Perhaps they are not 100% happy with Thailand and need an excuse (or push) to finally move elsewhere. 

(like a straw that broke the camels back) 

Edited by Korat Kiwi

4 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

A few points:

1) Poipet are extremely diligent on checking incoming travellers. 

2) It makes no difference how many visas you have for as many countries as you wish.

3) My passport is now 5 years old, it has transferred retirement visa stamp and 5 years of continuous annual extensions, re-entry permits and many entry exit stamps - it's nearly full already. I find that Thai I/Os are taking longer and longer thumbing back and forth through the pages (even when I present it opened on the visa/re-entry permit page).

Thank you.  Excellent, informative reply.  This is exactly what I was looking for.  Instead I get bashed by the "tax law is fake" brigade.  Reminds me of the antivaxxers.  Conspiracy theories are so en vogue.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Random8 said:

Yes, thanks.  Good idea.  I should probably try there before the Philippines, considering I'm an Isaan fan.  The only problem is the short visa duration.  I need/want 6 months.  I have to research the possibility of doing visa/border runs there.  Maybe in/out of Cambodia, since I have the Cambodia retirement visa already.

From Thailand We travelled through Laos, (before they had the fast train) then into Cambodia, then back into Thailand at Hat Lek Boarder, then home to Koh Chang, 6 week 'honeymoon'. 

13 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

From Thailand We travelled through Laos, (before they had the fast train) then into Cambodia, then back into Thailand at Hat Lek Boarder, then home to Koh Chang, 6 week 'honeymoon'. 

Sounds nice.  Did you travel by regular, slow train in Laos?  I enjoy slow train travel in Thailand, would like to experience it in Laos.  I bet the views there would be spectacular.

Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2024 at 5:17 PM, Random8 said:

I'm looking at the Philippines, but not excited about it.  Pollution, crappy infrastructure and crappy food are my expectations. Catholic, marriage-minded women, no thank you.

Also, if you stay longer than 6 months, you need some type of police clearance document before you can leave.  I've heard that it's a hassle to get.  I've heard of expats doing a border run every 5.5 months to avoid getting the police clearance.  Border runs mean taking a flight.

I'm also looking at Malaysia.  90 day tourist visa on arrival for Americans.  Land border visa runs are possible for another 90 days.  Great food (in my opinion), good infrastructure, good hospitals.

Catholic women? 😂😂😂

I've had many Filipina gf over the years, several long term.  They can be incredibly kinky sexually liberated ladies.. when all that repression in their childhood gets released. 

Agree on the food.  My LTGF learnt to cook Thai.  

Edited by SportRider

7 minutes ago, SportRider said:

Catholic women? 😂😂😂

I've had many Filipina gf over the years, several long term.  They can be incredibly kinky sexually liberated ladies.. when all that repression in their childhood gets released. 

Agree on the food.  My LTGF learnt to cook Thai.  

Yes, we've all heard about their reputation.  I didn't mean to imply they were frigid, I meant to reinforce the idea that they are marriage minded (and there's no divorce!).  Catholic also anti-birth control.  They'll want to have your child so that you stay attached to them one way or another.  They want a large family.  No thanks, not worth the risk, as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Random8 said:

Sounds nice.  Did you travel by regular, slow train in Laos?  I enjoy slow train travel in Thailand, would like to experience it in Laos.  I bet the views there would be spectacular.

There were only overnight buses when I went 8 yrs ago, now the 12hr. Edit ( I'm glad we used the busses the views were stunning) overnight sleeper bus rides take just 2hrs by the new fast train. You can book the train online so I've heard. I actually brought a lonely planet book on Laos before we went it proved invaluable. just to wet your your appetite some photos.

loas4.thumb.jpg.d0b914670697388f9bbc7b9ecaaa9dee.jpgloas3.thumb.jpg.7964d4c6bb0623551e01f0e489ad97e2.jpgloas2.thumb.jpg.21b3321460d0922b4a58c921d9bcb7ba.jpgloas.thumb.jpg.e1f643c1b94a82c3b4c9a61b7d81990a.jpg

Edited by brianthainess
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Eddie45 said:

In my opinion that smart thing to do is not become a Thai resident if you arent already a Thai resident until these new tax rules have been established. 

Eddie,

Why Did You Post.  This is a forum to contribute, help and share information.

Please reference Thai Revenue Department Order

No. P.162/2023 issued 21 November 2023

“The provisions of paragraph one Section 41 shall not apply to assessable income arising before the date
1 January 2024.”  

My Interpretation Any Foreign Assessable income that you can document and prove was Assessable and Earned prior to

1 January 2024. Pay 0 Zero Tax when Remitted to Thailand.

Edited by J Branche

Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2024 at 11:32 AM, Random8 said:

I don't like the way the Thai remittance/income tax situation is developing (or not developing, still too many open questions), so I've decided to spend 190 days outside of Thailand in 2024.  I will reevaluate in 2025 once the tax situation is clearer. Also, I'm setting up my finances to make my 2025 Thai tax burden as close to zero as possible.

In Thailand, I'm currently on a 1 year retirement extension of a Non-O visa (800k in the bank).  I went to Cambodia and purchased a 6 month retirement visa there.

On my way back to Thailand (I purchased a reentry permit before leaving) the Thai immigration officer (land crossing, Poi Pet) took a long time processing me through.  He kept looking at the Cambodia retirement visa, back at me, back at the visa, over and over again.  It's as if he wanted to object in some way, but wasn't willing to start the discussion or whatever.  Maybe his English skills weren't up to the task.

Is anyone else traveling with two retirement visas simultaneously?  Have you run into difficulties with either immigration department?  The Cambodian immigration department apparently didn't object to issuing a retirement visa despite my having an active Thai retirement visa.

Will Thai immigration (Udon) object to issuing a new 1 year extension if they see a Cambodian retirement visa in my passport?  Will they say I don't need a one year extension because I don't plan on staying 1 year?  In my opinion, it's none of their damn business, as long as I comply with their 90 reporting requirement, but they won't be interested in my opinion.

Thanks in advance to those who can share their similar experiences or an educated guess.

In 2008/09 and 2021/22, I held a 1 year non O RE extension in Thailand and a 1 year RE extension in Cambodia

NO problems

Far prefer Thailand, even thou have a khmer wife an house in Cambodia
+ 90% of everything is cheaper in Thailand

Edited by zzzzz
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

In 2008/09 and 2021/22, I held a 1 year non O RE extension in Thailand and a 1 year RE extension in Cambodia

NO problems

Far prefer Thailand, even thou have a khmer wife an house in Cambodia
+ 90% of everything is cheaper in Thailand

Excellent!  More helpful information.  Thank you!

Thank you also for not going off on some "taxation" tangent.

I was also surprised by the costs in Cambodia.  A Khmer hotel owner told me it's because Cambodia has to import so much from Thailand.

cheaper in Cambodia:
alcohol
Cigs
Some American cereal
American peanut butter
Refried beans ( for tex mex food)
Indian food in restaurants
CHEAP rooms
some uneatable street food  5555 

everything else.... Thailand wins

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, J Branche said:

Eddie,

Why Did You Post.  This is a forum to contribute, help and share information.

I posted because this is my opinion on the situation. Sorry if it upsets you but not everyone is going to think the same as you. The information you posted. I would take this with a pinch of salt. It could be changed in a heart beat. 

11 hours ago, Eddie45 said:

I posted because this is my opinion on the situation. Sorry if it upsets you but not everyone is going to think the same as you. The information you posted. I would take this with a pinch of salt. It could be changed in a heart beat. 

Eddie stop spreading False Misinformation or you will be Reported.

This is an order from the Thai Revenue Department available for Anyone to review.  Eddie, If you are going to continue to live in

Thailand you must know where to find reliable, credible information.  Additionally you must know what resources are available to

help answer your questions. (Thai Revenue Department Website https://rd.go.th/landing.html (Chrome Browser ability to Translate Thai to English)

Your Citizen Country and Thailand Dual Tax Treaty if created.  Thai Expat Companies (Tax and Legal) with experience and posting videos to

assist with understanding the changes and how it will impact Foreign Source Income for 2024.

Your Citizenship Embassy additionally offers guidance and assitance on where to locate information and resources in Thailand.

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, zzzzz said:

cheaper in Cambodia:
alcohol
Cigs
Some American cereal
American peanut butter
Refried beans ( for tex mex food)
Indian food in restaurants
CHEAP rooms
some uneatable street food  5555 

everything else.... Thailand wins

Thank You for contributing so others are better informed and aware of what to expect when visiting Cambodia.

6 hours ago, J Branche said:

Eddie stop spreading False Misinformation or you will be Reported.

This is an order from the Thai Revenue Department available for Anyone to review.  Eddie, If you are going to continue to live in

Thailand you must know where to find reliable, credible information.  Additionally you must know what resources are available to

help answer your questions. (Thai Revenue Department Website https://rd.go.th/landing.html (Chrome Browser ability to Translate Thai to English)

Your Citizen Country and Thailand Dual Tax Treaty if created.  Thai Expat Companies (Tax and Legal) with experience and posting videos to

assist with understanding the changes and how it will impact Foreign Source Income for 2024.

Your Citizenship Embassy additionally offers guidance and assitance on where to locate information and resources in Thailand.

English is obviously not your native language.  You don't understand the difference between a comment clearly stated to be a (valid, personal) opinion and false information (no caps necessary).

Posts that are stated to be opinions are not a violation of the forum rules.  Reporting such posts are a waste of the moderator's time.  The moderators here are busy enough and have better things to do.

Stop making false accusations and threats.

• Agree 2