Thailand Set to Recriminalise Cannabis Amid Expert Outcry

webfact

Up where I am the law change will not make any difference.

Been available openly at a 40 Bht g before & still will be after.

I just gotta be careful growing the female plants

• Agree 1

Just now, natway09 said:

Up where I am the law change will not make any difference.

Been available openly at a 40 Bht g before & still will be after.

I just gotta be careful growing the female plants

Sorry to say but it will make a difference for people who really smoke it. I am not a smoker but I have smoked many times and know the difference of the crap that used to be sold as cannabis and the high concentration THC that is sold now. I went into a cannabis store today to buy some CBD oil and was mind blowed by the smell and quality of their strains. I don't smoke but know how to differenciate between crap and good stuff.

12 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I would very much like to see actual evidence of this claim supported by independent scientific proofs. This is just more of the demonising rhetoric to support the govts. (aka Thaksin) push to recriminalise.

That's right! Everyone is crazy about MJ! 🤪

2 hours ago, kwilco said:

I don't think you’ve read them - you just see some headlines in the media and think that's the same think. - I seriously doubt your ability to read a medical paper or make head or tail out of the conclusions and then apply that to legalisation.

The truth is there is very little research into recreational cannabis (and medical) because it was illegal worldwide and research was not permitted except in special circumstances.. A lot of the "papers" are not peer reviewed and have vested interests - law enforcement agenicies, and alcohol etc...

What the public need to do is take a step back from the  hysteria and take a broad outlook on a drug that has been in use for millennia. Then look at the social effects and balance that against the effects of making drugs illegal.

There is a simplistic school that believes that anything you "don't like" should be banned - those people then look round and cherry pick often spurious "evidence" to back up their point of view - which in reality is a prejudice and not an opinion.

I have quite a bit of experience in this field, dealing with problems that CUD causes.  Broken families, petty theft etc.  My experience is not medical but judicial.  My first reaction was to study up on it, and so not being judgmental from a position of ignorance to try it.

I read everything available to me 20 years ago.

I am not against recreational use, but there have to be stringent safeguards so that it doesn't end up in the hands of anyone with a developing brain (males <26 yo, females <24 yo), no driving any vehicle or bicycle under the influence (the UK judiciary say that's within 36-48 hours) and the most severe penalties for anyone breaking those.

especially supplying or facilitating those under these age limits.  Recreational use has to be a privilege not a right, I'd prefer to see those prone to mental illness not use it, but I doubt that's possible.

10 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

If stoner is offensive, suggest another description.

I don't agree calling drinkers alcoholics is correct, but p?ss head, boozer, drinker is descriptive although p?ss head is probably offensive.

You come up with one, its a shame someone as seemingly as  educated as you is so narrow minded.

Just now, sungod said:

You come up with one, its a shame someone as seemingly as  educated as you is so narrow minded.

I like to think I have an open mind, it's clear you don't.

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

I like to think I have an open mind, it's clear you don't.

Not as educated as you claim you are, see ya,

12 hours ago, Galong said:

This is nothing more than your opinion. What was astounding (in my opinion), was the quick response by local small entrepreneurs. There was a tremendous boon for new businesses. What should be addressed or researched is in the economic boon from this new cottage industry.

"public health will show too many people affected in absolute numbers" Hogwash in every way. Who and how are they going to be able to discern the difference between the health effects of smoking tobacco vs pot on the lungs? How are they going to determine the health implications being directly as a result of pot versus the typical unhealthy lifestyle, tobacco, alcohol, etc??

"ABSOLUTE NUMBERS"  Come on, man. 🤦‍♂️

Those local entrepreneurs are engaged in illegal activity selling it to anyone. It affects not just the lungs as tobacco does. Easy to determine health implications. How about decriminalizing meth and cocaine as business opportunities are also great. 

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

The facts are spelled out by the medical experts in Thailand. Not from me, sir.

"

The move to recriminalise cannabis marks a significant departure from last year’s decriminalisation, which saw thousands of cannabis shops proliferate across Thailand.

This might be an indicator of general use by the youth here, or at the lest, a very popular use....

Or the huge appetite for a perceived slice of the $$$ pie. The youth of Thailand largely lacks the resources to purchase at said establishments and those that enjoy the use of weed and other substances will continue to have easy access to such, just as they did before it was "legal". 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Most Thais are not into cannabis. So the backlash was predictable when zero regulation resulted in stores opening in close proximity to schools, and the "cannabis culture" advocates naively put up obnoxious signage as if everyone world be thrilled with their WEED WORLD SUPER STORE. Only the regular consumers think it's suitable as a recreational intoxicant. It's a plant based medicine and should be treated like one. The Cookie types that wanted to bring their "culture" to Thailand 🇹🇭  didn't read the room very well. Pass the bong dude.

Edited by SomNaNa555
Spelling
  • Confused 2

My 2 international friends assured me last night at a party that  Thailand has been saying such things for years and nothing will become of it!

Why I asked?

Replied,Because there’s to much money involved !

So carry on .

14 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

How would you prefer I refer to them?  It's a description much like Farang refers to white caucasian people.

ummmm. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

The facts are spelled out by the medical experts in Thailand. Not from me, sir.

"

The move to recriminalise cannabis marks a significant departure from last year’s decriminalisation, which saw thousands of cannabis shops proliferate across Thailand.

This might be an indicator of general use by the youth here, or at the lest, a very popular use....

no facts have been presented to the public to view. we have simply been told to believe facts with no evidence to back it up.

please obtain the facts and studies used by the thai professionals so we can come to the same conclusion scientifically as they did.

sir. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Shocked farang said:

I feel the same way. They have overdone the advertising due to the lack of regulation.

Why doesn't the government think in terms of more regulation, instead of making it ilegal?

It's going to be a challenge for them to roll back the supply chain now. The government is probably going to make compromises, however, a lot of the businesses are set up by westerners which may not be motivation for them to do much for them. 

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Henryford said:

It was obvious from the start that turning Thailand's youth into a bunch of stoners was not a good idea. You don't need to be an "expert" to work that one out.

It's good for the cheap Burmese labor,,In a few more years there would be no Thais working 

7 hours ago, stoner said:

no facts have been presented to the public to view. we have simply been told to believe facts with no evidence to back it up.

please obtain the facts and studies used by the thai professionals so we can come to the same conclusion scientifically as they did.

sir. 

Did you read the links I posted? CUD is well documented by medical experts and universally accepted as fact.

6 hours ago, JulesMad said:

Nobody EVER died of an overdose cannabis!!!
Alcohol does so much more damage to own body and society as a whole...

Nonsense.

Cannabis-related deaths in England and Wales 2022 | Statista

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

Did you read the links I posted? CUD is well documented by medical experts and universally accepted as fact.

its a good thing thailand is not talking about cud though. they are talking about something totally different. 

did you read the original story ?

citing an alarming rise in psychiatric cases linked to the drug’s recreational use.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, stoner said:

what do you mean nonsense ? please show me 1 single verified case where a human died from thc overdose ? 

cannabis related deaths is not the same as dying from cannabis.

Colorado doctors claim first marijuana overdose death | 9news.com

5 minutes ago, stoner said:

its a good thing thailand is not talking about cud though. they are talking about something totally different. 

did you read the original story ?

citing an alarming rise in psychiatric cases linked to the drug’s recreational use.

Which as I said is well documented in more advanced western communities who document such things.

We can't say it's harmless when clearly it isn't.

Those who want recreational cannabis to continue are better focused on how to do it more safely than argue it's harmless.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Colorado doctors claim first marijuana overdose death | 9news.com

too many ifs and maybes in that story. also many other doctors disagreeing with their assumption. cannabis is also widely known to be anti inflammatory as well. 

the story then further goes on to say that no one else accepts it as bulletproof evidence. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

We can't say it's harmless when clearly it isn't.

absolutely. i never say it's totally harmless. i can vouch personally of the effects on memory. 

I think the whole campaign to allow recreational use to continue was flawed.  

Nobody pro-recreational use got in the driving seat and said how the system could be tightened up to address concerns, and importantly, taxed & controlled. 

Instead they were like lemmings saying "prove it's a problem", and unfortunately that is well documented by prestigious organisations worldwide.

• Haha 1